Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Help request: FTP: Viewing live domain vs local

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

When Im here i type http://server

anywhere else this = www.jgrant.com

Is there any utility or tool on the net that would allow me to see exactly what net users see - not what I see locally?

For example: using http://server/ - my FTP stuff works - but when I go to a friends house - it says "you dont have access"

I was playing with WEFT on above blog. Works here - is there no way I can see what others see without going to a friend / family machine?

• User profile image
    Maurits

Try Anonymizer's Free Private Surfing

EDIT: hmm... not useful for what you're trying to do, never mind
    EDIT2: I suppose you could trying reconfiguring your IIS to only accept HTTP requests with a hostname of "www.jgrant.com" and not "server"

• User profile image
    jamie

wouldnt that still be local though?

I realise that its just looping cause jgrant.com here

What I really need is another entirely different PC / ISP connection - then I could check

Was wondering if there was somewhere on the net you could go - and type that URL - and theyd access it from another connection but somehow show that too you

maybe its impossible as its the same connection

• User profile image
    Maurits

That's how Anonymizer works.

• User profile image
    jamie

wait - its working...  THANKS [y]

..crap - no ftp for free users...

there wouldnt be anything else like this that i can test FTP?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

jamie wrote:

wait - its working...  THANKS

..crap - no ftp for free users...

there wouldnt be anything else like this that i can test FTP?

A trustworthy friend who lives outside of the country? Wink

Speaking of which, how come you're never online messenger?

• User profile image
    jamie

I like messenger - I open it sometimes at nite when im bored

it means saying hello to a whole lot of people when i use it - so if im working -i dont use it

- Dude! waz up?

- Where you beeen?

- Heeey!

- Check this out!

- Can you help me fix my pc - i think i have spyware

• User profile image
    Maurits

HTTP is relatively simple to echo.  FTP is something else again.
    HTTP just uses one port - port 80 - and it's stateless

FTP uses TCP 21, TCP 20, and various high UDP ports depending on port vs. passive mode - it's a firewall administrator's nightmare.  Luckily it's a well-known protocol so most firewalls can handle it natively.

If you allow anonymous upload/download you have to worry about being portscanned and used as a warez repository.

I'm not aware of any free anonymous FTP proxies.

But I think finding a volunteer should be easy on Channel9... once you've got it set up, you shouldn't need to worry about it regularly.

• User profile image
    jamie

before it was wide open - and thats exactly what happened warez dudes

so i had a slovak friend Jakub come by - and he made it so there was a password popped up

this is only for family to upload pics into their photo gallery folder - but after this change no one could upload anymore

so i turned on annon again - + allow only

i really dont want to get into setting up ftp password for everyones blogs

for example i have

"Drag you pictures into this window:"

<iframe src="ftp://www.jgrant.com/whatever-blog"></iframe>

Works perfect here - everyone else no access

so im reading about ftp in 2003 - applying what may fix it .. then waiting to go to brothers house to see if it worked.. haha

* i think my servers been C9dotted Wink

• User profile image
    Maurits

jamie wrote:

"Drag you pictures into this window:"

<iframe src="ftp://www.jgrant.com/whatever-blog"></iframe>

You can embed the username and password in the src:
    <iframe src="ftp://username:password@www.jgrant.com/whatever-blog"></iframe>

If you put funky characters in the username or password escape them with %dd syntax - for example, space becomes %20

You can find out the escape sequence for a password by typing the following in your address bar:

javascript:prompt("Escaped password is:", escape("a $%("));

• User profile image
    AndyC

Maurits wrote:

You can embed the username and password in the src:
    <iframe src="ftp://username:password@www.jgrant.com/whatever-blog"></iframe>

Except that IE no longer supports that syntax...

• User profile image
    Maurits

email me a username and password - I can initiate an FTP connection to www.jgrant.com so it doesn't seem to be a firewall problem.  Maybe it's a security zone thing.

• User profile image
    jamie

i had tried that.. again works here with the :password@

no where else though

* i have even spent days looking for FTP .asp components (as well as javascript ones) which either:

- worked - but only upload one file at a time

- or were .Net ... way to complicated (for me)

Here's how it looks here..  Anyone no of a simple way to do this with asp or java or anything Ill check out

• User profile image
    figuerres

jamie wrote:
    When Im here i type http://server

anywhere else this = www.jgrant.com

Is there any utility or tool on the net that would allow me to see exactly what net users see - not what I see locally?

For example: using http://server/ - my FTP stuff works - but when I go to a friends house - it says "you dont have access"

I was playing with WEFT on above blog. Works here - is there no way I can see what others see without going to a friend / family machine?

if I get this right ....

you can do this:  have a location you can setup a VPN into. then run a terminal server / remote desktop on a pc or server at the far end of the VPN tunnel.

from that remote system surf the web etc...

for it to come back to you it will use the local lan and the internet normally.
    but you are eunning it from your desktop.

I use this sometimes to test TCP/IP related issues.

• User profile image
    jamie

Maurits wrote:
    email me a username and password - I can initiate an FTP connection to www.jgrant.com so it doesn't seem to be a firewall problem.  Maybe it's a security zone thing.

emailed

• User profile image
    Maurits

Alas, I must admit defeat.  Sorry.
    Any other brave souls willing to give this a try?

I finally gave up on IE's built-in FTP client, and recommended linking to a free FTP client.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Ah, figured it out

Passive FTP is supported by MS IIS, but blocked by MS Wireless Base Station

Solution is (I think) to restrict passive port range as described in KB 555022 for, say, 50001-50050
    and then turn on persistent port forwarding in the wireless base station to redirect that port range (both TCP and UDP) to the FTP server

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.