Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Auxiliary Display Security

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Tyler Brown

I must admit, I don't know much about the specifics of the proposed auxiliary displays for the Longhorn era of hardware, but how is security going to be implemented? An obvious, and easy choice would be with biometric finger print readers integrated into the lid of your portable laptop/tablet. Are there other methods that are being considered?

• User profile image
    lars

Easy. A big black man named Ben. I hear he's expanding into new markets. I think it sounds like an excellent service.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I love how the image of the USA said 'Canada 4ever beeeeeaaatch'

• User profile image
    TomasDeml

Tyler Brown wrote:
    I must admit, I don't know much about the specifics of the proposed auxiliary displays for the Longhorn era of hardware, but how is security going to be implemented? An obvious, and easy choice would be with biometric finger print readers integrated into the lid of your portable laptop/tablet. Are there other methods that are being considered?

What would you like to secure? Be more specific, please.

• User profile image
    eddwo

Well its supposed to be able to show all your calender events and contact's details and possibly your email inbox. You can stop people trivially getting at your Outlook data by requiring a password on waking from standby. Its a bit pointless if all that same data is availble on the outside of the PC with a few button presses. I wouldn't be too concerned about protecting my WMP playlists though.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

eddwo explained exactly what I was refering to. These auxilliary displays are supposed to enable you to get quick access to important data, such as your Outlook email or appointments, however if someone gains access to your laptop physically, there will be nothing stoping them from obtaining all of your data.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Tyler Brown wrote:
    however if someone gains access to your laptop physically, there will be nothing stoping them from obtaining all of your data.

They would anyway... so I fail to see what the "big deal" is all about.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

True, they would eventually get to all of your data. The same thing applies to encrypting data. People still do it though, if for nothing more than to deter hackers and get a little piece of mind. I'm almost certain end users will be looking for security on these auxilliary displays. I know I'd like they have atleast a biometric finger print reader integrated into the lid of the laptop.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.