Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Sick of Adobe Reader?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Manip

I have run across a rather good alternative to the massive bloat which is adobe reader, it is called FoxIt, it is completely free and there is no "pro" version. It loads instantly and moving down pages in the PDF seems faster too. Worth a try.

Web Site
    Download Link

The only thing note worthy about this reader is that these guys also make PDF creation software for which there is a very small advertisement in the top right hand corner.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Hmmmm...

must check out, I need to automate PRINTING a pdf w/o hassles and to much $$$ and adobe 6.x leaves the darn app running with a window open...

thanks for the info.

• User profile image
    Cairo

You can use ghostscript to automate printing of PDFs. I batch up a day's worth of incoming eFax faxes into one big PDF, then print that at 6am each morning.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Interesting how it advertises for "PDF Editor"

....Because the PDF format isn't intended to be edited, only a document redistribution and feedback system. If you want to edit a document send it out as a *.doc file.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Cairo wrote:
    You can use ghostscript to automate printing of PDFs. I batch up a day's worth of incoming eFax faxes into one big PDF, then print that at 6am each morning.

A network I worked on had a HP 2000C color printer.  No Postscript, just PCL.  A Mac user wanted to be able to print to it.

After getting very frustrated I hit upon the solution of installing Ghostscript on a server and configuring it to watch a directory.  I shared the directory to the Mac and instructed the user to print-to-PDF, then drag the PDF to that directory to print it.

Worked like a charm.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Cairo wrote:

can you tell me how to setup for:

client is a windows 2000 pro pc
    software install must be simple / or one I can wrap up with a parent app.

my main app downloads a pdf file and then should send it to the printer with settings for 2 copies.

no pop-up windows, I can link a dll or do a dos-shell command.

if it runs a dos-command then the app must close when the print job is going.

so that the user does not have to close it after my app closes.

thanks

• User profile image
    stephbu

W3bbo wrote:

....Because the PDF format isn't intended to be edited, only a document redistribution and feedback system. If you want to edit a document send it out as a *.doc file.

Depends - you could argue that PDF is yet-another-document-markup-language, with appropriate editors/word-processors - this is definitely the spin that Adobe is pursuing with its document server products. 

• User profile image
    W3bbo

stephbu wrote:
    Depends - you could argue that PDF is yet-another-document-markup-language, with appropriate editors/word-processors - this is definitely the spin that Adobe is pursuing with its document server products. 

PDF isn't a document markup or document structure language. It's a page definition format. "Portable Document Format"

This is why PDF was so successful back when it started out... it was fully backwards compatible, things like XHTML are the future, but because they aren't "quick fix" solutions like PDF is... no one is really interested in adopting it.

• User profile image
    stephbu

W3bbo wrote:
    stephbu wrote: Depends - you could argue that PDF is yet-another-document-markup-language, with appropriate editors/word-processors - this is definitely the spin that Adobe is pursuing with its document server products. 

PDF isn't a document markup or document structure language. It's a page definition format. "Portable Document Format"

This is why PDF was so successful back when it started out... it was fully backwards compatible, things like XHTML are the future, but because they aren't "quick fix" solutions like PDF is... no one is really interested in adopting it.

You can split hairs over what markup is (I'm thinking symbolic structured data - not necessarily XML or even text) - whether compact binary or verbose text markup, PDF is still a document markup language with structure, formatting, data, metadata etc...  Just a word-doc etc. is too.

• User profile image
    androidi

Manip wrote:
    I have run across a rather good alternative to the massive bloat which is adobe reader, it is called FoxIt, it is completely free and there is no "pro" version. It loads instantly and moving down pages in the PDF seems faster too. Worth a try.

I really would have agreed here if I still was using the 6.x version. Acrobat 7 however is quite a bit faster. But I guess it was still too slow for you Smiley

• User profile image
    Aayush Puri

Manip - Which version of Acrobat reader are (rather were) you using?? Acrobat Reader 6 was surely a poor product. I had to think at least a couple of times before double clicking on a PDF file and in case I clicked onto a PDF link on the IE, rest assured that the window will become non responding with 100% CPU usage.
    But Acrobat Reader 7 has made a lot of improvements over Acrobat 6. It has a lot less loading time than it's predecessor. You can give Acrobat 7 a try - http://www.adobe.com.au/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

• User profile image
    TimP

W3bbo wrote:

One of the big selling points on Acrobat Professional is its ability to edit PDFs, so obviously Adobe has editing in mind.

• User profile image
    garretmagin

Beer28 wrote:
    PS- ..... If they had half a brain they'd hire a couple dev's to keep from looking bad. (it does render pdf's very well though, the UI is REALLY bad, considering how much money they make that is a total disgrace)

They did....

http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/7x/7.0/enu/AdbeRdr70_linux_enu.tar.gz

Although gpdf works for me.

-garret

• User profile image
    Bogusrabin

Beer28 wrote:

The problem with other viewers I have, is that sometimes I'll get manuals or ebooks with code in them as PDF, and I will need to copy the text out, and gpdf and others don't let me do that easily. That's why I use Adobe's in the first place.

You should try Evince. It will replace gpdf, gnome-gv, etc. and will be the default PDF-viewer in upcoming GNOMEs.

• User profile image
    Bogusrabin

Beer28 wrote:

I still don't see a text caret icon in the toolbar

"text caret icon" ... ?

My English is really bad, so it's hard sometimes to understand what people are actually meaning. My dictionary hasn't answer either Expressionless

Beer28 wrote:

I'm skeptical.

Smiley

Beer28 wrote:

Adobe made a REALLY nice viewer in adobe reader 7 for linux, and it is free. So I'm happy with this. I'm actually really pleasantly surprised.

Yes Adobe Reader 7 is really good, but Evince is still worth of testing.
    I will contribute Evince-team as much I can.

It makes PDF thumbnails also Wink

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Well if it loads instantly I guess it's worth a try. That ad is just a copy of Adobe's (which can be easily hidden Tongue Out). Does it option an Add-on for IE to open PDFs in the browser?

Looks partially not as good as Adobe Reader.
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    Bogusrabin

Beer28 wrote:

Actually, if you are a gnome contributer, I have another question for you.
    Will Gnome/GTK 3 be based on XCB or Xlib? I asked on gnome.org's forums but I haven't gotten an answer.

I meant I try to help developers as much I can. Fix bugs and file new ones to bugzilla.

You should go to irc.gnome.org #gnome #gnome-developers

EDIT:
    And of course news-groups: gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.*

• User profile image
    Bogusrabin

Beer28 wrote:

I'll do that, but first I'm going to hack the CVS sources for Gnome WM and do stuff I think is cool.
    One of the things I hate  about garnome is that it downloads the sources just in time before it compiles.
    Once I have a clean FC install to compile the CVS sources on, it will only remake touched files, and I'll only have to do the 2 hour build once.

Can't you just use CVS?
    Getting the most out of CVS in GNOME

Ok, we are badly OT now.

Hmm, is it possible edit those Metro-files? If I remember right some Adobe tools can be used to fill PDF-forms..?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.