Coffeehouse Thread

33 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Labour won....

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Hmm, well I was expecting it really. Although I am surprised the LibDems didn't get rise as much as I thought they would, and imo... I'm glad the Conservatives didn't get in, what with being a student and all (Do the math, their education manefesto doesn't work)

    Comments/opinions?

  • User profile image
    z3ek

    I was going to vote Labour, althought I fell alseep when I got home from work and forgot all about it. I back that the Conservatives din't get in.

  • User profile image
    bsilby

    W3bbo wrote:
    Hmm, well I was expecting it really. Although I am surprised the LibDems didn't get rise as much as I thought they would, and imo... I'm glad the Conservatives didn't get in, what with being a student and all (Do the math, their education manefesto doesn't work)

    Comments/opinions?


    It's a same the lib dems didn't go far. But at least labor got in. I disagree with a lot of what they do, but they seem to have a good stance on environmental issues--even if they didn't make it an election issue. Much better than conservatives.

  • User profile image
    sbc

    bsilby wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:Hmm, well I was expecting it really. Although I am surprised the LibDems didn't get rise as much as I thought they would, and imo... I'm glad the Conservatives didn't get in, what with being a student and all (Do the math, their education manefesto doesn't work)

    Comments/opinions?


    It's a same the lib dems didn't go far. But at least labor got in. I disagree with a lot of what they do, but they seem to have a good stance on environmental issues--even if they didn't make it an election issue. Much better than conservatives.

    How about the Green Party? You can imagine people voting for them when we start to need breath masks and global warning is a big issue. At the moment people do not really care about the environment (I'm sure we could all be driving fuel cell / hydrogen powered cars now, if money was not most peoples prime motivation).

  • User profile image
    Manip

    I think the Green's ideas are too extreme for a lot
    of people and that is all that's on their agenda.
    Doesn't make for a good all-round party.

  • User profile image
    Tensor

    No - thats the main thing on there agenda, but far from the only thing. There policies tend to be based around sustainablility, but that can be applied in many ways to most parts of life.  See there manifesto.

    I'm not suprised by the result. I think the fact that the tories can get the same share of the vote as 4 years ago and yet gain 60 seats just shows what a crap system we have. Bring on electoral reform!

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Manip wrote:
    I think the Green's ideas are too extreme for a lot
    of people and that is all that's on their agenda.
    Doesn't make for a good all-round party.


    They do, however, make for good MPs in consituencies where the environment accounts for stuff like tourism. Consider Brighton, they're Greeen.

    I wonder if the Peak/Lake District is Green too....

    But no... my constituency is staunchly conservative, Tatton... where Martin Bell ran in 1997. Currently the home of the conservative treasurer. Aparently we were te last constituency to introduce "wheelie-bins" (we only got them 4 weeks ago) the rest of the country has had them since '99

  • User profile image
    Tensor

    W3bbo wrote:

    They do, however, make for good MPs in consituencies where the environment accounts for stuff like tourism. Consider Brighton, they're Greeen.


    Errr no, there are zero Green MPs. There are some Green councillers and Euro MPs, but they have never had an MP.

    Also, while Brighton is the place most likely to go Green, it has nothing at all to do with Tourism. They would be anti tourism. The large Green vote in Brighton is entirely due to the demogrpahc. It used to be somthing like 80% Tory but over the last 20-30 years a lot of people have moved there from London, while the traditional tory voters have suffered from natural wastage (ie they died).

  • User profile image
    footballism

    irrelevant alert,where is scoble?

  • User profile image
    Arran

    footballism wrote:
    irrelevant alert,where is scoble?


    Yeah right.  Because polotics has never affected the IT industry.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    footballism wrote:
    irrelevant alert,where is scoble?


    huh?

  • User profile image
    Manip

    Arran wrote:
    footballism wrote: irrelevant alert,where is scoble?


    Yeah right.  Because polotics has never affected the IT industry.


    Like we didn't discuss the American elections at that time of year... 8-)

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Granted, none of the "big 3" here mentioned spam in their manefestos... but in the states some of the officials mention it.

  • User profile image
    sbc

    W3bbo wrote:
    Granted, none of the "big 3" here mentioned spam in their manefestos... but in the states some of the officials mention it.

    Maybe we have less of an issue? In the US it is opt-out - so they can send you email until you tell them not to. Here it is opt-in. Much better to opt-in.

  • User profile image
    Tensor

    Yay data protection!

    Actually the worst thing spam wise for me is phone spam. The amount of calls I get from extra-national call centres trying to sell me a mobile phone is ridiculous. My tactic for dealing with them is this

    salesperson "Hello, is Mr X there"

    me "Oh, I'll just go get him for you".

    Pu phone down without hanging up. Walk away.

    That way, it costs them time and money, with no more inconvenience to me than I have allready suffered. If everyone did this, they would soon give up.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Tensor wrote:
    Actually the worst thing spam wise for me is phone spam. The amount of calls I get from extra-national call centres trying to sell me a mobile phone is ridiculous.


    The preferred method is to get on the DNC Register, it only takes 2 minutes to fill out the form and you're all set.

    If they call up to a week after filling the form, when they call, tell them they've broken the law by calling you and make sure to get them to update their own list.

    Another favorite tactic of mine is to say Person X "died" about a week ago.

    As a result, I haven't received any cold-calls since August 2004 Smiley

  • User profile image
    Tensor

    No, the problem is that the do not call register does not extend outside the country. None of the calls I get originate from the UK.

  • User profile image
    Manip

    Get an anonymous incoming call lock (free for NTL customers). Because they withhold their numbers they can't call in at all.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.