Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Advice on a Media Player

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    VBJB

There is so much great information out on the web, which I do not have time to view at work. Most of the things that I am interested in are in MP3 or WMA format. I do not have much time to listen/view these things at work, but I have a 30 minute drive home from work. So here is my question:

What is the best portable media player to view/listen to these on my way home.

- Should I buy a pocket PC and browse the web on my way home?
    - Should I download them to a device before I leave work and listen to them on the way home (iPod)?
    - What devices are out there that would accommodate this portability?

Can you give me pros and cons of the different devices?

Thanks,

VBJB

• User profile image
    footballism

if ya wanna listen to John Denver's,I fully recommend ya to use TAPE RECODER or even Phonograph

sorry,kidding actually:)Smiley:)Smiley

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Don't get an iPod shuffle.  They suck sooo bad: they cost more for less features.  I have a PDA and a decent sized SD card, which turns my PDA into a media player... of sorts.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

DoomBringer wrote:

Don't get an iPod shuffle.  They suck sooo bad: they cost more for less features.  I have a PDA and a decent sized SD card, which turns my PDA into a media player... of sorts.

But PocketPCs cost waaay more than iPod Shuffles.

For 1GB of memory for only £50, I'd say iPod Shuffles are a pretty sweet deal.

• User profile image
    figuerres

VBJB wrote:

There is so much great information out on the web, which I do not have time to view at work. Most of the things that I am interested in are in MP3 or WMA format. I do not have much time to listen/view these things at work, but I have a 30 minute drive home from work. So here is my question:

- Should I download them to a device before I leave work and listen to them on the way home (iPod)?

Thanks,

VBJB

I have an older Toshiba PPC and take the city bus a lot.

I drag files onto it at home and play them while I'm on the bus.

I like that I can also load a *LOT* of other stuff into the PPC.
    ms streets and trips for example can put maps on the ppc and can use a gps.
    also word and excell on the ppc
    and there is an acrobat reader for the ppc.

• User profile image
    darklotus

DoomBringer wrote:

Why do they suck sooo bad?
    I think its a great device. Its small, easy to charge and fill with music.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

VBJB wrote:

Thanks,

VBJB

I use the sport version of the RIO Forge with an added 1.0 Gig SD1 card when I run or go mountain biking.  The sound quality is great and it has the ability to adjust it's power requirements to use 1.2v rechargable batteries.  The batteries last for at least 4 hours and probably further, but I've never tested it.  It is very water resistant as I have been caught in the pouring rain on one occasion and although I turned it off, and allowed it to dry when I got home, it still works.

The only con is the volume that I get out of it with the included headphones.  If you bump up the volume too much, you get clipping, so you are limited in how loud it can get, but I've tried other, better headphones and they are much louder.  This seems to be a common problem with included headphones. 

The armband thingie for using while you run seemed flimsy at first, and I kept expecting it to fall off while I was jumping logs in the woods, but it never did. 

Overall, I'd buy another one if this one ever broke.

1OK, what is the deal here.  Look for a 1 gig SD card and you see 1.0 Gig.  Guess how many bytes? 1,000,000,000.  Not 1073,741,824.  Thats a missing 70Meg of data.

• User profile image
    jmiller76

I have a X-Drive Pro (vp-3310), which is a handy external laptop Hard drive enclosure. It has USB connectivity and 5 in 1 card reader. I have an 80gig(75gig) hard drive in it. Search for it on NewEgg.com, very reasonable for what you get out of it $210.00. It can even function as a MP3 player but it doesn't have an in song fast forward/rewind.

I bought this so that when I am out and about taking pictures I can download them off the memory card, but it does qualify in the group.  The other disadvantage of this config is that has the harddrive platters spinning around in it, so jarring and dropping is a strict no-no.

• User profile image
    figuerres

ScanIAm wrote:

1OK, what is the deal here.  Look for a 1 gig SD card and you see 1.0 Gig.  Guess how many bytes? 1,000,000,000.  Not 1073,741,824.  Thats a missing 70Meg of data.

very old problem... happens with hard disk capacity also...

non-tech folks count by 10's 100's etc...

computers use counts based on hex/binary math so we start doing

256,512,1024 and so on....

so Kilo Byte can be 1024 or 1,000
    depending on who you ask....

