Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IIS Remote Admin

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

'Lo

Question: Where is the MMC Snap-In to administer IIS from another machine on the LAN? I've installed the WS2003 AdminPack, but the IIS Snap-In isn't included.

So.... where is it? (And more importantly, how do you install it?)

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Can't you just connect Computer Management to another system and do it from there?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sven Groot wrote:
    Can't you just connect Computer Management to another system and do it from there?

Nope... that just shows the options for which I have the Snap-In for... such as SQL Server and Disk Mangement.

If you want to admin something, you need the Snap-In for it first... I got the SQL Server Snapin (aka "Enterprise Manager") from the SQL Server CD.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Installing the WinXP included snap-in doesn't work?

• User profile image
    manickernel

I was looking for this the other day. The IIS 5.1 Server Administrator for XP will let you manage other IIS 5 sites by right clicking and selecting "connect to Server" but it won't do IIS6. Gives an error saying you need IIS6 update. But could not find any "update"and Microsofts own KB say's you either need to use TS, run the Admin Tool from another IIS6 site, or use web administration. So I TS to a 2003 server to do this.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324282

• User profile image
    theogray_com

I think what you're looking for is the IIS6 Manager which is here: IIS 6.0 Manager for Windows XP

• User profile image
    W3bbo

theogray_com wrote:
    I think what you're looking for is the IIS6 Manager which is here: IIS 6.0 Manager for Windows XP

Cheers Smiley

....But when I try to connect, it says "Interface not supported"

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.