Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

CD Protection - Bah, this stinks

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Tyler Brown

    While at the concert last night, I purchased one of the bands CD's from the merch table. The CD, by Acceptance entitled Phantoms, uses some form of copy protection. Now I've done my research, and Section 80 of the Canadian Copyright Act permits me to make a copy of the music for my own personal use, which I intend to place on my IPod to listen to while I go for my daily jogs, and listening to and from wherever I go.

    The problem? The CD Protection! I've searched far and wide for a CD Ripper that can chew through that rotten technology and nothing! All I can get is crappy wma (no offence Microsoft, but I don't personally care for that format, and it's proprietary too). I want a copy in MP3 format for my IPod, and I want it as soon as I can possibly get it. Anyone have any ideas?

  • User profile image
    geekling

    I think that the copy protection software for CDs like that are usually enabled by the auto-run functionality of the CD. I'm sure there's a way to turn it off; or just try holding shift when you insert the CD.

    At its worse, I think if you boot in safe-mode to the console you can just copy the audio files from the CD to your drive, then boot into window and do the audio conversion from there.

    Also, saying that WMA is crappy because its proprietary than turning around and wanting MP3 is kinda, ... I don't know.

    Go OGG!

  • User profile image
    Tyler Brown

    I've heard good things about OGG, but the IPod doesn't support it. People have been asking for a firmware upgrade to add support for it, but I don't think that kind of thing can be done through firmware.

  • User profile image
    DoomBringer

    geekling wrote:

    Also, saying that WMA is crappy because its proprietary than turning around and wanting MP3 is kinda, ... I don't know.

    It is even funnier to hear that he's anti WMA because it is proprietary, but he wants to put it on his iPod, which isn't propietary at ALL.
    Oh, I don't think the DMCA even allows US citizens to say how to do a work around... which is dumb, really.

  • User profile image
    Tyler Brown

    The IPod play's MP3's, which as far as I know, is an open format, although it is currently patented in some countries by Fraunhoffer (spelling?). All I'm saying is that when you buy a digital music player, chances are that is plays MP3's, and perhaps some other formats. I'm just looking to make my copies in MP3 format, because that is the format that my digital music player supports.

  • User profile image
    DoomBringer

    Tyler Brown wrote:
    I've heard good things about OGG, but the IPod doesn't support it. People have been asking for a firmware upgrade to add support for it, but I don't think that kind of thing can be done through firmware.

    I'm not familiar with the exact setup of the iPod, but I'll wager that it could be done pretty easily with a firmware update.  Will Apple do it?  no.

  • User profile image
    Tyler Brown

    I thought that the audio processing was performed by an onboard chip. I haven't done any research on the inner workings of the IPod, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

  • User profile image
    Tyler Brown

    Thanks Beer, but I don't have FC3 installed yet. I'm thinking about doing it in a week or two. Just finished my refresher training today, so I need to settle back into work first. I was able to get the tracks ripped to MP3 however. I had originally planned on ripping to WMA, burning to CD, and then re-ripping to MP3, but I was worried about quality, and I got a blue screen when attempting it (IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - I've got some bad drivers).

    I tried it out on my brothers computer, and autorun caused MusicMatch JukeBox to fire up asking if I wanted to rip the CD. Thankfully it supports VBR MP3's, so it's chewing away at the data now!

  • User profile image
    pikatung

    I quite confused over your problem. You mention not being able to rip it, then say something about WMA.

    However, the thing that confuses me the most is how Musicmatch is able to rip it while others couldn't.

  • User profile image
    Jorgie

    If you have a program that is working that does wma, why dont you rip it as WMA lossless and then convert it with any number of programs?

    Jorgie

  • User profile image
    Manip

    Tyler Brown wrote:
    Thanks Beer, but I don't have FC3 installed yet. I'm thinking about doing it in a week or two. Just finished my refresher training today, so I need to settle back into work first. I was able to get the tracks ripped to MP3 however. I had originally planned on ripping to WMA, burning to CD, and then re-ripping to MP3, but I was worried about quality, and I got a blue screen when attempting it (IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - I've got some bad drivers).

