Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Channel9 Spam

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

I just received two messages, both identical except the send date... one was today at 2129 the other at 2132.

Subject:

Channel 9 user email: FROM: THE DESK OF MR JOHN MARK
    johnmark_4000@yahoo.ca

DEAR Sriram Krishnan,

REQUEST FOR URGENT BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP

PLEASE PERMIT ME TO INTRODUCE MYSELF, I AM A DEPUTY DIRECTOR IN THE FEDERAL MINISTRY OF WORKS & HOUSING (FMWH) HERE IN ABIDJAN AND HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED TO SEEK FOR THE ASSISTANCE OF A RELIABLE FOREIGN COMPANY THROUGH WHICH WE CAN TRANSFER THE SUM OF US$50,000,000.00 (FIFITY MILLION U.S. DOLLARS ONLY). THIS SUM AROSE FROM THE DELIBERATE OVER-INVOICING OF SOME CONTRACTS AWARDED BY THE CORPORATION IN THE TWILIGHT DAYS OF THE LAST MILITARY REGIME. HOWEVER, THE CURRENT FAVOURABLE POLITICAL CLIMATE IN THE COUNTRY SINCE THE ASSUMPTION OF DUTY BY THE REGIME NOW PRESENTED AN OPPORTUNITY FOR THIS MONEY TO BE TRANSFERRED OUT OF THE COUNTRY.

YOUR ADDRESS WAS MADE AVAILABLE TO US BY THE ABIDJAN CHAMBER OF COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY. THEY ASSURED US OF YOUR COMPANY'S VIABILITY AND CAPACITY IN BUSINESS TRANSACTION, AND I HOPE IT WILL BE OF MUTUAL BENEFIT TO ALL OF US. OUR COLLEAGUES IN THE FEDERAL MINISTRY OF FINANCE HAVE JUST GIVEN A GO-AHEAD ORDER FOR THE REMITTANCE, SO WE HAVE SET IN MOTION THE MACHINERY FOR THE TAKE OFF OF THE TRANSACTION AND FURTHER ACTION WILL COMMENCE IMMEDIATELY WE HEAR FROM YOU.

WE AGREE THAT AFTER THE TRANSFER OF THE MONEY INTO YOUR ACCOUNT, YOU SHALL BE ENTITLED TO 20%, THE OFFICIAL SHALL TAKE 70% WHILE 10% HAS BEEN MAPPED OUT FOR LOCAL AND INTERNATIONAL EXPENSES THAT MAY BE INCURRED IN THE COURSE OF THE TRANSFER. PLEASE TAKE NOTE THE NATURE OF YOUR COMPANY? S BUSINESS IS NOT PARTICULARLY RELEVANT FOR THE SUCCESS OF THIS TRANSACTION. ALL WE REQUIRE IS YOUR WILLINGNESS TO CO-OPERATE. ALL NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS HAVE BEEN TAKEN TO ENSURE A NON-RISK SITUATION ON THE SIDE OF BOTH PARTIES.
    PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS DEAL CAN ONLY TAKE PLACE ON THE FOLLOWING CONDITION;

I) YOU WILL PROVIDE THE NAME OF YOUR BANK, TELEPHONE, FAX AND TELEX NUMBERS OF THE BANK, YOUR ACCOUNT NUMBERS WHERE THIS MONEY WILL BE LODGED INTO.

2) THE TRANSACTION SHOULD BE TREATED WITH UTMOST CONFIDENTIALITY AND SINCERITY CONSIDERING THE CALIBER OF PEOPLE INVOLVED.

3) ASSURANCE THAT OUR SHARE WILL BE GIVEN TO US WHEN THIS MONEY IS TRANSFERRED INTO YOUR ACCOUNT. THESE BANK INFORMATION WILL ENABLE US PUT APPLICATIONS OF CLAIM OF THE RELEASE OF THIS MONEY FROM CONCERNED GOVERNMENT AGENCIES AND IT WILL LAST FOR 14 WORKING DAYS.

PLEASE IF THIS PROPOSAL IS ACCEPTABLE TO YOU, OR IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS, FEEL FREE TO CONTACT THE ABOVE johnmark_4000@yahoo.ca

BEST REGARDS,

MR JOHN MARK

PLEASE NOTE: DO NOT FORGET TO INCLUDE YOUR PRIVATE TELEPHONE AND FAX NUMBERS FOR EASY COMMUNICATION.

