Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Gates vs. Google

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    androidi
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

After reading that, Microsoft will have to stop people from thinking Google is the place to go. Probably by releasing really cool stuff one after another like Google has been.

• User profile image
    Cairo

Man -- for Bill, it's not enough to win. He has to make sure someone else loses. He can't stand not being the center of the computing universe. So sad.

• User profile image
    jamie

..and releasing that stuff FREE?

The MS business model is flawed - the battling biz units for revenue is flawed

Unfortunately Google (and Linux) has turned the Letter to Hobbiests on its head

Packaged software?  Pay for software?  I cant modify the software?  The software is written with new complicated code - rather than extending code thats been around for years everyone knows? I have to activate?  I have to agree?

ALOT has to change at MS

PS - all softies make sure you read the 6 page article

• User profile image
    Shaded

androidi wrote:

Talk about paranoid.  The author of this column is feeding on the same ol premise, Gates is no longer the underdog and must be taken down.

Of course Gates is going to direct his staff to watch his competition.  Wouldn't Microsoft stock holders be upset if he directed them to instead watch the next NBA game?

Then the author goes on what a 8 or 11 page rant mentioning the likes of Jobes and Ballmer.  So he's done his homework, he still has absolutely zero insight into the industry.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Cairo wrote:
    it's not enough to win. He has to make sure someone else loses.

A wise man once said -- I think it was Attila the Hun -- (etc.) Smiley

• User profile image
    Shaded

jamie wrote:

PS - all softies make sure you read the 6 page article

Page 6 seems like your standard drivel. (i.e. Microsoft is surprised that Google is passing them in some kind of software deployment and Google is stronger than anyone else they've come up against.)

Utter spew.  It was just a few years ago that they were saying the same thing about Yahoo vs Google.  The places were reversed, Yahoo had the brand recognition.

Users will flip search engines and software as quickly as they flip web pages.

The part that gets me about all these open-source vs Microsoft debates is, they are really two debates.  One has to do with IP, and whether Microsoft should be able to patent the double-click so Linux can't use it, and the other has to do with software value.

To the end user, all that matters is software value.  You can debate IP rights until you're blue in the face, just as composers debate the double forte in Beethoven's work.  Your average end user does not care.

To me I'm not trying to exert my influence on the future of IP rights.  I just enjoy using the best software available.

Its been about 10 years since I've read it but from memory, Bill Gates said in "The Road Ahead", that Linux would eventually over take Windows.  (Yes, some of us were running Linux 10 years ago, and some of us believe it still sucks.)

He also said it would only take a couple years of complacency at Microsoft for them to no longer be number one.  He also said these facts alone can either inspire Microsoft to continue to create the greatest software out there, or they can stagnate like IBM and hope their past assures their future. 

Didn't work well for IBM.  Microsoft knows it won't work for them either.

Selling to Lenovo in my opinion was a bad move for IBM.  In the past they've been trusted for being "big blue" - now they will be seen as a remnant of fallen failed beast.  Specialized small businesses will be able to compete with their diverse "Global Services" more effectively after their old school customers realize that brand loyalty gets you nothing but high maintenance costs.

That's why Microsoft understands it's market better than most people give them credit for.  Microsoft never takes it's customers loyalty for granted, because they were the first to decide to bring affordable sophisticated computing to the masses.  IBM didn't want to deal with the average medium or small business, user, especially not home users, that's why they gave Microsoft the opportunity to write DOS in the first place.  It was so unimportant they decided to get someone else to do it.

IBM realized their mistake years too late.  Microsoft beat big blue and OS2 by relying on consumers ability to switch to something that worked better.

Microsoft knows consumers appreciate a name only so long - to survive long term software has to have value beyond anything else out there - not just a single feature, but big picture value.

This author pretends Google's presence is a threat to Microsoft's big picture value...  Sure that may be true, but Gates said 10 years ago in his book - everyone is a threat.

.... so this is news?

• User profile image
    jamie

i think its news

The dreaded car analogy:

The microsoft car:
    - expensive
    - Nice brand
    - must go to dealership to buy
    - must "ask for an assistant to see the actual car
    (not a display photo)
    - Must activate the car
    - car built of new managed complicated parts ($ to repair)
    - Car designed to ensure future sales of MS cars and accesories
    - Car comes with ads

The Google Car:
    - Free
    - Great brand
    - Avail online
    - No activation
    - Car designed to be simple work with anything anywhere
    - car built with tried and tested easy available parts
    - Car comes with ads

• User profile image
    Shaded

jamie wrote:

i think its news

The dreaded car analogy:

The microsoft car:
    - expensive

The Google Car:
    - Free
    - Avail online

Microsoft expensive?  Online free?  I bet you pay more to your ISP than you do to Microsoft.

Google would not even BE online if it weren't for Microsoft.  Without Microsoft, IBM still wouldn't be interested in consumers, and Apple would still only be interested inselling thier boxes to rich Hollywood executives and scientists.

Well I take that back, we all would be calling local BBS systems trying to figure out why Hayes AT compatible modems are so hard to configure - if you can call that being online.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

jamie wrote:
    ..and releasing that stuff FREE?

Nah, they just need to release it. What it costs doesn't matter. What matters is that it will draw attention away from Google and to Microsoft.

• User profile image
    jamie

that photo thing did look cool

too bad someone else has to make it popular - and therefore "safe" to add to Windows.

Wouldnt want to take any risks on Windows..
    All hail Windows

"Microsoft today released Micasso - the new free photo suite..."

• User profile image
    KarelDonk

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.