Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows XP SP2: Tech Nightmares

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    MasterPi
  • User profile image
    pikatung

mVPstar wrote:

Imagine what terrors await those who switch to *gasp* a different OS?

• User profile image
    Manip

I love stuff like this, it means I get to spend 4 hours cleaning off some guys XP full of spyware because he read that SP2 is bad/dangerous/insecure/slow etc.

• User profile image
    Cairo

Manip wrote:
    I love stuff like this, it means I get to spend 4 hours cleaning off some guys XP full of spyware because he read that SP2 is bad/dangerous/insecure/slow etc.

I took the approach that Windows software that doesn't work under SP2 is crap and needs to be fixed. I let vendors know that too. The biggest problem I've had is with Solomon, amusingly enough.

SP2 and Firefox are universally deployed an all Windows machines I control (home, work, family). It's a winning combo, at least as far as malware is concerned.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

I really don't have much problem with SP2. It has an adequate popup blocker, beats a lot of the ones out there that seem to disallow user defined open windows. 

Also, I kind of like the security warning. My sister was just recently fooled into downloading an MS-DOS app from an Instant Message (AIM virus). She first got a publisher warning telling her she should verify who sent the piece of code first before downloading it. She clicked okay since she knew a friend sent it. Once saved on her system, she ran the file.  When she ran it, another security warning came up.  Then she IMed me and asked whether she should open the file or not.

Of course, without all those warnings, she probably would have fallen into the viral trap. SP2 has some awesome security advancements that seem to be very misconceived.  So it doesn't work all the time, but the fact is, it does work most of the time.

BTW, seems like CNET has been lately posting articles about Windows and MS being weak...

Guys, make sure that Longhorn is the best thing ever and it will put shame to OSX!!!

Please Smiley

mVPstar

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

mVPstar wrote:

BTW, seems like CNET has been lately posting articles about Windows and MS being weak...

Guys, make sure that Longhorn is the best thing ever and it will put shame to OSX!!!

We're trying Smiley

Articles like that one (From October '04 btw) really frost me, because they're SO harmful to customers.

Every single one of the "annoyances" they cite is a mitigation for a very real problem that customers see every day.

They also described XP SP1 as being "creaky".  IMHO, it wasn't - certainly not compared to XP SP2. 

XP SP2 was simply more secure compared to XP SP1 - it enabled a firewall by default (not the best firewall on the market, but an adequate firewall), it warned users when executables were downloaded from the internet (thus allowing you to know who wrote code), it warned if code wasn't signed (because if the code isn't signed, you don't know if you're really running the program you think you're running).  It added "nagging" when you download a patch that requires a reboot - why?  Because if you don't reboot, you're not running the patch.

I really hate it when "journalists" put out stuff like this without considering the 99% case (or at least calling out that they're writing to the 1% case).

For the vast majority of users, XP SP2 is a godsend.

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

mVPstar wrote:

Please

mVPstar

I think you're asking a bit much. Not so much from MS's end, but more of from the OSX. Think of it this way. If Apple put out a tablet when MS did, and MS did not, the Tablet would have been heralded by the press as yet another Innovation (tm) from Apple. Instead, Microsoft gets accused of copying from everybody from Apple to Palm. Microsoft puts in multi-user signons and Microsoft is merely copying from UNIX. But when Apple did it, they were heros (well, maybe not heros, but you get the idea.. )

Don't get me wrong. I hope you're right. I just don't see it happening.

• User profile image
    Manip

I would like to see Longhorn as good as OSX but I
    can't see it happening... It would break too many
    applications. The ONLY way Microsoft could pull
    something like that off is if they dropped backwards
    compatibility with non-Longhorn applications.

• User profile image
    otech

to suggest turning off automatic updates as a 'good' idea to avoid downloading security updates is blatently stupid. i would rather customers downloaded/run microsofts code than the code it its there to prevent being downloaded/run!

fortunately it appears their own poll shows that most people have the common sense to ignore this bad advice..

• User profile image
    lars

I've had zero unexpected problems with SP2. The world is moving forward and if your computer is attached to a network you better keep up.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

LarryOsterman wrote:
    We're trying

Yay Tongue Out

When I said "put shame to OSX", I meant it stop all these annoying rants of OSX advocates (not all people do) against Windows.

mVPstar

• User profile image
    Rossj

mVPstar wrote:
    LarryOsterman wrote:We're trying

Yay

When I said "put shame to OSX", I meant it stop all these annoying rants of OSX advocates (not all people do) against Windows.

mVPstar

Some of us Mac users actually use both and try not to preach too often Smiley Right tool for the job I reckon, it is just for home use, for me, that is a mac.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Rossj wrote:

Some of us Mac users actually use both and try not to preach too often Right tool for the job I reckon, it is just for home use, for me, that is a mac.

Oh yes, same here.  Except, I don't really have any job that only a Mac could accomplish.  I do all my video editing and GFX design on my PC. Smiley

mVPstar

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I do have a few issues with SP2 still...

a) I want my booscreen back!
    b) SP2 incorrectly detects non-DHCP NICs stuck in "Retreiving network address" mode, even though its working perfectly
    c) If Microsoft had no issues breaking programs with SP2, then why are they kicking up a fuss with the small number of incorrectly written websites that would 'break' if IE7 conformed to standards?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Beer, can you get on DotNet Msgr? I've been trying to email you.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Beer28 wrote:
    W3bbo wrote: Beer, can you get on DotNet Msgr? I've been trying to email you.

sure thing, I'll use gaim though.

Point of interest: .Net Messenger is the name of the service. MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger are the Microsoft clients for that service. Gaim is also a client, so even when you use gaim, you're still using the .Net Messenger Service.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Beer28 wrote:
    I thought it was MSNP v.X

MSNP is the protocol behind the DotNet Messenger Service.

This compares with AIM and ICQ, both are different services, but both employ the Oscar protocol.

• User profile image
    Manip

Windows Messenger Protocol? Tongue Out

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.