Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Mimi ipods defective - BE WARNED!!! (as seen on 5-11 TSS)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    miamijjs

On last nights "The Screen Savers" (Tues 5-11 show) Kevin while talking about all the reported mimi ipod problems pulled out his personal mini ipod and it had deleted all of his songs.

This is not the second time it happned to him as he reported on various TSS shows.

I have a reg. 3rd gen Ipod and it works good but also has deleted all my songs once. Please consider waiting for apple to fix this problem before you make a apple purchase.

But don't take my word for it look around the internet for yourself for unbiased (non apple web site) reviews on this problem.

As a concerned computer user (PC and Mac) I'm reporting this information to hope others wont make the same MAC-MISTAKE.

Let the mac fanboy flames posts begain.

• User profile image
    RandyRants

<nonFlammable>
    Actually, I've had an iPod Gen 1 for a while and now a Gen 3 - any ideas as to which version of firmware they had on it?  I know there was an upgrade of it for the latest iTunes release... a fix might have been included, although I would think it would have been posted somewhere.
    </nonFlammable>

• User profile image
    cageyjames

miamijjs wrote:

Let the mac fanboy flames posts begain.

Yet the tone of you post is a flame itself...  "MAC-MISTAKE"?  You are just asking for something.  (Let alone watching The Screensavers).

• User profile image
    vanlandw

i am waiting for the fourth gen to come out before purchasing one...i've heard to many people have problems but they really are a great peice of technology   

• User profile image
    OldManCoyote

There are still design issues with the iPod's firmware architecture that I'm hearing from my past co-workers at PortalPlayer. The bug I'm hearing is probably the auto-format if there is a problem with read data of the 1.5" drive.

• User profile image
    miamijjs

(again) I myself have a ipod and besides it's deleting songs on its own I like it. I do believe their is a better answer, a better answer that includes the users "FREEDOM OF CHOICE" of what audio format, Music download store and hardware to use.

I'm not here to personally flame the ipod but report what was talked about on TSS and my personaly experience, its up to everyone to make the ipod or other  harware choice for themselves.

For me I will keep using my ipod (and crossing my fingers I don't have a apple error) until the handheld media center hardware comes out.

I'm also VERY interested in the MSN music store.

• User profile image
    cageyjames

There is a six week wait for the silver mini iPod so who knows, new users might have a fix by then.

• User profile image
    submariner

I've got my 5 GB first-gen as well, it's served admirably over the past couple years. I have over 6 GB of songs, so the iPod Mini is not an option for me at this time anyways. However, I do know some people with iPod Minis so, I will keep them updated. There is an issue with the headphone jack on the Mini's as noted on Apple's discussion page: http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@241.ICMiad74m6h.1@.6892f9a9 -------- As far as the disappearing songs issue... I can't find reference to that on Apple's site (no surprise) or on TechTV's gallery of show sites (or the show notes for the May 11th Show). Your songs can be deleted for a variety of issues, mostly when syncing, but I don't believe this to be the case here. I did a Google search and the closest I can come is to PC users using ephPod. here's the link: http://www.ephpod.com/listserver-archives/0778.html

• User profile image
    miamijjs

" I can't find reference to that on Apple's site (no surprise) or on TechTV's gallery of show sites (or the show notes for the May 11th Show). "

This was posted at the time I was watching the show tivo'ed. For anyoneone who has the show taped can view it but it's not my job to provide video.

Watch the show and you will see.

• User profile image
    submariner

I'm not doubting you saw it on the show, I'll look, it might be in reruns over the weekend... But are you using ephPod?

• User profile image
    miamijjs

If you have a diffrent (non hotmail or free) email account that takes larger files I may be able to have a bud send you a copy of the clip.

I have the ipod that was being sold at Christmas. I believe its a 3rd gen and it was purchased 100% new from Apple.

• User profile image
    submariner

I'll just take your word for it right now and keep watching the situation before I purchase a new iPod. Sounds like it might just be a software issue, however, but I'll keep tabs on it.

• User profile image
    mufoxe

You always hear about the bad sides of products on the Internet, no one really cares about all the success stories so I wanted to add my own success story.

I have been the proud owner of an iPod the last 8 months and not once have I experienced problems with songs magically disappearing.

That being said I have had other kinds of problems but they were related to Apple Corp. and not the product.

• User profile image
    miamijjs

I received mine about a week before Christmas and I have found:

1. It doesn't always rechage 100% or well at all via firewire.

2. It will delete all songs for no reason from time to time.

3. Metal back looks great until the first touch.

4. Apples ipod packaging is great.

Wish List for future ipods

1. Since apple screams about not making one cent on downloads then allow other companies to use the hardware.

2. Use a format that can be viewed on a windows network to allow "drag and drop" transfers.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.