    I tried it out on my brothers computer, and autorun caused MusicMatch JukeBox to fire up asking if I wanted to rip the CD. Thankfully it supports VBR MP3's, so it's chewing away at the data now!


    That COULD be a faulty driver the copy-protection has installed.

    I agree with the above you have told us NOTHING about
    how the copy protection works at all and expect help?

  • User profile image
    Jaz
  • User profile image
    ZippyV

    Tyler Brown wrote:
    The IPod play's MP3's, which as far as I know, is an open format, although it is currently patented in some countries by Fraunhoffer (spelling?).

    MP3 is NOT an open format and you have to pay for it to use it in an application.

  • User profile image
    Tom Servo

    Try EAC, it rips pretty much everything.

    http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

  • User profile image
    Blkbam

    Iteresting path this post has taken.  From attempting to copy a CD to bashing MS for creating a file format to boasting about how great Linix is to recommending ways to rip a CD.

    I guess none of this would have happened if the music was GPL & OSM  (Open Score Music) and they send along the music score so you can rewrite the music incase you want to improve it.  The GPL will insure that you pass along the original score when you make your changes so that the original artist if protected.

    Seriously though the copy-protection software is  installed as a device driver so you can only remove it in safe mode.  It can be beaten just by not installing it which means that you don't agree to the terms which means that you can't copy the music legally. 

    I've read your Copyright act and it does not say that you can copy in any specific format or by any specific means that you wish, it just "says you can make a copy" and the artist/record company has given you a means to make this copy.

  • User profile image
    jsrfc58

    Tyler Brown wrote:
    The problem? The CD Protection! I've searched far and wide for a CD Ripper that can chew through that rotten technology and nothing! All I can get is crappy wma (no offence Microsoft, but I don't personally care for that format, and it's proprietary too). I want a copy in MP3 format for my IPod, and I want it as soon as I can possibly get it. Anyone have any ideas?


    "For personal use"...tricky concept...because if you can make a copy for yourself, someone else can do the same, and then make copies for their friends, etc.  Not that you are doing this, or have any intent to, but there are more people willing to make pirated copies than making a copy for "personal use".

    Not to make light of the situation, but a few years back I thought I read somewhere that people were using certain colored magic markers (green?) to draw a ring around the outer bands of the CD, and it defeated the copy protection system.  That's pretty desperate.

  • User profile image
    PerfectPhase

    Try this

    http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

    Last item on the feature list 'New Feature AnyCDDA: play, copy and rip protected Audio CDs'

    Stephen.

  • User profile image
    Tyler Brown

    The CD comes with a software player that is intalled when the CD is first inserted, and you must either agree, or not agree to the EULA. Taking a look at the CD, there are 4 folders, and one folder contains 12 files (there are 12 tracks on this CD) which are of comparable size to MP3 versions of the tracks. They will however not play within Winamp. The software chews up a fair amount of my Athlon XP 3200+'s cylces (15% on average), so I'm assuming that some kind of decryption or something is going on.

    Exact Audio Copy was unable to rip the CD, it only produced silent tracks. CDDA Extrator was partially successul, as the final product had hissing in the background. I would have gone forth with the WMA ripping, burning to CD, and then ripping into MP3 format, however whenever I attempt to rip to WMA with Media Player, I get a BSOD (IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL). I'm assuming that MusicMatch can rip the CD, as they have a partnership with Sony, whom I believe is the mastermind behind this copy protection.

    Beer: It was all digital extraction, except for the last track, it defaulted to analog and really slowed down. After 20 minutes I cancelled ripping the last track.

    I'm happy with what I've got now, so I don't need to pursue this any further I don't think. Atleast, not right now. Thanks for everyones input.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.