Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

A question for Microsoft employees

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Whenever you have visitors or videos being recorded at your workplace (such as Scoble's videos)... is there like some company policy that says you have to switch your theme to Luna and have the Bliss Wallpaper?

Because in every single video I've seen, everyone is using Bliss w/ Luna, I find it hard to believe that no-one at Microsoft tries out the alternatives there.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

That would explain why we are still not getting new themes.

• User profile image
    rhm

Yeh, it's weird that. I mean I'm not a big fan of the whole theams/skinning craze, but I'd expect at least some people to switch to windows classic or at least change the wallpaper.

• User profile image
    Jose Francisco

I guess there's a policy which disallows Microsoft employees to change the apperance of Windows XP.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Jose Francisco wrote:
    I guess there's a policy which disallows Microsoft employees to change the apperance of Windows XP.

No... don't you see.. it's a conspriacy!

Wait! they're watching us! it's not safe to talk here! we must... we must warn the world of this conspiracy! yes...there's a conspiracy... microsoft wants bliss on every computer out there! by why? why? oh... ohm... there's subliminal messages in the wallpaper! yes... that must be it!

</Conspiracy Nutter>

• User profile image
    Jose Francisco

W3bbo wrote:

No... don't you see.. it's a conspriacy!

Wait! they're watching us! it's not safe to talk here! we must... we must warn the world of this conspiracy! yes...there's a conspiracy... microsoft wants bliss on every computer out there! by why? why? oh... ohm... there's subliminal messages in the wallpaper! yes... that must be it!

</Conspiracy Nutter>

LoL! Well, I did see one Microsoft employee using a different wallpaper, in one of Robert Scoble's Videos... Don't ask me which one Tongue Out I forgot Wink

• User profile image
    DMassy

I don't think there is any conspiracy or deliberate standardisation of desktops.
    I have a personal wallpaper on my laptop but tend to keep my desktop machines pretty much as default.
    Obviously if someone is being interviewed on video they are going to be careful not to have a preliminary schedule for a project on the whiteboard behind them or confidential screenshots on their display Smiley

Personally I find the defaults to be quite good, although I do change the "Hide extensions for known file types" in the folder options view menu to be unchecked.

Thanks
    -Dave

• User profile image
    MurphyB2005

Jose Francisco wrote:

LoL! Well, I did see one Microsoft employee using a different wallpaper, in one of Robert Scoble's Videos... Don't ask me which one I forgot

Which one? Expressionless

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

W3bbo wrote:
    Whenever you have visitors or videos being recorded at your workplace (such as Scoble's videos)... is there like some company policy that says you have to switch your theme to Luna and have the Bliss Wallpaper?

There's no policy about appearance.  That would be unenforceable as well as very Dilbert.

Why would anyone make such a policy in the first place? Sure, we shouldn't show unannounced software, etc, but otherwise, no one cares.

I think most people run bliss and Luna because they don't care about stuff like that very much. 

I have three machines in my office, each with multiple versions of Windows in different partitions.  Each is a bit different. I often switch background images to Space.com images, and I tend to use Silver over Blue. On my tablet, I run Royale (the new Tablet PC theme). I just switched to the Stonehenge picture, after getting tired of an image of Mars.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

BruceMorgan wrote:
    There's no policy about appearance.  That would be unenforceable as well as very Dilbert.

Sure it is... why else is there the "Prevent users from changing background image" group policy setting? Wink

• User profile image
    lars

DMassy wrote:
    I do change the "Hide extensions for known file types" in the folder options view menu to be unchecked.

I hope this default changes with Longhorn. It's not only annoying, it's enabled several security incidents over the years (double extensions, like "file.jpg.vbs" showing as "file.jpg" and tricking the user).

Creating some high quality themes (the less said about the "Christmas theme" the better) for Windows XP is a cheap and effective way to keep the product feeling fresh and interesting. I think it's strange that Microsoft is not taking advantage of this opportunity.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

lars wrote:
    Creating some high quality themes (the less said about the "Christmas theme" the better) for Windows XP is a cheap and effective way to keep the product feeling fresh and interesting. I think it's strange that Microsoft is not taking advantage of this opportunity.

Christmas Theme wasn't a Visual Style.

• User profile image
    Sampy

A lot of people re-image their machines a lot which could lead to lots of default desktops.

I use the 3 colors of the XP theme to differentiate my desktops on my KVM switch. Well, I used to anyway. I retired one machine and switched another to longhorn so it's pretty easy to tell them apart now Smiley

• User profile image
    Cairo

Sampy wrote:

A lot of people re-image their machines a lot which could lead to lots of default desktops.

Why so much imaging?

• User profile image
    rhm

Sampy wrote:

I thought about that, then I thought that settings like wallpaper and theme are part of the profile and surely you use roaming profiles?

• User profile image
    Sampy

We image a lot because it's the fastest way to create a "clean" environment.

Some people use roaming profiles and some don't. I don't but that's because I don't really feel the need to.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

rhm wrote:
    I thought about that, then I thought that settings like wallpaper and theme are part of the profile and surely you use roaming profiles?
    That way lies madness. Roaming profiles work well for a tightly-defined set of customers. Developers don't tend to be part of that set - we log off machines in the "wrong" order all too often, wiping out our profile changes in the process.

• User profile image
    Cider

rhm wrote:
    Sampy wrote:

If(machines.loggedin > 1) then
       roamingprofile.screwed.often = true
    endif

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.