Coffeehouse Thread

81 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

possible idea..

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    GooberDLX

Borrowed from Charles post here..

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=6797

I think that an open shared development project for Channel9 would be great! Imagine.. a community such as this, with sooo much talent, putting their colaborative efforts together to do something productive. We have developers, designers, thinkers, movers, and critics.. what more do you need? Smiley

Jake

• User profile image
    gmiley

ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!!

• User profile image
    miies

Well Jake, what would you suppose we do? Smiley

• User profile image
    GooberDLX

Im thinking something very useful to the .net world... there are many tools and such out there.. but something that hasnt been done, yet can benefit all of us developers.

What do we all want that .Net doesnt give us? Or possibly.. what if there was a solution for a non-profit or a large chunk of charity that could benefit from?

Maybe a web service/solution that people benefit from.. not necessarily like a grid solution, but something...

i havent had any coffee yet, give me some time Wink

Jake

• User profile image
    gmiley

The world could benefit from a Cyberdyne like solution. Or a "Big Brother" data system. Everyone is tagged and cataloged. Tracking systems would be set up in a grid fashion using BlueTooth or WiFi linked to a geosynchronous satalite grid system. This grid system is tied in to redundant node centers located in several countries, possibly 20 or so of these node stations would suffice. The database would be massive as it would store every detail about your life: Location, travel routes/habbits, shopping habbits, health status (including calculated emotional state based from physiological signals), etc...

The database would have to be replicated at each node center as well as intermitant off-site data stores.

On a more realistic note, what about a 'universal' middle-ware layer. Basically allowing you to interface different applications with a multitude of data sources. Giving users and developers freedom to choose out of a larger pool of solutions. Not really sure how it would even work but it sounds pretty cool. =)

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    GooberDLX

Isnt that what RFID is supposed to do?

Wink

Jake

• User profile image
    GooberDLX

Here's an idea..

Why not a complete ONLINE development solution..

Imagine an online source control + online IDE + online compiler..

.Net gives us the opportunity to do this, and others have created project pieces.. why not integrate them together..

WE NEED MORE IDEAS... DONT LET THIS DIE

Jake

• User profile image
    Jaz

i liked the grid idea that charles gave

• User profile image
    gmiley

Jake, I like that idea, an online development center. Imagine, not having to install an IDE on every PC you want to write code on. Imagine, visiting a remote branch of your company and being able to sit down at any PC and make changes to an application.

I think that idea is pretty sexy.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    GooberDLX

ProDev wrote:
    Isn't that what GDN is/was supposed to be? The online developer workspaces idea is pretty cool.

Yes.. that's why I said most of the pieces are out there, just not put together.. Why not do what they all do and do it better Wink integration is the key people! HAHA

Yea... we have to build this community.. and I think its building quite fine.. MSDN is already key to us, so thats why I think we have to differentiate ourselves on another level..

Where is Steve Ballmer when you need him? Smiley
    ("Developers.. Developers... Developers.. Developers")

Lets keep the ideas flowing!

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    miies

GooberDLX wrote:

Where is Steve Ballmer when you need him? Smiley
    ("Developers.. Developers... Developers.. Developers")

Wink

• User profile image
    GooberDLX

YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I will fill out your survey, Prodev.. when I get some time Wink

Jake

• User profile image
    GooberDLX

Robert the Bruce: Now, I know you've sacrificed many hours to the project. But fighting these odds looks like rage, not development.

William Wallace: It's well beyond the Windows API. Help me. For Christ's sake, help yourselves. If we join, we can create. If we create, well then we'll have what none of us has ever had before: an online developers community of our own.

bold words adapted from dialogue in Braveheart.. copyright of Paramount 1995

Jake

• User profile image
    Steve411

How about an online based programing language? Similar to wiki but a bit better, sorry wiki.

• User profile image
    lenn

I really like this thread guys. 

So let's talk about this a bit more. You are saying that you would like us to turn over all or part of Channel 9 to the community? Did I read this correctly? 

I love the idea of everyone contributing to the site in many ways.  We have an opportunity to build a community together as a community. Obviously the video stuff is hard for you guys to shoot since you aren't at Microsoft but there is a great kernel of an idea here.

What if we hypothetically opened up part or all of Channel 9 to the community to contribute to?  How would that work?  Love to hear your thoughts.  Believe it or not ...  I had this idea a long time ago but never thought the community would want to build their own community together with Microsoft. 

What if we partied together?

Hmmmmm ....

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.