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

darklotus wrote:
    DoomBringer wrote:

Why do they suck sooo bad?
    I think its a great device. Its small, easy to charge and fill with music.

iPod shuffles cost more than other very similar devices, and have less functionality.  I can probably find 4 devices from other manufacturers that are the same form factor, but include a display, FM radio, and more.  All for less money.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

I have a pocket PC and to be honest I never tried to use it like you are asking. I did download a video from c9 and it looks pretty good. If I was to do this everyday I could just sync it up to my pc at work and load up what I wanted to watch or listen to on the way home. I generally use my pocket PC to keep track of my schedule and take notes, ect  but I will probaly start downloading videos now.Smiley

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

harumscarum wrote:
    I have a pocket PC and to be honest I never tried to use it like you are asking. I did download a video from c9 and it looks pretty good. If I was to do this everyday I could just sync it up to my pc at work and load up what I wanted to watch or listen to on the way home. I generally use my pocket PC to keep track of my schedule and take notes, ect  but I will probaly start downloading videos now.

Oh, I wasn't recommending that a person should get a PDA.  I was just saying that I adapted what I already had and used it in a new way (kind of like OOP).  The battery life on it probably isn't as good as a regular MP3 player, or whatever. 

• User profile image
    Cairo

I had a series of portable media players, culminating in a 20GB iPod.

In the end, I stopped using all of them and sold the iPod.

What do I use now? Regular old audio CDs! I find them to be cheaper and more convenient.

Now, if I had a car that had a nice interface to the iPod, to make it easier (safer) to use while driving, I might reconsider. I know some systems (certain Alpines and Blaupunkts, I think) have an iPod control interface to let you use steering-wheel mounted controls with the iPod. That might make it usable for me. Not really an option available when I purchased my Saturn, though.

What might be even cooler is a voice-activated system, like in the Acura TLs have for the built-in satellite radio. "Ipod on. Next track. Playlist 'White Zombie'. Volume up.". With the steering-mounted controls as well. And maybe an in-dash stereo that swallowed the iPod like some oversized cassette tape.

• User profile image
    Cairo

DoomBringer wrote:
    harumscarum wrote:I have a pocket PC and to be honest I never tried to use it like you are asking. I did download a video from c9 and it looks pretty good. If I was to do this everyday I could just sync it up to my pc at work and load up what I wanted to watch or listen to on the way home. I generally use my pocket PC to keep track of my schedule and take notes, ect  but I will probaly start downloading videos now.

Oh, I wasn't recommending that a person should get a PDA.  I was just saying that I adapted what I already had and used it in a new way (kind of like OOP).  The battery life on it probably isn't as good as a regular MP3 player, or whatever. 

A few friends an I have Treo 650s with Sprint service. The CDMA data connections are fast enough that we can tune into 'internet radio' (like shoutcast) while driving around. I also have mine loaded with a 1GB SD card, with a smattering of MP3s on it. It's not that a great as an audio device, though.

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

DoomBringer wrote:

My Dell Axim x30's sound quality is abysmal. Very very noisy and tinny. I certainly wouldn't use it as a media player.

I actually bought a MiniDisc player last year. Sure, the first 1GB is pretty expensive - £200 or so - but additional 1GB discs are about £5. And you don't need to resynchronize to change what you're listening to, just change discs.

Unfortunately the software is atrocious. MD Simple Burner isn't too bad (but needs at least Power User privileges) but SonicStage is awful.

• User profile image
    VBJB

Thanks guys! I am going to first try burning them to a CD and listen to them in my car. Can Widows Media Player convert to *.wav? The next economical choice is to download it to my laptop and set in the passenger seat next to me and listen to it as I drive and that doesn't seem to work I will by a pocket PC.

Thanks again!

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

VBJB wrote:
    Thanks guys! I am going to first try burning them to a CD and listen to them in my car. Can Widows Media Player convert to *.wav?

No, but it can burn CDs directly.

• User profile image
    VBJB

Sven Groot wrote:
    VBJB wrote: Thanks guys! I am going to first try burning them to a CD and listen to them in my car. Can Widows Media Player convert to *.wav?

No, but it can burn CDs directly.

Ok! I burnt my first CD! Now, I tried to go back and add another one, it looks like it seals the CD when it finished burning. Is this true? Can I add more until the disk is full?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.