Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Paul Thurrott's oppinion of team99

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    jamie

he and steven bink were nominated multiple multiple times - i even nominated him..

doesnt he read C9?  Some windows supporter Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Dunno why you can't be a blogger AND a windows enthusiast AND be picked. None of these things are exlusive. I'm betting the goal of this is to get the most value, and if the most value is in getting windows enthusiasts who also blog, then so be it.

How is that worse than simply picking from the "Windows enthusiast" community?

• User profile image
    scobleizer

>comparatively low-profile group of bloggers

Heh!!!

Has he been paying attention to what's been going on in the world lately? I gotta send him last week's BusinessWeek. Blogging is on the cover of that (Channel 9 was mentioned in it as a video blog, by the way).

Robert

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Question: Why is Microsoft relying on the feedback from 20 hand-picked individuals.

Wouldn't it be better to use random focus groups instead?

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Microsoft is already relying heavily on blog, community site and forum feedback. But that's really limited to people's understanding, motivation and time.

An onsite focus group would be more valuable. I'm a huge believer in blogs (and dedicate nearly 1000 words in my book to why blogs are better than focus groups), but there's really nothing better than real face-to-face time to communicate key things within a small group of people.

• User profile image
    Cairo

W3bbo wrote:
    Question: Why is Microsoft relying on the feedback from 20 hand-picked individuals.

Wouldn't it be better to use random focus groups instead?

Maybe relying is the wrong word?

• User profile image
    harumscarum

It will keep bloggers feeling like they are important. I agree with Pauls article. I also think that this is just a publicity thing.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

harumscarum wrote:
    It will keep bloggers feeling like they are important. I agree with Pauls article. I also think that this is just a publicity thing.

Bloggers are only as important as their audience. If everyone stopped reading blogs, the vast majority of bloggers would disappear. I know that I'd still blog, because it makes my ideas searchable, but I'm an anomaly in blogging.

• User profile image
    Cider

For once, I actually agree with Thurrott.

This whole thing is a publicity stunt, and a badly flawed one at that.  If there was even any seriousness to this idea, the 20 people should represent - as closely as possible - the entire spectrum of users.  That's ridiculously difficult in 20 people, but they should be developers, sys admins, ISVs, support, end users of every level from newbie to power user, from the most artistic to the most techie  etc etc etc.

From Scoble's posts on this, I see nothing of the sort.

• User profile image
    Steve411

they're lucky enough that they get to participate, no matter of it being via-being-a-blogger or a windows enthusiast. stop complaining and take the opportunity you have been given.

• User profile image
    Tommy4

I do like the idea of this group but as you have seen in my other post, I agree with what Paul is saying. 

• User profile image
    eagle

Why doesn't Paul post on Channel9 himself?

I'm writing this post from a Pressroom, just saw an IT Mag with a front page story on something I blogged a week ago.

There are hundreds of Microsoft forums, when I have a Tech question I get an answer in less then a day's time.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

W3bbo: if you think Team 99 is the only way the Longhorn team is getting feedback, I've got a nice bridge in San Francisco to sell you.

Team 99 won't be the only group, either.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

>Question: Why is Microsoft relying on the feedback from 20 hand-picked individuals.
    >Wouldn't it be better to use random focus groups instead?

The Longhorn team uses focus groups, and user testing, and all that, plus they have lots of customer visits, and much much more.

Team 99 is just the way we can get blogger feedback into the product.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Team99 is yet another exersize in corporate transparency by Microsoft. No, the members will not be able to talk about everything immediately; despite this, the point of the team is to provide valuable information to people. Microsoft hopes (prayes, belike) that the coverage will be beneficial; however, that is not necessarily so.

Bloggers are, to some extent, similar to journalists: they love information, love creating it, and are good at it. However, bloggers are currently trusted more (not hard to see why). Additionally, picking media people is less "grassroots", less Channel9-esque, and most of all - less transparent.

Some people seem to think that Team99 will be the only group Microsoft shows Longhorn to, the only group able to get feedback. Hardly. Microsoft will, naturally, use focus groups; people who barely know what a computer is, people who know quite well what a computer is, developers, etc. SOme of that will even be useful, though not as much as people usually hope.. (focus groups generally don't work very well. But they're better than nothing).

Team99 performs a specific function. Part of that is feedback; simply by virtue of being a bloggers, you're opinionated, prolific, and communicative - all very useful elements in getting feedback. However, another aspect is getting "coverage". Robert mentioned that these people will become the "world's authority on Longhorn". That means, effectively, that these people will be outside the company who have a very close relationship with people inside the company. They will have their questions answered by direct Microsoft developers, they will know a huge amount, and they will have had some effect on the process.

In perspective, Team99 is an extrmely minor aspect of Microsoft's strategy. It is significant, true, because it represents a blod, daring move in marketing and transparency - similar to Channel9. No other company is doing this. However, it is merely an extension of the same doctrine Channel9 was founded upon; it's a logical extension of the same policy that Robert and Charles uphold every day. I'd wager it's a minor coup for Robert and his supporters to get this; it's a pity people are overreacting, because that might be used as ammunition against them in the future.

Still, to all extents and purposes - Team99 is a way to be more transparent. To make it easier for people to get answers. To help people. To develop communities. To make Microsoft a better company. It's not the be-all, end-all, or even anything close. It's minor. A baby step. But it's a baby step in the right direction.

• User profile image
    Stuart Celarier

W3bbo wrote:

In fact, they are relying on the feedback of each and every person who provides it.

Visit the MSDN Product Feedback Center (aka Ladybug), under Product/Technology select Avalon or Indigo [screenshot]. Following the WinFX March 2005 CTP, Ladybug became the place for reporting defects and making feature requests in these technologies. I expect Ladybug's role in Longhorn to expand as previews are released.

Also visit the MSDN Longhorn newsgroups to get assistance and discuss the technologies. And the product teams get feedback from Channel 9, the blogsphere, and external websites.

There are also a variety of other focused efforts, such as Strategic Design Reviews (SDRs), TAP and Ascend programs, customer visits, engaging user groups, Indigo Day at VSLive SF, and so on.

It seems clear that Microsoft is looking for a different kind of feedback from Team 99. That is why they're forming the group.

But that doesn't mean they don't value your feedback. In whatever venue or form it comes. Participate.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.