Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Never mind

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot
  • User profile image
    Charles

Sven Groot wrote:
    I've just received my first piece of spam through the Channel 9 user e-mail feature.

It was bound to happen eventually.

Agreed. This sucks. It's hard to determine spam until it's sent... The user who sent the spam has been banned.

C

• User profile image
    Maurits

Charles wrote:
    This sucks.

Don't take it too hard - spam is a natural consequence of making information exchange easier. Take it as a compliment Smiley

That said, there are tools to help against this kind of thing - you could put a Human-Interactive-Proof on the "send email" page - or you could check URLs in sent emails against SURBL - or you could install a sophisticated spam-detector like SpamAssassin...

But I wouldn't bother for just a single incident.  I'd wait for a pattern to emerge before deciding on anything.

• User profile image
    Manip

It wouldn't be too hard to add a "Last E-Mail Time" to a user's profile record, just set a 30min minimum time between e-mails that would make it not worth while spamming.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Beer28 wrote:
    regex the outgoing email from the form data for keywords, like "nigera", "bank", "million dollars", "$", "money transfer", "check".

If there is a match don't tell the user what it is so they can keep trying until they get past the filter, just tell the user the email could not be sent as is. That way they can't brute force past the regex as easily.

!

Think of the poor legitimate user...

• User profile image
    Manip

Maurits wrote:
    Think of the poor legitimate user...

Yes because all the e-mail I send though channel 9 has "nigeran bank" in it Tongue Out

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.