Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

WinUpdate v6 and Pirates

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Loadsgood

You would have thought Microsoft was an enemy to pirates, not a friend. Especially with something as big as Windows Update. Well think again pirates, thought that Microsoft stops you with their "Genuine Windows Experience"? Well think not.

http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en&success=true

Microsoft is stupid enough to use "success=true" as a way to determine whether or not you have a genuine Windows OS. But I use this URL to access WinUpdate 6 not because I'm a pirate, but so I don't have to turn my laptop(s) upside down just to write a GUID down and most likely get it wrong and have to do it again.

Maybe Microsoft should actually check whether I'm a pirate or not before I'm allowed the ActiveX control.

On second thought don't have ActiveX in IE at all. Has Scoble would say "Heh".
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I think illegally distributed copies of windows should be entitled to download the critical and security updates to reduce the number of "botnets" we're seeing.

But it should show a warning or something: "We have detected you are running an un/underlicensed Windows installation, you can only download critical and security updates... not for your sake, but because we don't want to be affected by any malware running on your box"

Perhaps these critical updates "for unlicensed installations" should incurr a slight performance hit as a little "incentive"?

• User profile image
    andokai

Who said that was how they validated the OS. The only way you can confirm that is by trying it on a pirated copy.

• User profile image
    androidi

I hardly see much reason to go to WU in the first place as the automatic updates and the driver updates internet search checkbox helps getting the important updates in less effort. Many of the updates offered on WU also ask you to update when they get old so you don't have to go there to get latest WMP for example.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

While pirates will be blocked from using the v6 Windows Update and Microsoft Update sites, they will be allowed to use Automatic Updates and thus they can still get the critical updates for Windows.

• User profile image
    Manip

Thanks for the free beta link, works great. Smiley

PS - I'm running legal OEM XP.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Manip wrote:
    Thanks for the free beta link, works great.

PS - I'm running legal OEM XP.

It's not really beta. update.microsoft.com is already used for Windows Server 2003

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.