I thought Channel9 had some kind of "10 second pause" between sending emails or "you've exceeded your email quota for today" system in place.

Has anyone else received similar (or the same) message?

• User profile image
    Cider

heh, I just got one of those as well...

• User profile image
    littleguru

I don't understand why people send those messages. I guess no user on this site would ever answer...

• User profile image
    Charles

Nice job spamming the Coffeehouse with this crap too, W3bbo. Smiley

Yes, we do have limits set. I'll need to make sure they are more rigid apparently...

User has been banned.

C

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Got that stuff too.

• User profile image
    androidi

Beer28 wrote:
    <quote>YOUR ADDRESS WAS MADE AVAILABLE TO US BY THE ABIDJAN CHAMBER OF COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY.</quote>

http://www.universityofnigeria.com/courses.htm

Accounting 419          ( CRN: 38821 ) This course teaches how to leverage yourself against the American banking system.  Simply write a check for at least $40,000 to an American and wait for them to deposit it.  (Don't worry you don't need to have that much in the bank).  Next, say the following...  "Ooops, sorry Mr/Ms American.  I made a mistake and sent you twice as much money."  The silly American will wait until their bank says the check clears, and then will happily remit $20,000 to you.  A few weeks later, your American friend will realize the check actually bounced.  This always bewilders those silly people.  They always looked so dazed and confused when their banks tell them the money is there...but then it isn't.  Anywho, it is not our worry.  We got the money for you.  Now go have some fun.  Take Ebay Strategies with this course for more profits.
    John Mark was in the class of '03, he's not on the alumni page, but he graduated with top honors...

I saw the UoN page earlier.. Its really genius! In ROTFLMAO terms!

I am sure you are aware it is a joke though. The guy who runs that page is against the stuff.

• User profile image
    Steve411

we should just sue these idiots and put them away for good.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Don't worry, they'll all go to a special hell, together with child molesters and people who talk at the theatre.

(woohoo, Firefly reference!)

• User profile image
    MasterPi

I don't really get any spam...

W3bbo, considering your "other spam" regarding your website and those "keywords" people often search into google to arrive at your website (yes, you know what I'm talking about), should you really be that surprised you have gotten spam? Smiley

Just kidding. Tongue Out

mVPstar
    P>

• User profile image
    W3bbo

mVPstar wrote:
    those "keywords" people often search into google to arrive at your website (yes, you know what I'm talking about), should you really be that surprised you have gotten spam?

Nah... I traced the Penıs Enlargement mails back to this Mailing-List I was a member of that Google "oh, ever so thoughtfully" decided to index.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

W3bbo wrote:
    Nah... I traced the Penıs Enlargement mails back to this Mailing-List I was a member of that Google "oh, ever so thoughtfully" decided to index.

Wow, now I'm truly curious of your interests... Smiley

mVPstar

• User profile image
    Tensor

littleguru wrote:
    I don't understand why people send those messages. I guess no user on this site would ever answer...

I think the response rate to this and other spam would terrify you. I did read once that spam gets a 7% response rate.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

mVPstar wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:Nah... I traced the Penıs Enlargement mails back to this Mailing-List I was a member of that Google "oh, ever so thoughtfully" decided to index.

Wow, now I'm truly curious of your interests...

mVPstar

T'was a Web Standards mailing-list... the penís enlargement emails were just regular "spam fodder"

• User profile image
    PeterF

just received a mail from Chidi Chika about the same thing...

Can you implement some timeout of 30 minutes between when you can send mails, or a 30 minutes period where mails get analyzed for similarity?

Peter

• User profile image
    Tensor

If I were a spammer, could I not just create enough made up accounts that I could iterate through the existing accounts, mailing each one from a different account each time?

Thats what I'd do. If I didnt have morals or a soul to lose Wink

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I actually want the "send email" function removed and replaced with a PM system... so my inbox doesn't get flooded, and in the event of my email system going down I can still get to my messages.

• User profile image
    Tensor

Then people could spam your IM instead of your email!

Great!

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Figures, just after posting about getting no spam..I end up getting an e-mail from Chidi chika. Smiley

mVPstar

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.