Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

CrashNot == CrashNever ?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Loadsgood

What's going on with CrashNot? Will it ever get off the ground? Nothing is happening on the secret email group we have. What happened to Shaded any way? He hasn't come online since April 2, that's longer than a month ago. Maybe someone else has a server they're willing to donate. I liked the sound of CrashNot, plus we could have a representative of CrashNot at the Team 99 thing, would make for some good articles.

Anyone know anything more than I do about the matter?

Let's not wait. Let's act.
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    jamie

HAHAHAHA

ah LG... you crack me up

• User profile image
    Steve411

CrashNot was a great idea. It was fun and brand spankin new!

• User profile image
    jamie

take us to our leader Wink

im hoping we get together on building a best of breed: Dasblog/webwiz/CommunityServ/uBlog/ + etc

*winnews.com should still be the new watchingmslikeahawk.com
     We could use the blog we build to post to winnews
    ?

edit: haha talk about an up-to-date windows site... all of c9? allowed to post new ms articles they find? Smiley

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

W3bbo did say something about making new Blog software. Maybe we could use that. Maybe we could use something, anything.

Maybe we should abandon CrashNot and go for WinNews (Jamie has to be the leader Smiley)
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    jamie

yes i remember... i sort of tuned out of that thread as my usability conserns - wernt addressed - which is fine
    Im more into to making an easy to edit - meat and potatoes home running family software system

W3bbo's idea is probably more suited to many other members here - just a tad more technical in nature than Im after..

edit: maybe we can call it "Dumb Blog"

* then we could have dumb blog jokes Wink

re-edit - bah - all domains NA

• User profile image
    jamie

btw - if anyone actually wants to move forward - id ask:

what is the best - easiest - free - un-restrained blog/code base we should start with

the main thing at this point would be to say: of all the free blogs - which is really free - and the most extensable (photo gal- cal - uploading - etc)

( i can hear beer laughing now Wink

Once everyone (whoever that is) agrees on a codebase - we can all post freely here on C9 about ideas to improve that base - read the "reviews" on ideas - then maybe set up a vote day for stuff that isnt obviously in need of help

i dunno - at least its better than inaction
    ?

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Well what is happening. Really? Is CrashNot (or whatever we are doing) going to be all Blog? Or is it going to be split into sections or...

EDIT: I would like it, Jamie, if you went from Blog software to Blog software and found the most easy to use one. Doesn't have to be perfectly family style but easy. Although you could just do a best blog software questionaire thread. I hope something happens soon.

I guess it will be a way to tell the difference between the lies and the truth about Microsoft (wasn't that the initial plan?)
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    jamie

community server SQL only [n] seems cool - WAY too hard- no support forum (elitist?)

das-blog - 2nd best EDITOR!  great theming template ideas in first iteration - sort of buggered in new "Das Blog" theme (all css = code = sorry programmers but css is a pain until MS supports it better graphically)

<frontpage rant>
    *speaking of which - those old old screenshots of office FP posted here- that showed the new CSS task-pane in Fp x.  It should have been a tab - Design / code / split / css / preview. Id much prefer the entire interface - becoming "CSS MODE" - than using a flyout.  I still want to draw tables the same way (but they are css layers) I still want to highlight text and say "verdana - 8pt - red  - but under CSS tab it is rendered as a style in code
    </frontpage rant>

Webwiz / uBlog / Nanopress
    All mainly free (not ublog) all troublesome (ublog amazing but USELESS editor)

Basically - i like what i see of the comserv and dasblog - but i gotta love the usability of webwiz RTF editor (best)

Im not one for reading legal releases (unless from MS ;p so it's more what you all feel we could go quick with - yet still ensure template somehow works so its not a script icon - floating on an empty page - off root - with X's as the icons - apart from that.. im easy haha

* oh yeah - it needs to support everyone on c9 uploading articles on a whim - yet with no repeats
    ..but we can add that in after it looks nice Smiley 

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

I guess I will offically apoint you as our new leader.

"All hail oh great God of WinNews, Jamie!" Wink

If you think that CommunityServer and/or DasBlog will be easy and fit our needs then we should go with it.

