Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Update

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Hey

Can any of you guys get on Windows Update? Whenever I try to get to it I get the following error:

Windows Update cannot continue because a required service application is disabled. Windows Update requires the following services:

Automatic Updates enables detection, downloading, and installation of critical updates for your computer.
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) enables faster, restartable downloading of updates.
    Event Log logs Windows Update events for troubleshooting. To ensure that these services are enabled:

Even though BITS is enabled.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I just hit it and it worked.  I did notice, though, that I have Automatic updates turned on.  You may want to try turning it on for a test.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ScanIAm wrote:

I just hit it and it worked.  I did notice, though, that I have Automatic updates turned on.  You may want to try turning it on for a test.

I've got BITS and AutoUpdates enabled... still returns Error 0x8DDD0018

• User profile image
    Manip

Works fine.

Are the events and encryption services running?

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

W3bbo wrote:
    ScanIAm wrote:

I've got BITS and AutoUpdates enabled... still returns Error 0x8DDD0018

To quote an old network admin, STFG

first hit:  http://www.updatexp.com/0x8ddd0018.html

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ScanIAm wrote:
    To quote an old network admin, STFG

first hit:  http://www.updatexp.com/0x8ddd0018.html

I already said that both AutoUpdates and BITS are enabled.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

My bits service is stopped and is set to manual.

• User profile image
    manickernel

Is this a legal copy of XP? Seems like I read somewhere they were going to disable updates for known pirated serial keys.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Nevermind

Working now...

Turns out AutoUpdates has to be set to "Automatic" and BITS to "Manual" as well as both being on.

Odd how it doesn't work when AutoUpdates are set to "Manual".

• User profile image
    MurphyB2005

After the pirated question, it now magiclly works...YES!!!

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

I feel sorry for the pirates come mid year.  Bill Gates will be doing his best Ace Ventura impression, thrusting his hips saying "You feel that buddy HUH, HUH, HUH !!!!!"

• User profile image
    irascian

Beer28 wrote:

I sincerely hope that Bill Gates or Microsoft or whatever stamps out ALL piracy everywhere.

It's not going to happen though, is it?

What REALLY hacks me off is that whenever a company introduces anti-piracy measures it's the legitimate purchasers who get penalised, while those using pirate copies just happily go and download hacked versions from Warez.

I have two laptops (one running beta software, one running current software - intended for use on customer sites) and two PCs at home - one a hi-res graphics PC, the other a "typical user PC", but I can only have software like Macromedia installed on one PC without having to pay a fortune for multiple copies, which I'm not going to do since I'm one person only able to use one copy at a time.

Then there's the whole DVD mess. The production costs are way less than that of VHS, the royalties paid out are less etc etc and yet we're paying a LOT more for legal copies. And what do we get for paying out all that cash? Every single disc in a multi-disk collection in the UK typically has a long tedious "Stop piracy" trailer at the start that can't be skipped via any menu buttons, chapter indexe leaflets and booklets that used to be the norm (there's a reason why there are those two prongs in a DVD case!) are being cut out, and decent extra's are deliberately held back for a second version of the DVD released months after the first.

• User profile image
    Rossj

irascian wrote:
    Beer28 wrote:
    I sincerely hope that Bill Gates or Microsoft or whatever stamps out ALL piracy everywhere.

It's not going to happen though, is it?

No it's not. Having said that I don't believe stamping out piracy is in Microsoft's best interests. If it were impossible to pirate Windows then all those people who are currently using pirated copies of Windows have to move elsewhere - do you think they are suddenly going to start paying for their software? I don't, I think they are going to find something that is free.  It would be interesting to see if anyone has any numbers for the pirated versions of windows, I suspect it is a lot higher than anyone suspects, and I wonder if this contributes to the high market share?

As for movie piracy, it appears you can get longer in jail in the UK for copying a film at the cinema than you do for murder or rape. Not sure I like that. I still think the movie industry should go after the people doing the copying from screeners (which needs the help of a cinema employee) though.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

MurphyB2005 wrote:
    After the pirated question, it now magiclly works...YES!!!

Oh har-har... a cynic Wink

Yes, my Windows installation is legit.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

irascian wrote:
    but I can only have software like Macromedia installed on one PC without having to pay a fortune for multiple copies, which I'm not going to do since I'm one person only able to use one copy at a time.

Lets hope the new "Macradobe" changes the agreements to something like VS's where it's a single-user license, not a single-seat license.

And how about Academic EULAs that don't prevent commerical use, eh?

• User profile image
    MurphyB2005

Beer28 wrote:

No more NNTP, no more fileshare. Though I'm pro fileshare for video and music like mp3's and stuff.

Interesting you can be all for MP3's, Video, and Music, but against software piracy.

I love humans Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

MurphyB2005 wrote:
    Interesting you can be all for MP3's, Video, and Music, but against software piracy. I love humans

Software Piracy != Music Piracy Wink

Besides, all things considered, MP3 > WMA on the grounds that there's no room for DRM that is almost always implemented in an unethical manner.

• User profile image
    androidi

I believe non-pirate Windows penetration is quite high atleast on USA/Europe. My logic here is simply that even while a lot of people may be using pirated keys, they probably also have some OEM windows that came with their desk/laptop. For example with a laptop you may get XP Pro with the HDD in 2 FAT32 partitions. Of course you Could convert it to NTFS but if memory serves me right the default cluster size after that may be on the low side - not absolutely sure though. Anyway small HDD in 2 partitions and possible non-optimal cluster size. In the laptop case the activation would not have been that big deal but any power user (I think many developers are power users too) could be tempted to re-install with a "non-activation" key. Well in any events I think most people have Windows but whether they actually use it is a different question.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.