Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Virtual PC + Macintosh

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ceretullis

Hey, does anyone there at Microsoft know why the Virtual PC for Mac won't boot Windows 2000 on Mac OS 10.3??? Or if you know of the problem, is there a way to fix it or a patch coming soon?? (I'm running VPC 6.1.1 on OS 10.3.3 )

• User profile image
    matt0210

I'm running 2000 and Red Hat 8 on my Powerbook with 10.3.3 and VPC 6.x which ist not Microsoft rebranded. The released a point update shortly after buying the tech, but there was nothing new, so I skipped that version.
    What happens when you boot the OS? How did you install it, or was it an image?

• User profile image
    ceretullis

Well first let me say that I had my home directory encrypted and the system would not get past the disk check Smiley I turned that off, which improved the situation, now the machine boots and starts to load 2000 but only gets as far as changing from the boot screen to painting the desktop blue. I read some other reports on the net regarding XP that said that it did in fact boot but took several hours... I think that report pointed the finger at the filesystem being journaled. All reports of issues seem to suggest that reinstalling VPC does nothing to improve the situation, but for the record here is the install process I followed: I started by installing VPC 5 from connectix (as this is the only version I had an OS image for). I upgraded from VPC 5 to VPC 6.0, then to 6.1, finally I applied the latest patch from microsoft putting me at 6.1.1. Somewhere in there it was rebranded, I'm not sure where. I justed checked, my filesystem is journaled. Is yours? curious since your VPC is working.

• User profile image
    ceretullis

I turned journaling off on my HD, that seemed to have no affect on the VPC performance. The only interesting thing I noted was the VPC seemed to think that it had only 28M of RAM to use, when I allocated 128M of physical memory in the settings.

• User profile image
    matt0210

10.3 is journaled by default, so yes, mine is too. I don't store huge things (like a disk image) in my home folder because others may need it too. I've been contemplating encrypting it myselft. Apple does say, home folders greater than 40GB are noticably slower. Anything smaller should be neglegible performance wise.
    About boot times, I've never had any issues. So far I've had Win 98, 2000, XP, 2003 installed and they seemed to be ok speed-wise, considering 98 is a joke and 2003 is huge. I do have a gig in the PB, so I'm not that cheap when it comes to allocating RAM Wink I usually give 384 to 512. I don't touch real PC's with less either.
    I don't recall which VPC version was the first for X, but I did a clean install of 6.0 on my Powerbook. By the way, I lied to you, I do have the MS Version 6.1.1 installed. (I don't remember installing updates though!)

VPC with 28MB RAM ist a whole different matter. Does the Mac see all of it's ram (System Profiler)? What kind of G4 is it?

• User profile image
    ceretullis

I only have a 500Mhz G4 with 512M RAM, the only good thing is the particular version I have came with 1 Gig of L2 cache, where none of the faster G4's have that. I would do a clean install of version 6.0 but then I don't have any OS packs that will install... you see the dilema. I could install linux, but I already have a *nix at my finger tips... About the memory, in the VPC settings I set the VPC to have 128MB, however once the machine has started you can view the utilization (the little puzzle-piece icon at the bottom of the VPC window). It is on the utilization screen where the VPC is showing the breakout of the memory utilization and the total memory is 28MB (despite my setting it at 128MB)

• User profile image
    matt0210

I can't remember the last time I installed a pack. Since I still own a copy of 2000, I just install it from the CD, just like on a real PC.
    If VPC crashes while startin, you could find something in the crash log of that application.
    Sorry, but I'm all out of ideas...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.