Coffeehouse Thread

35 posts

New CodeRoom Episode Released

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    scobleizer

The CodeRoom is a show where four experts are challenged with a coding problem. This time they are whisked around Seattle to build a kiosk using Windows XP Embedded that would broadcast a Bluetooth service that another application, also written by the contestants, could use to search for products, stores, and special offers available within the mall. And more. See the CodeRoom site over on TheServerSide.NET for more.

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

Cool, thanks for letting us know.

I've been looking forward to this...

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Tell me about it. The back of my head made it into the video at the first stop. These guys had a full on camera crew with funky boom microphones and stuff.

• User profile image
    Rory

If any of you watch the show and would like to comment on it, then I'd love to hear from you.

I put up some forums today so that you could all complain/praise/preach to your heart's content Smiley

http://www.thecoderoom.com/cs/forums

• User profile image
    Rory

Beer28 wrote:
    you guys have crazy money to burn

It's not about money, though - at least not directly.

Like Channel 9, it's a community-focused thingy, although with an entirely different approach (obviously).

It gives us a chance to showcase developers as well as our own technology. I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to say (still getting my corporate legs), but the developers who go on The CodeRoom will wind up getting viewed...

...a *lot*.

For the ones who want to take advantage of that, it could be great for business. In that sense, Microsoft might profit inderectly (MS devs getting more business, leading to more purchases of Ms licenses, etc.).

But, I've been talking to a lot of devs who just want to do it for the fun of it, and it *will* get pretty fun. I'm in the process right now of getting the next few episodes approved, and I'm hoping the community really enjoys them.

So, yeah - it's not about dough. Microsoft makes plenty of that. It's about getting people involved and getting the word out on what can be done with our products.

In this episode, for example, you get to see a bunch of new stuff for Windows Mobile - the shared source managed bluetooth bits, the managed camera API, SQL Server Mobile (now on SmartPhones), and too many more things to list.

Anyway, if it *were* about money, I can assure you that this show is a lot cheaper than you probably think it is. The dollar per viewer cost is ridiculously low.

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

scobleizer wrote:
    The CodeRoom is a show where four experts are challenged with a coding problem. This time they are whisked around Seattle to build a kiosk using Windows XP Embedded that would broadcast a Bluetooth service that another application, also written by the contestants, could use to search for products, stores, and special offers available within the mall. And more. See the CodeRoom site over on TheServerSide.NET for more.

Hey, I know Paul Yao - his son and my daughter used to be in the same class together Smiley

• User profile image
    Rory

Beer28 wrote:

Cheaper than google adwords? just kidding...

Oh. Um.

Totally.

In Canadian dollars.

On double-coupon day.

In 1983.

(exit stage left...)

• User profile image
    Minh

LarryOsterman wrote:

Hey, I know Paul Yao - his son and my daughter used to be in the same class together
    And didn't he help write that book with Charles Petzold?

PS, I thought Rory is a MS employee. No?
    PPS, Is there a homoerrotic theme running through Rory's videos? Or is it just me?

• User profile image
    Steve411

Minh wrote:
    LarryOsterman wrote:
    Hey, I know Paul Yao - his son and my daughter used to be in the same class together
    And didn't he help write that book with Charles Petzold?

PS, I thought Rory is a MS employee. No?
    PPS, Is there a homoerrotic theme running through Rory's videos? Or is it just me?

Rory is a Microsoft employee. Mostly in the MSDN department with the events and all. And he's been bit by the funny bug way too many times. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Tensor

Minh wrote:
    Is there a homoerrotic theme running through Rory's videos? Or is it just me?

No, its at least two of us. With that sense of humour, he could almost be British. Rory, you need a swanee whistle.

Also - how about a C9 meta-coderoom video. Video the videors Smiley

• User profile image
    Inker

Is there a download link for this?

• User profile image
    iStation

What an extreme quartet programming!
    .NET == XPQ ?
    Wink

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

Inker wrote:
    Is there a download link for this?

I asked the same in the forums at thecoderoom.com  and Rory answered:
    Rory wrote:
    The downloadable episode is on its way. We're working right now with Carl Franklin to get the show podcasted through his pwop service.

It's going to be another few days, but we'll get there Smiley

• User profile image
    erik_

Inker:

Use Xi Net Transporter, HiDownload or any other program like that.

Get the mms:\\*.wmv out of the html source and download it..

• User profile image
    Rory

Minh wrote:

Oh, c'mon!

The CodeRoom?

If you can tell me what's so homoerotic about taking a bunch of men, stuffing them together in a tiny room, and watching them under pressure as they sweat and their cheasts heave with...

Well.

I'll be damned.

• User profile image
    Rory

Tensor wrote:

With that sense of humour, he could almost be British.

That would actually require quite a bit more flatulence and cross-dressing, both of which I claim not to do.

• User profile image
    eagle

I was expecting a little gratuitous nudity and violence, but I thought you did a great job Rory.

• User profile image
    Inker

erik_ wrote:
    Inker:

Use Xi Net Transporter, HiDownload or any other program like that.

Get the mms:\\*.wmv out of the html source and download it..

Well, problem is anything but http is pretty much blocked by the proxy (streaming protocol def. are) and I want to avoid downloading from home.

Guess I'll wait a few days.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.