Coffeehouse Thread

36 posts

Which firewall is secure and useable?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Loadsgood

I need some 9ers help here. I want a firewall that secures me and is useable, preferably without bugs in it. I use ZoneAlarm Pro, it's good except it causes IE to not be able to tell me the size of any files I download, nor be able to see any pictures that you guys post in the forums Crying
    I used to use Norton Internet Security '05 but that just takes up too much resources. What firewalls do you guys use and how has your experiences been with them?

Maybe one that networks eaily too.
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    Jaz

just use a hardware firewall

• User profile image
    harumscarum

I use the one with XP sp2. It is secure, useable, and free.

• User profile image
    geekling

Windows SP2 comes with a built-in firewall that does not make me want to punch people.

Alternatively, if you're on broadband your little blinking box might actually serve as a firewall/router, so you might want to check it out.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

I use Zonealarm Pro, and I'm afraid I haven't experienced the same problems you have.

Do you know if you have configuration issues? Check if you have Web Filtering enabled; turn it off. Try turning off Privacy as well, and if that works re-enable piecemiel. Smiley

• User profile image
    Manip

I use a Linksys Router with SP2 firewall.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

I use SP2 firewall and whatever else I can... being portable sucks because my environment changes a lot.

• User profile image
    Shaded

DoomBringer wrote:
    I use SP2 firewall and whatever else I can... being portable sucks because my environment changes a lot.

I second Doom's comments.

• User profile image
    Manip

Beer28 wrote:
    iptables, you can try running it with cygwin

hahaha! That's why I love you Beer, you're funny. Smiley

• User profile image
    Cairo

Beer28 wrote:
    iptables, you can try running it with cygwin

Hehe

$su -
    password:
    # modprobe WINWORD.EXE

Anyhoo, I had a pretty good experience with Zonealarm in the Win2k days. I've enabled the XPSP2 firewall on the Windows laptops these days, and shut off extraneous services. Stay way from BlackICE. Set your software firewall to deny all incoming connections. If you don't initiate a network connection, you don't want it. You'll have to make an exception for DHCP.

My best advice is to use a hardware firewall when at all possible. For laptop users, you can get a PC Card or USB NIC with a built-in firewall. For hotel use, you can carry a small access point router that does NAT, such as an Airport Express.

• User profile image
    footballism

I used Kaspersky Internet Security,but this Russian stuff really eats up a lot of system resources,and prevents me from doing a lot of things.
       so I plan to resort to some other firewalls,but still cannot find an appropriate alternative.
       the same to Loadsgood,Niners,pls give us some suggestions?

• User profile image
    TimP

I would recommend a hardware firewall. It doesn't bug you and doesn't use any system resources. I've had a good experience with Linksys. As far as software goes, the Windows XP SP2 firewall is also good.

• User profile image
    Dr. Shim

I've got CAT-5 cables hooked into my head, and I spend most of the day filtering out packets which I believe might be malicious. But I also use the Windows XP SP2 firewall when I get headaches.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Hardware firewalls have the advantage of being NAT devices, which adds a layer of security on top of the port-blocking of your typical software firewall.  On the other hand they're not free.

• User profile image
    Streaky

I personally *enjoy* using Agnitum Outpost - http://agnitum.com/ - but I have smoothwall http://www.smoothwall.org/ lined up for when I move house and isp in a few weeks, looking forward to that one *g*

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Michael Griffiths wrote:
    I use Zonealarm Pro, and I'm afraid I haven't experienced the same problems you have.

Do you know if you have configuration issues? Check if you have Web Filtering enabled; turn it off. Try turning off Privacy as well, and if that works re-enable piecemiel.

I'll back up what he said.  I've used ZoneAlarm Pro for years and it works quite well.  I get to see all of the cute images of Jamie's Dog when they're posted...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I've been using my hardware firewall & NAT for the past 2 years without any intrusion.

Of course, such firewalls are all incoming-only or port-blocking. Not much help if you have a dial-out trojan (but safe from dial-in ones like the script-kiddies' favorite: Sub7)

But that's of no concern to me, I know the process and service lists of all my machines off by heart, and along with TCPView my network is essentially bulletproof.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

W3bbo wrote:

But that's of no concern to me, I know the process and service lists of all my machines off by heart, and along with TCPView my network is essentially bulletproof.

Which is kind of a funny phrase.  Cuz if I came to your house and shot your router, it wouldn't be so bulletproof any more.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.