Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Symantec releases Enterprise Antivirus/Anti-Spyware v10

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    manickernel

Haven't seen it in the news yet. But Symantec's Enterprise support now lists Corporate AV10 and I called and got the new license number for download Friday. Will install Monday and start testing. They are mailing out the new licenses to all thier Enterprise customers.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

We use Symnatec where I work, and while it is usually decent, it tends to really bog down the machine when it's doing an update/full scan. 

Now, all I have to do is convince the support staff that Thursday afternoon is not a 'down window for virus scans'.

• User profile image
    Jachin

Yeah my boss handed me the media for version 10 last week. I haven't tried it yet but I've heard it is pretty good.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

ScanIAm wrote:
    Now, all I have to do is convince the support staff that Thursday afternoon is not a 'down window for virus scans'.

Last place I was at, they didn't trust the people not to turn off their machines for the weekend, so the "down window for virus scans" was Sunday, 16:00. Mind you, Sunday is a full work day around here. The Hour of the Cafeteria, since no-one could get any work done.
    Luckily, the people whose work revolves around writing interminable documents weren't affected much, so they didn't bother us in the cafeteria.

• User profile image
    manickernel

I agree Symantec does have a considerable effect on the ability to get much done, even when set to 'minimum' cpy utilization. We do ours at night. Main reason I am interested in the new release is that it will do real-time anti-spyware protection and uses a signature base to do so. Which should solve most of the issues we have with the Microsoft version. (Blocking logon scripts, etc.) Viruses really are not a problem anymore, but spyware alone causes us to reimage about 10-15% of our workstations annually, which is a pain. Nevermind the impact on the ones we don't image, and at any given time about 25% have some form of spyware/adware on them.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.