Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Another C9 suggestion

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Can you remove the target="_blank" attribute on anchor elements inside posts? When I click on a link, I want to control what happens to it... if I want a new window (or tab), I'll tell Firefox (or IE) to do that for me, I don't like it when the site makes this descision for me. It's a shame neither browser has an "open in same window" command.

After all... this is why the W3C removed the target="" attribute from XHTML1.1 (but it does get imported back in if you add the Frames Module)

Anyone agree with me on this point?

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

I like it opening in a new browser in IE. I know it is annoying for Firefox users but to fix that C9 just has to detect the browser and remove target="_blank" for Firefox.

My primary browser is IE, I like having C9 open pages in a new browser window. But that is my personal preference, this debate could last forever. Maybe Charles should poll it and see how it goes. Until IE gets tabs, I want target="_blank" to stay for IE users and users of any other browser that doesn't use tabs (is there any such thing Wink).

Keep it. Poll it. Then decide.
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

How about a setting in your Edit Profile page:

"Links in posts open in new browser window? : Yes | No "

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

W3bbo wrote:
    How about a setting in your Edit Profile page:

"Links in posts open in new browser window? : Yes | No "

Sounds good to me. If Charles can do it I'll vote for that.

Extracting...
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    sbc

A good compromise. That way the behaviour stays at it is without effecting users. Pity more sites don't give users the choice (you could set a cookie to remember the preference, if you don't log in to the site).

Often sites do open links in a new window to try and keep people on a site. Users can get lost when this happens - many windows open, back button does not work etc.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.