Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Firefox improvements to be in 1.1

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    sbc

Looks like Firefox 1.1 will be a good release. They have had problems with updates due to the fact that they have never done anything of this scale (remember the difficulty in getting access to the site when Firefox 1.0 was released?). With the next version, binary patches (i.e. only download what has changed and patch existing files) may be used to update Firefox (rather than download the full installer). I expect when it is out you still download the full installer (via auto update, or downloaded directly via Firefox home page), but after that downloads will be much smaller (not that 4.5MB is that big).

You may get few people who complain, but remember this is done by a non-profit and hosting/bandwidth is offered to Mozilla by universities and interested companies (I'm sure Google and Yahoo may have offered some hosting/bandwidth - if not, hopefully they will in the future). You cannot compare it with Windows Update as that is provided by a multi-billion multi-national with deep pockets and a very large user base (so bandwidth costs are less of an issue).

The other big change is in how extensions are handled. Easier to install and remove (drop XPI into extensions directory, delete specific extension to unintall it). Extensions will not have to be installed in the extensions directory (you put a pointer in the extensions to where your extension is installed) - this could be useful as developers could do a standalone app that offered Firefox integration (and IE integration).

It may be later than expected (doesn't look like the Roadmap plan will be met), but I think it will be worth it.

Source: Inside Firefox.
    Update System
    Changes for Extension Developers

• User profile image
    sbc

Asa Dotzler is also asking for questions. Anything related to Firefox and Thunderbird.
    ask asa #16

Asa is the release manager and QA lead for Firefox and Thunderbird. So he decides when new versions of these programs come out.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I trust it finally has AD/Group Policy support now? Smiley

• User profile image
    sbc

No release date yet, but I assume when it is out it will. If not by the Developer Preview Release, then by the Preview Release. You could always ask Asa.

If not, then perhaps there will be more work for Cider (unless he can get patches submitted that are then applied).

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

I use both Firefox and Thunderbird, and as it stands right now, I'm never looking back. I'll have a look at IE 7 when it comes out RTM, but I don't think it will sway my decision. I use Outlook at work, and I just prefer Thunderbird. Sure it's nice to know the instant a message has been sent to you (provided the Outlook window is open), but I can do with the 1 minute delay of receiving those messages.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Beer28 wrote:
    Even if there were a native version of IE and outlook, I still wouldn't use them, because Netscape's stuff looks nicer and functions better.

And not because IE is devil spawn? Wink

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

The only reason I rely on IE right now is to browse Windows Update now and then. Sure I could use automatic updates, but it's so far in the background that I can't easily tell how much is downloaded or installed. Besides, I usually only use it after I've formatted (about 15 times now the past week). I've got my system all set up now, atleast until the next CTP bits come my way.

• User profile image
    Cider

W3bbo wrote:
    I trust it finally has AD/Group Policy support now?

I certainly haven't seen any budge for a while on the Bugzilla bug concerning group policy settings support (as in setting things like homepage, proxy, etc).  However, that what my project, FirefoxADM (http://sourceforge.net/project/firefoxadm) is aimed at.

In fact, its been a little bit too successful and is now into the tens (plural!) of thousands of machines that are using that I know about!

Mind, you can tell its quite a big market for IE as they (Dave Massey et al) spent the IE talk at WinHec slagging off Firefox for not being corporate quality because you can't lock it down via group policy!  (according to neowin)

I'd love to relook at the code and try and incorporate it directly into Firefox, but not yet...

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

Beer28 wrote:

So I don't miss it one bit, ditto for windows.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you hang out on a Microsoft Message Board if you don't miss windows / IE / (and I assume most other MS products..)?

• User profile image
    Maurits

What fun would a Microsoft board be if it was full of users unwilling to question Microsoft products?  Diversity is strength.

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

I'd agree with that statement, but I was wondering *his* (I assume he) motivation is.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

MisterDonut wrote:

I'd agree with that statement, but I was wondering *his* (I assume he) motivation is.

The same reason I hang out on fundamentalist christian boards... to play the devil's advocate (no pun intended)

Plus it's nice to see them squirm when I point out any hypocracies or contradictions they make Smiley

• User profile image
    Cairo

I hear SVG is in the works as well. I'm really looking forward to that!

Dave Massy, will IE7 be supporting SVG?

• User profile image
    Maurits

vector graphics standards wars... SVG vs. VML

• User profile image
    Cider

Adobe do a pretty good SVG Viewer for IE.

I found that it wouldn't support Firefox "out of the tin" but after moving the necessary plugin files across it does....except when you leave the page with that SVG on it, Firefox crashes (GAH!)

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

If I recall, Firefox 1.1 will feature 100% Native SVG support.

Cider wrote:
    Adobe do a pretty good SVG Viewer for IE.

I found that it wouldn't support Firefox "out of the tin" but after moving the necessary plugin files across it does....except when you leave the page with that SVG on it, Firefox crashes (GAH!)

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#AdobeSVG

• User profile image
    DMassy

Cairo wrote:
    I hear SVG is in the works as well. I'm really looking forward to that!

Dave Massy, will IE7 be supporting SVG?

I'm not going to discuss IE7 feature set beyond what has already been announced on the IE team blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/04/22/410963.aspx. Our first focus is to address key issues so that web developers have a consistent set of functionality on which they can rely.
    As others in this thread have pointed out there is a great addon from Adobe that supports SVG and IE has natively supported VML since IE5 in 1998 which offers largely the same set of functionaliity.
    Thanks
    -Dave

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Beer28 wrote:

So I don't miss it one bit, ditto for windows.

So if you arent a Windows user and dont wish to use Windows, then why do you even bother coming in here Beer28?  What purpose does it serve?  Bored or just time to kill, I wish I had time to kill like that.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.