Coffeehouse Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

HAL extensions

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    l33tn00b

Several articles on msdn library(I think pertaining to windows xp embedded/real time) mention that the HAL is the only part of windows whose source is available for modification. is this true? I can't find any information beyond that.

• User profile image
    Jachin

I've search high and low for information about the windows HAL, there doesn't seem to be any. At least none the I can find.

• User profile image
    rhm

I expect it's available to hardware partners that need it only. I'm only aware of one desktop machine that needed a custom HAL - that was a dual Xeon NT box made by SGi which had a wacky unified memory architecture. It wasn't "100% pc compatible" and so required a special install although the benefits of the NT architecture were demonstrated by only needing the HAL to be modified.

I guess Numa architectures like HP's Superdome also get a special HAL to account for the unusual memory design, but I would have thought HP was a big enough partner to get whatever source they wanted from Microsoft.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.