figuerres

at the end is some text that's odd...

I think it said:

More truth where the music is watched

???

I guess this a hint at the MTV thing???

• User profile image
    imekon

Oh look Scott and Steve flash past yelling "surround sound". Blink, and you'll miss it!

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Hey Scob, interview the XBox team.  As for the console, looks good.  But I still love my old one.

• User profile image
    DuNuNuBatman

That's cool... when do I get so see some gaming footage??? Huh... Huh... Huh???

• User profile image
    Dr. Shim

The video is cool, no doubt about that. But it doesn't say anything about the product, in my view. I'd like to see some purely technical data about it. I like the idea that you can take it apart, though.

• User profile image
    Bogusrabin

I think video is only stupid and irritating american stylish commercial.
    Hopefully we will see game or two in E3. XBox 360 sounds really powerful (it _is_) and interesting.

• User profile image
    Dr. Shim
  • User profile image
    coccyx

Dunno, I thought it was kinda cool.  Obviously, it was a produced video, but hey, it got the message across.

The problem with the Xbox 360 for me is that I don't have the money (or the time really) to invest in another gaming platform, but if it's as good as people are saying I may find the money.

Clint

• User profile image
    AQ

So this video was the final pay-off for all your hard work in tracking down clues to the viral game? wow

Is there even a remote hint of a possibility that we would ever see a hobbyist-oriented sdk for the xbox? Xdk-Express. With all the media and in-game files collected on the machine, it seems only natural to have some way of hacking services and apps to organize your content. Similar to Media Center's SDk, which can even be used to create mini-games.

How nice would it be to open a VS project. Reference the appropriate Microsoft.DirectX.XboX.dll's. Build and Debug. And then rip an executable to a dvd which can then be loaded to your xbox?

Is it even feasible? Or is the box's hardware, OS and DirectX runtime completely incompatible?  

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Minh

Programous wrote:
    (That was MS’s major excuse for not opening it up this time, wasn’t it?).
    MS will never fully open the Xbox. Simply because they want quality control over the games that are released on it. If players became disinterested in a console because quality games are more miss than hit, then they'll switch to PS3 or Revolution.

Programous wrote:

But what would be even cooler is if Xbox 360 supported the .net framework.
    That's a possibility. XBox has Arcade Live, which hosts small games. There's no reason they couldn't be written in C#. The process still isn't opened. MS still want to pre-approve those games. We'll see how it turns out.

• User profile image
    reinux

Programous wrote:

But what would be even cooler is if Xbox 360 supported the .net framework.

I think it would be.

The main objective of XNA is developer productivity, as it is one of the main objectives of the .NET framework.

Also since there's going to be online connectivity, they'll definitely want to take advantage of .NET's CAS (Code Access Security -- run code without worrying about it doing anything it shouldn't, like Javascript and Flash) capabilities. That'd kill their security excuse, though, so they might not like that idea.

AQ wrote:

How nice would it be to open a VS project. Reference the appropriate Microsoft.DirectX.XboX.dll's. Build and Debug. And then rip an executable to a dvd which can then be loaded to your xbox?
    Is it even feasible? Or is the box's hardware, OS and DirectX runtime completely incompatible?  

It's feasible for sure. I can run .NET code compiled for Windows on my PocketPC -- with of course the exception of functionality that isn't available on the Compact Framework. I bet you'd probably still have to do some porting though.

And yeah, I'd definitely love to do hobby development on the thing. I'll cry if they leave us hobbyists out.

I wonder how it'll hold up against PS3 in terms of raw processing power... it's probably not the most important issue, but I'm sure it's a question we've all got at the back of our heads. My guess is that for general purposes the Xbox would win, but the Cell processor would win for well crafted programs of specific common scenarios. There's an article about the Cell processor tiling 48 SVGA resolution MPEG-2 videos. My P4 2.4c HT and Radeon9600 can do 6 without slowing down. It can't do 8.

It's apples and oranges though, considering the fact that Cell processors are general-purpose, while the PowerPC processors for the Xbox are being customized.

Any thoughts?

• User profile image
    staceyw

Sounds sweet.  Intel must be sick.  Does this mean PowerPC is back on the HAL support list for PCs going forward?  I like the old black and green box; the white box did not impress for some reason.  Skins is a good move however.  Can't wait to see a high def game on this thing.  What OS is it running?  Cheers.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Matt8109

Wired has an interesting article about where MS is going with the XBOX 360.  They acutally got to talk to J Allard about it.  The XBOX Reloaded

Programous wrote:
      It offers very limited advantages over x86, and it is supposedly really hard to program for. Witch would probably be a reason Sony’s using it, they have a reputation of making consoles that are hard to program for.

I have heard it is hard to program for as well.  I think it was the Toms Hardware article that it mentioned this was going to hurt them as porting games to/from the xbox and pc(and even nintendo's systems) is easier then porting it to the PS3 if you want to take full advantage of the cell.

• User profile image
    reinux

staceyw wrote:
    Sounds sweet.  Intel must be sick.  Does this mean PowerPC is back on the HAL support list for PCs going forward?  I like the old black and green box; the white box did not impress for some reason.  Skins is a good move however.  Can't wait to see a high def game on this thing.  What OS is it running?  Cheers.

I'm sure Intel's going to do its damnedest to keep up though, so hopefully they'll give us even more to drool over soon. Personally I like the new Xbox design. From what I'm piecing together, I think it runs Windows XP Media Centre Edition 2005.

Programous wrote:

It offers very limited advantages over x86, and it is supposedly really hard to program for. Witch would probably be a reason Sony’s using it, they have a reputation of making consoles that are hard to program for. Also, I believe Xbox 360 will beat the PS3 in terms of processing power.

I have a feeling it got Slashdotted a bit too much. They were going absolutely nuts over the possibility of a "wintel" killer. Then the media took it up as one. They have a habit of picking up info off of blogs and speculative articles these days...

Who knows though, half of it might be true. Can't wait to see both the machines Smiley

• User profile image
    Minh

Screen caps of the various designs:

• User profile image
    Tensor

Playstation being difficult to programm for didnt stop it being the top console for the last however many years - why would it now? Playstations success is a brand thing, not a tech thing.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.