Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

SQL Server 2005 Express

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Just wondering... but what are the EULA limitations on this SQL Server product...my main questions are:

Can you legally use it in a production environment?
    Are there connection count limits as well?
    Any other snags/catches?

Ciao
    -W3bbo

• User profile image
    Blkbam

Yes
    No
    Any other snags/catches?
    - Define snags/catches (maybe the document above will answer this)

• User profile image
    eddwo

The limits are 2Gb of data, and a single processor. But other than that it should be fully featured. Much simpler than the MSDE situation.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Blkbam wrote:
    Yes
    No
    Any other snags/catches?
    - Define snags/catches (maybe the document above will answer this)

Sweet Smiley

MySQL, we have a rival Smiley

• User profile image
    TimP

I believe another limitation is it can only use up to 1GB of RAM, but that's not a problem for most non-commercial work.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

W3bbo wrote:
    MySQL, we have a rival

I think some people will argue with you on this point. If Microsoft intends to charge for the Express SKU's (which I believe is something that they already have stated) then many people will argue that it's not free. If however it's just $49, thats a small price to pay for such a database, even with the limitations that it has.

• User profile image
    pikatung

Tyler Brown wrote:
    W3bbo wrote: MySQL, we have a rival

I think some people will argue with you on this point. If Microsoft intends to charge for the Express SKU's (which I believe is something that they already have stated) then many people will argue that it's not free. If however it's just $49, thats a small price to pay for such a database, even with the limitations that it has.

According to the FAQ, SQL Server 2005 Express is the lone exception.

How much does SQL Server Express cost?

SQL Server Express is free to use and redistribute. End-users must agree to the Go Live licensing to distribute this release of SQL Server Express Edition. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/golive.[/quote">http://msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/golive.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.