Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

If you could be in charge of any MSFT department, what would you do there?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Myself... if I were in charge of the IE team (surprise, suprise) I'd license the Gecko or Presto engines (more likely Presto) in place of Trident and get IE's feature set to match my Firefox loadout, the ship it.

So much easier than patching an engine, as well as ensuring backwards compatibilit, future-proofing, and best of all... standards compliance.

Okay.. the Javascript bit might need a bit of tweaking to support the IE-DOM, but that's all that should be required really.

Oh, and I'd remove the statusbar from the DOM as well.

But this is sounding more "what I'd do to the product", as for the department itself: I'd require all employees to attend W3C Conferences and a few of Eric Meyer's seminars on web-standards and CSS. I'd also see about taking control over Microsoft's own web-dev team and make them attend said seminars.

I'd also hire more people from outside the organisation (especilly Ian "Hixie" Hickson), and get Microsoft to do a blitz on MSDN to hype about why DotNet Applets are better than ActiveX controls. I'm actually surprised Microsoft hasn't really advertised DotNet Applets much. On the plus side, since DotNet is cross-platform, Gecko and Presto could add support.

So if you were in charge of any department... what changes would you make there?

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

1. There are probably people on the IE team that know the specs much better than you. There are (or were) people on the IE team who were on the spec committees and helped write the spec. The fact that you disagree with a choice of implementation does not necessarily mean the people implementing are witless dolts running blindly into a wall because no-one showed them the light of specs. I can assure you they're as aware as you are of the specs, probably have a deeper understanding of what they mean, and even (gasp!) know what implementing them entails in terms of development hours, performance and general code quality.

2. This, in fact, is a good attitude to avoid in general. Just because you dislike Luna/Bliss doesn't mean anyone who uses it does so purely because he is unaware of alternatives.

3. I'm taking into account the fact that you are not a professional developer, as you mentioned in a recent thread, as reason why you cannot see that coming in as a manager, throwing all the current team's work in the trash, sending them off to training and then hiring in from outside is a surefire way to have NO team at the end of the day.

Sorry to sound harsh, but this is one "Everyone at MS is stupid because they don't think like me" thread too many this week.

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

Yggdrasil wrote:

1. There are probably people on the IE team that know the specs much better than you. There are (or were) people on the IE team who were on the spec committees and helped write the spec. The fact that you disagree with a choice of implementation does not necessarily mean the people implementing are witless dolts running blindly into a wall because no-one showed them the light of specs. I can assure you they're as aware as you are of the specs, probably have a deeper understanding of what they mean, and even (gasp!) know what implementing them entails in terms of development hours, performance and general code quality.

2. This, in fact, is a good attitude to avoid in general. Just because you dislike Luna/Bliss doesn't mean anyone who uses it does so purely because he is unaware of alternatives.

3. I'm taking into account the fact that you are not a professional developer, as you mentioned in a recent thread, as reason why you cannot see that coming in as a manager, throwing all the current team's work in the trash, sending them off to training and then hiring in from outside is a surefire way to have NO team at the end of the day.

Sorry to sound harsh, but this is one "Everyone at MS is stupid because they don't think like me" thread too many this week.

Seconed! I don't think any of us has the insight to decide what needs to be changed in any department at MS. Consulting companies do not work in vain for months, before making any corporate structure related decisions.

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

I think I'd like to be in charge of Healthcare Initatives. A lot of potential out there, not being utilized to its fullest extent.

• User profile image
    AndyC

If it's any department then it'd obviously be Channel9. I'd buy the guys a few beers and make Charles take a weekend off.

Then quit before I had chance to cause any real harm. Smiley

• User profile image
    Tekmaven

W3bbo wrote:
    So if you were in charge of any department... what changes would you make there?

I'd make sure my department always had someone to bring them their free drinks.

From my own observations durring my short two day visit to Redmond last year, the people at Microsoft are pretty hard working and committed.  They've made some great products, and are constantly working to improve them (as we are seeing with IE7).

So, for once, let's stop second guessing Microsoft.  Believe me, when it comes down to it, they always want to do the right thing. 

What kinda huge company would think about setting up something like C9?  It's these type of things which Microsoft is doing that I think we're forgetting about.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

If I was incharge of the IE team, I'd have them throw out the existing code, write a new browser to the harshest possible specifications (e.g. efficent architecture, 100% standards support (a.k.a. all finalized specifications at the W3C website), instant operation, 99.99994% bug-free code (TSP) and so on and so forth) and then have them take back anything good that was thrown out (e.g. quirks mode, GUI design).

I'd also raise their salaries so they don't leave for Google because of me.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Sounds like someone's (OP) looking for a job Wink

I wouldn't want to lead any department straight into the company. There'd be too much to learn first. History is very important to people at Microsoft, so learning that "throw everything out and start again" is an impulse I'd need to control would be important.

Sorry, but as smart as I think I am, I don't feel ready to be in charge of an entire product for the world's largest software company. Contribute, PM, evangelize... Sure. Be totally responsible for? I don't think so. There's too much that can go wrong being the new guy, and I'm too young to die Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.