Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

MSN Desktop Search release date?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Badgerguy

Just wondering if anyone at Microsoft has any news on when the MSN Desktop search will move beyond it's current beta status.

Past information forecast a Q1 launch, then an April launch - we're now in May, and the MSN Search blog doesn't offer much new information on this.

Anyone know anything?

• User profile image
    kriskdf

I'm running the latest internal build and I will say that the new features (that we can't talk about yet) are going to be worth the extra wait.

• User profile image
    desdemona

BTW Check this out ...
    http://www.filerules.com

Regards !!!

• User profile image
    El Bruno

www.filerules.com
    FileRules Rules !!!

• User profile image
    z3ek

Badgerguy wrote:

Just wondering if anyone at Microsoft has any news on when the MSN Desktop search will move beyond it's current beta status.

Past information forecast a Q1 launch, then an April launch - we're now in May, and the MSN Search blog doesn't offer much new information on this.

Anyone know anything?

Sorry but the MSN Desktop search is pants, the google one is much better check it out... http://desktop.google.com/

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

z3ek wrote:
    Sorry but the MSN Desktop search is pants, the google one is much better check it out... http://desktop.google.com/

How do you know? have you got access to any final version, we can't get? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

z3ek wrote:

Can you elaborate why the Google one is better, outside of sheer preference? I'd like to know what one does instead of the other.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

MisterDonut wrote:
    z3ek wrote:

Can you elaborate why the Google one is better, outside of sheer preference? I'd like to know what one does instead of the other.

I've used both, and my experience is that MSN DS is better.

Of course, MSN DS doesn't (currently) have a plug-in mechanism. Google does, and that's a major advantage. Still, I'd willing to stick with MSN DS because of the Deskbar, the Advanced Search Syntax, and IFilters. Besides, it certainly searches enough files by default.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

I wasn't invited to SearchChamps (harumph Wink), but all my friends who are seeing the builds are falling in love with the release version of MSN Desktop Search - and many of these folk are VERY hard to please.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Michael Griffiths wrote:
    Of course, MSN DS doesn't (currently) have a plug-in mechanism.

Yes, it does Smiley

• User profile image
    HellSnoopy

z3ek wrote:

Yeah , google search is so good that it won't even install on my computer because I'm using the best AV available (nod32) Smiley

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

PaoloM wrote:
    Michael Griffiths wrote: Of course, MSN DS doesn't (currently) have a plug-in mechanism.

Yes, it does

heh, IFilters are hardly a plug-in mechanism. It's good extensability, but you can't grab MSN DS results from, say, another program. You can't do nifty things with it.

To see what I mean, check out the Google site:

http://desktop.google.com/plugins.html

I mean, Google can now do IFilters due to some nice coder:

With IFilterShop Google Desktop Search plugin, users of Google Desktop Search can take advantage of existing IFilter components for indexing of wide selection of file formats. IFilterShop Google Desktop Search plugin allows Google Desktop Search to use IFilter components installed on user's machine. IFilters are COM components that are used by Windows Indexing Service to index files of different types. Many IFilters are already available from Microsoft, IFilterShop and other vendors.

Now, that is cool.

• User profile image
    HIsPoCratiC

z3ek wrote:
    Badgerguy wrote:

Anyone know anything?

Well, I have both installed on my PC. Where Windows Search Desk Give me a total of 14.230 items, Google, Search Desk. give me a total of 58.483

At this time Google App is better. Is not only the big index and supoorted file types, is translated to a lot of lenguages to.

Well, ok, WIndows Search Desktop have a better interface, I love this nice and clean interface,. but, a Search Desktop is supposet to "Search" for all files you have on your Computer. Is "anoying"  that a "deskTop" search software, only search for "OutLook" emails, so what happens to this users that have Thunderbird ? On a Windows System ? Must we have all soft by Microsoft ??

Well, this things and others make's (today) better Google Soft.

• User profile image
    pikatung

HIsPoCratiC wrote:
    z3ek wrote:
    Badgerguy wrote:

Anyone know anything?

Well, I have both installed on my PC. Where Windows Search Desk Give me a total of 14.230 items, Google, Search Desk. give me a total of 58.483

At this time Google App is better. Is not only the big index and supoorted file types, is translated to a lot of lenguages to.

Well, ok, WIndows Search Desktop have a better interface, I love this nice and clean interface,. but, a Search Desktop is supposet to "Search" for all files you have on your Computer. Is "anoying"  that a "deskTop" search software, only search for "OutLook" emails, so what happens to this users that have Thunderbird ? On a Windows System ? Must we have all soft by Microsoft ??

Well, this things and others make's (today) better Google Soft.

Um, you do know that MSN DS only indexes My Documents and Email by default. And Microsoft isn't preventing anyone from writing a Thunderbird iFilter. (Though I am curious why one hasn't been written.)

Also, Microsoft also stepped out on a limb and allows you to choose what web service to do web searches with. So if you want to use google, go right ahead.

• User profile image
    Maurits

pikatung wrote:
    And Microsoft isn't preventing anyone from writing a Thunderbird iFilter. (Though I am curious why one hasn't been written.)

There's no Thunderbird iFilter because:
    1. Thunderbird files have no extension
    2. "the way they call IFilter interface seems to skip GetClassFile()"

• User profile image
    HIsPoCratiC

Maurits wrote:
    pikatung wrote:And Microsoft isn't preventing anyone from writing a Thunderbird iFilter. (Though I am curious why one hasn't been written.)

There's no Thunderbird iFilter because:
    1. Thunderbird files have no extension
    2. "the way they call IFilter interface seems to skip GetClassFile()"

No extension ? So,. Why google search desktop get my messages from it ? Anyway, Today is the official release date ? I read this on the net.. Waitting for localiced versions, if they are planning to make it ...

• User profile image
    pikatung

Maurits wrote:
    Thunderbird files have no extensions

Wow, I didn't know that. But can someone explain what's the reason for no extension?

• User profile image
    Bloggit

pikatung wrote:

Um, you do know that MSN DS only indexes My Documents and Email by default. And Microsoft isn't preventing anyone from writing a Thunderbird iFilter. (Though I am curious why one hasn't been written.)

Thunderbird files lack an extension because the app is Unix in nature/origin and uses Magic Cookies (first few bytes of the file) to identify files, not extensions.  DOS files do this too; executables start with MZ, JPEGs, MP3, Zip files all have a starting code.  But while Windows has a way to handle those, Explorer ignores them.  Kinda dumb on Microsoft's part.

Anyhow, an IFilter wouldn't work for Thunderbird anyhow.  I determined when writing an IFilter for Palm Desktop that IFilters are the wrong tool for database type repositories; you need a Protocol Handler.  The IFilter philosophy is basically that a file has one set of metadata - ignoring that the interface supports chunking of it.  Protocol Handlers implement ways to break a single file or even non-physical storage into multiple virtual files or logical units.  Fortuntely, Citeknet recently released a protocol handler for Thunderbird which does index Thunderbird mails.

In the Desktop Search portion of my blog, you will see comparisons, links to my Palm IFilter and even the source code for it (done in C#.)  More than you ever wanted to know about Desktop Search Engines, file extractors, ifilters, programming, etc. 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.