Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Visual Studio Beta 3?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Briden

Is there going to be another Beta of Visual Studio before we reach RTM?

How about Release Candidates, will there also be a few of those?  are there any project milestone dates for these?

I am just curious to know how long before i should jump on the bandwagon, I want to give myself enough time to get familiar with it, but not so much that by the time the final release comes out everything has changed.

Last I heard the target date for release was Q4 2005, which probably means 23:59:59 Dec 31st, 2005..  and even that sounded likely to slip.

When is the next significant code drop scheduled to happen?

• User profile image
    figuerres

Briden wrote:
    Is there going to be another Beta of Visual Studio before we reach RTM?

How about Release Candidates, will there also be a few of those?  are there any project milestone dates for these?

I am just curious to know how long before i should jump on the bandwagon, I want to give myself enough time to get familiar with it, but not so much that by the time the final release comes out everything has changed.

Last I heard the target date for release was Q4 2005, which probably means 23:59:59 Dec 31st, 2005..  and even that sounded likely to slip.

When is the next significant code drop scheduled to happen?

based on prior relases and such I think mid sept. will be ither the final and launch at PDC (sept 15 week of)
    or it will be in RC# like RC1 or RC2

depending on bugs changes etc... we may see a new beta or a move to RC1 status soon.
    lets see m,j,j,a,s == 4 months and about 2 weeks to PDC  if the current build is looking good they could have an RC1 June 1 and a final build sometime in AUg with a RC2 aug-sept if a bad problem is found.

thats my guess of what they are shooting for.

• User profile image
    mhawley

My goodness...seriously, beta 2 just came out and now you want to know when the next one (whether its beta or rc) will be coming? Seriously, chill out and enjoy beta 2.

• User profile image
    irascian

mhawley wrote:
    My goodness...seriously, beta 2 just came out and now you want to know when the next one (whether its beta or rc) will be coming? Seriously, chill out and enjoy beta 2.

Am I the only one to find this post patronising and unrealistic?

Any good developer expects to see a road map for a new technology or product release - particularly when the beta's are so freely available. Most of us are working 60-80 hour weeks just struggling to get today's technology working on current projects. Playing forever with endless alpha's CTPS and beta's is only a serious option for the unemployed or those for whom the phrase "Get a life" was invented!

We've had over two years of different versions of Visual Studio 2005 and it's a perfectly valid question to ask "What's the plan for this product? What are the major new releases due out before commercial launch? I need to know so that I can balance my work load and personal life with the need to get to grips with what's likely to impact me in the future". Knowing what future pre-production releases are due out and approximately when are all equations in working out when's the right time to jump on board.

Simply rushing to blindly "enjoy" every release and not caring when the next one is due out is, frankly, a waste of time and resources for those of us who want to balance a more healthy life/work balance.

Beta 2 is that jumping on point for me (for Visual Studio, but not VSTS which looks very much like the bad old days of Microsoft "Release 1" products from what I'm reading and seeing). But if Microsoft were to announce that the product were to be renamed Visual Studio 2006, that there was likely to be a beta 3 before a RC planned I'd probably put that experimentation on hold, do something more useful with my time (Microsoft aren't paying me to test their products after all), and wait for beta 3.

• User profile image
    figuerres

irascian wrote:

Beta 2 is that jumping on point for me (for Visual Studio, but not VSTS which looks very much like the bad old days of Microsoft "Release 1" products from what I'm reading and seeing). But if Microsoft were to announce that the product were to be renamed Visual Studio 2006, that there was likely to be a beta 3 before a RC planned I'd probably put that experimentation on hold, do something more useful with my time (Microsoft aren't paying me to test their products after all), and wait for beta 3.

Yeah, there are some things in .net 2.o that are very attactive. if this is close to the final and we have a clear map to final gold builds then I can start to plan on that first 2.0 app I hand over to a customer about the time 2.0 ships. but if the final is going to be next year then I have to wait and stick with 1.1 I can "Play" with the beta but even with the "Go-Live" most large custonmers will not accept 2.0 as it is in beta no mater what I or Microsoft say.

so on the one hand sure I can play with the new bits
    but I have to balance that time with time spent making $$$ to pay the bills.

if I can see the "Play time" turning into "Pay time" then I can start to push 1 or 2 clients into a trial program with me ... but I'm not going to do than unless I have clear signals that this is the last mile to the release of the final supported bits.

• User profile image
    footballism

as far as myself is concerned,I'm an amateur developer,so I really don't care about whether or not this product is the beta phase or in the release phase.all I want to do is to have fun with it,and keep myself up with the MS latest technology.
       but as an aside,bcos I'm a slow learner so I really hope Microsoft won't change their technology so frequently.if we look at what Sun Microsystem does in this regard,ya know,the JDK is still the 2003 release bits.and Java developers can have more time get themselves familiar with and proficient in the Java technology,that can be something much greater.

• User profile image
    figuerres

footballism wrote:
       as far as myself is concerned,I'm an amateur developer,so I really don't care about whether or not this product is the beta phase or in the release phase.all I want to do is to have fun with it,and keep myself up with the MS latest technology.
       but as an aside,bcos I'm a slow learner so I really hope Microsoft won't change their technology so frequently.if we look at what Sun Microsystem does in this regard,ya know,the JDK is still the 2003 release bits.and Java developers can have more time get themselves familiar with and proficient in the Java technology,that can be something much greater.

Yeah and some of us folks are starting to tell MSFT that the "CHURN" rate of MSFT bits is getting to be a killer and had to change from here on out to be less breaking chnages every time we get new stuff....
    some times it feels like we have to climb mount everest and then just when we are ready to summit ...

BANG!  Microsoft Mount Evererst V4 for 2005 -- start climbing now!

Uhg.... stop the pain!

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

Briden wrote:
    I am just curious to know how long before i should jump on the bandwagon, I want to give myself enough time to get familiar with it

Then you should have jumped already!!!  Really, if you're not starting now (with beta2) it will be too late...
    Also, beta2 is feature-complete, so it will merely be bugfixes between the current release and RTM.

• User profile image
    Briden

irascian wrote:
    mhawley wrote: My goodness...seriously, beta 2 just came out and now you want to know when the next one (whether its beta or rc) will be coming? Seriously, chill out and enjoy beta 2.

Am I the only one to find this post patronising and unrealistic?

nope, you aren't the only one.  Fact is, i would like to play with VSbeta2, but unfortunately, play is all it will be, not commercial work.  We simply cannot use beta software for real development (unless on a trial basis as you mentioned). 

To schedule real development, we need some sort of roadmap.  I'm not staying, release beta 3 (or RC1) right now, i am just asking if there are plans for it.

I agreed, churn at MS is getting crazy, and I expect it to continue to do so, at least until the slew of new things all revolving around Longhorn come out, and the industry again takes a paradigm shift.  In fact, after that, it will probably continue as well, they are already planning for the NEXT visual studio after 2005 (orcas), is it to much to ask for at least target dates for code drops for the current one in the breach?

• User profile image
    Sampy

While a lot of people are working on making our system more predictable currently it's very hard to say with certainty when things will be done.

I know this sucks for you but our thought is that it's better to wait and give a date you're sure about then start throwing them out there and have to change them (and prompt "Microsoft slips X!" and the associated slashdot craze about how if it was open source it would be done already).

It's not that I'm not sympathetic but try to see it from our side too.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.