Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

LH Request: Bring back List View

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

I know there will be a new way to organise data - with virtual folders and Mac like navigating.. but I prefer List / by type.

- i do not like details (redundant with new properties pane anyway)
    - Icons are too big on drives with many many folders
    - Tiles - ive never really used

• User profile image
    jamie

..well it wasnt in the last beta either (from what i remember)

*they want to be like Mac remember - with your data all over the harddrive haha

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Is it like some cruel running joke at Microsoft never to change the icon for "Offline Web Pages" ?

• User profile image
    Buzza

So can avalon give the same effects as looking glass - as its all vector based ?

• User profile image
    Buzza

if you, in longhorn could create the 'basic window' on a 3d object you would get the same effect wouldn't you - its just matrix tranformations ?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

jamie wrote:
    i dont have any data on LH box so here is a sample using XP views:

http://www.channel9.ca/longhorn/listview/

* im not refering to any window effects - just the ability to view small with no details

When you run at high resolutions, windows aren't meant to be maximised.

You'll notice that OS-X lacks a "maximise" button that fills a window to the entire screen area. Windows has the features back from Windows '95 when the average resolution was 640x480.

Thesedays, the only windows I maximise are Outlook and VisualStudio... sometimes Excel. Everything else I have as a window.

• User profile image
    jamie

i dont have any data on LH box so here is a sample using XP views:

http://www.channel9.ca/longhorn/listview/

* im not refering to any window effects - just the ability to view small with no details

PS - i got around network issues in this build by renaming my workgroup: WORKGROUP (on all the other machines) Beware if you change this in LH

• User profile image
    jamie

the worse part is they are really trying to remove anything that looks remotely like fileman - with the tree view

ive looked - its like they dont want it there anymore
    (*folder explorer bar is still there thank goodness)

Another thing i use all the time is "Up" arrow. Yes the breadcrum bar is there - but it takes a second to read. If im in a folder - i like to use Up to get back up. Not back - or read a long list of text.

tree view is the best way to understand whats on the drive. Im sure virtual folders will be cool - but im wary of not knowing where the actual data is (like on a mac)

speaking of mac - default LH install under C:\Windows is this:

ms - no more mac stuff.  list/tree view rules [y]

• User profile image
    jamie

in regards to "Up"

* why not leave in but real small (like above)

if you clicked the down/bottom arrow, it would open if only one subfolder - if more than one - clicking bottom arrow would render a flyout with all folders under parent

• User profile image
    lars

So, it's okay to post screenshots online now?

• User profile image
    jamie

i turned on "Standard Buttons" which was off by defualt.  They allow you to add "Up " to here - but it should be where it used to be - with back/forward

also - i found the views magnifier/slider. Neat - but still no list.  They have changed this to read "Small Icons" - but when you select it - the icons go across the screen ( like tiles) - not down the screen

defeats purpose of List (=small icons)

• User profile image
    W3bbo

jamie wrote:
    defeats purpose of List (=small icons)

I still remember Windows 98:

Thumbnails
    Large Icons
    Small Icons
    List
    Details

I've always wondered why they had "List" view... it's just Small Icons but without letting you drag the icons anywhere.

Speaking of thumbnail view... I want Longhorn to bring back '98 Thumbnail behaviour... y'know, where it displays a 16x16 icon of the file in the corner of the thumbnail, that was useful for identifying different types of files. I'm getting tired of accidentally opening the PSD versions of photos I've taken that have the same thumbnail as the JPEG.

• User profile image
    Manip

You could always use Windows XP's explorer on Longhorn...

• User profile image
    jamie

haha * i found the above "panther" folder by checking for fileman.exe in /windows/s32 (gone)

progman.exe is still there - doesnt work Wink

• User profile image
    jamie

lars wrote:
    So, it's okay to post screenshots online now?

well.. im not posting screenshots just for the sake of it
    i dont no how many people would want to see a flyout of folder views

is there no one here who likes list ??( all army neat and clean Wink

SAVE list!

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

I use Tiles, Thumbnails, and Detials Smiley

Not List, no. However - more ways of visualizing data is good. Less is bad.

Given Microsoft's much vaunted promise to Change the way you see information, I'd be astonished (and disappointed) to learn they'd removed such a basic feature from Explorer.

Oh - is Longhorn going to allow users to add Avalon stylesheets to visualize information? How about it? Not only change the "skin", but the actual formation in Explorer?

Now that would be something worth upgrading for. And it's pretty minor.

• User profile image
    Manip

They are planning on filling a product up I will be paying for with
    ads?! No frigging way! I'm not going to buy Longhorn if I have to remove
    all this junk. This isn't the same as a "free" messenger or media player,
    the desktop is sacred!

• User profile image
    jamie

but beer - pretend Windows was OSS ( hahahahahaha) ok .. (haha) end

if it was - and you were going to make Beer OS - the branding folder would be cool - assuming you could make it a) your own or b) cool to others

this will be used by Dell etc - but the property bar aspect of it i love ( Corel "innovated" this btw)

wherever you click - one toolbar shows you those options

glad to see ms stealing off a PC company!! lol

..buy...corel...graphics... ggzzztt

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.