Jamie, it's your choice.
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    jamie

i like Community Server photo album - but i actually got dasblog to WORK (yes ntfs) (bah sql)

DasBlog has no photogallery - but a great photo upload tool - that works like a gallery - there just isnt one in the aspx pages.

DasBlog also has a great editor - and before last version used a template based theming system - that could be improved apon (believe me)

Personally i use uBlog at jgrant.com - i know it - and i like it. - but its not free
    *id love to have someone else that owns it help switch out the editor for the webwiz one... anyway

to me the idea is not to re-invent the wheel - but to grab the most un-encummbered wheel

i dont no the legal..
    is there any listed above we can do something with?

• User profile image
    jamie

* if we are only talking winnews (and we will still include a crashnot section for shaded - we dont really need to build anything. ( sorry if i confused the easy blog with this project - which could use our own blog - or something else

up to you.. all    y'all  jethro!

* should it be a forum? whats best so all c9ers could post any article they come across - but it wouldnt be repeated

i guess thats the real goal

* THEN we make easy and look nice Wink

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

I'm going to post this in the special email board we have to try and get peoples attention, because I think we may need some help here Jamie from the othe CrashNotters (or WinNewsers). Shall WinNews take over? Is CrashNot the right way to go? Find out when more CrashNot members come online.

My vote is for Jamie's boat. I think we should get some good blogging software, and then expand from there. Use WinNews until further notice. I want something started soon.
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    Cairo

Ya know, I actually deleted that POP account from my mail client, after becoming one of the most active posters (ooo... one post). Shaded seems to have truly slipped into the shadows.

I could set up a mailing list to replace it, if anyone's interested.

• User profile image
    Shaded

I apologize guys I was on vacation for a week (which was announced) then I almost lost a friend of mine to athsma.  It was a scary stressful hospital filled month for me.

So this is my first return to Channel 9 since then.  Steamroller has got me at work, I'm working on buying a home here in Southern California, and things are just too nuts for me to contribute significantly to CrashNot.

I apologize for not contacting you all sooner about this it wasn't an easy decision for me to make.

I wish you all luck, but I don't think you'll need it much since you all have so much talent and Jamie's magic powers with artwork.  Its not exactly normap to wish you some good organizational force - is it?

Regards,

Shaded

• User profile image
    Shaded

Cairo wrote:
    Ya know, I actually deleted that POP account from my mail client, after becoming one of the most active posters (ooo... one post). Shaded seems to have truly slipped into the shadows.

I could set up a mailing list to replace it, if anyone's interested.

While on vacation I realized using MSN groups or Yahoo groups would be ideal for Crashnot until it got off the ground.  They have forums, hold about 10 megs of files and you can even link to free chat services if you want to have bigger confrences.  All for free.

I think they might even RSS their forums to members...

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Shaded

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Loadsgood wrote:
    My vote is for Jamie's boat. I think we should get some good blogging software, and then expand from there. Use WinNews until further notice. I want something started soon.
    Loadsgood.

I think Jamie's idea is really good for now.  And then we could have a section that introduces CrashNot when it gets off ground, sort of like StarSomethingMyPc.COM Smiley

Anyways, I am awfully busy as a student so its really hard for me to work on this project during the school year. I have one month left of school and then I'm off, for which then I will truly conceptialize some neat stuff. Tongue Out

Not to mention my parents are not the least bit okay with me disclosing details about myself...Sad

So, yeah...I think Jamie's thing should pull off first.  Then we'll think about CrashNot. 

mVPstar

• User profile image
    jamie

let me make a new WinNews logo - that matches the C9 colours and styles and a basic look

Still not sure on what blog/forum to use - so ill leave that for now (feel free to make suggestions)

WinNews.com runs from Hostopia - I know there is asp - not sure about .Net (dasblog/community server)
    So if we find something thats just asp code - its already hosted (ill email login etc)

if .net - i can try hosting here - but i doubt my bandwidth/speed would be enough

will try to have something up by this weekend

*Shaded - too bad about your friend Sad

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.