Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Google Down... for a minute

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Did anyone have any DNS issues with resolving the Google.com (or Google.* TLDs) recently?

Aparently someone hijacked/poisoned their DNS entry... Engadget has a scoopt, ditto Om Malik's blog.

• User profile image
    pikatung

Yeah, it was down for a minute here too. Seach, gmail, maps, everything.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Wow...

I remember Google going down a couple of months ago due to a network hardware problem, but you'd think they'd be all over DNS security.

Remember when Microsoft's DNS servers were all on the same network segment, and someone DOS's the router?  That was a wake-up call.

It is possible that this was a localized thing - maybe Engadget and Om Malik use the same ISP?  If so, perhaps only the ISP's name server was poisoned.

Three poisoning possibilities:

Google's name server was poisoned
    Engadget/Om Malik's ISP's name server was poisoned
    The root servers were poisoned (not bloody likely...)

EDIT: given pikatung's response, I guess Google's name server was at fault... oopsie...
    EDIT2: some are reporting the outage as up to fifty minutes.  It is normal for DNS attacks to last different lengths for different people, depending on the TTL of their local DNS server's copy of the lookup at the time of the poisoning.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

This is actually the third confirmed outage this month, and the 4th this year.

• User profile image
    gangstah

It was funny because I was using the Google Accelerator and it said that google.com wasn't a valid name and that maybe I should use google.com to research it.

I can't tell you how long I got stuck in that vortex.

• User profile image
    Cider

gangstah wrote:
    It was funny because I was using the Google Accelerator and it said that google.com wasn't a valid name and that maybe I should use google.com to research it.

I can't tell you how long I got stuck in that vortex.

Jebus, uninstall that!

The Google Web Accelerator is probably the most evil technology released since Windows ME!

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Cider wrote:

Jebus, uninstall that!

The Google Web Accelerator is probably the most evil technology released since Windows ME!

According to substantiated rumor: That's very true.

I can't imagine what Google was thinking. Wait, I can, but I don't believe someone didn't bash them over the head.

Don't we have enough "web accelerators" already? Yes, they used a novel approach, and one that just happens to piss everyone off. They didn't just regurgitate a good idea long ago beaten to death: they made it worse.

At least for the moment. Google has a way of keeping an untarnished image: I wonder what they'll do? Smiley

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Michael Griffiths wrote:
    Cider wrote:

Jebus, uninstall that!

According to substantiated rumor: That's very true.

I can't imagine what Google was thinking. Wait, I can, but I don't believe someone didn't bash them over the head.

Don't we have enough "web accelerators" already? Yes, they used a novel approach, and one that just happens to piss everyone off. They didn't just regurgitate a good idea long ago beaten to death: they made it worse.

At least for the moment. Google has a way of keeping an untarnished image: I wonder what they'll do?

Google must be coated in like Teflon or something.
    To be honest, I've been fed up with Google for a while now... their Web APIs are crap, for one.  I read that no one is working on them, so I guess I'm out of luck for making stuff with it (well, I still can, its just that the API is kludgey).

• User profile image
    El Bruno

Spanish version
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/brunocapuano/

Byes from Spain

• User profile image
    Maurits

SoGo happens to own www.google.com.net
    New Scientist article seems to consider this was a problem with Google's DNS server
    Haven't seen any official word from Google

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.