Coffeehouse Thread

52 posts

Cool Xbox 360 video

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    reinux

Tensor wrote:
    Playstation being difficult to programm for didnt stop it being the top console for the last however many years - why would it now? Playstations success is a brand thing, not a tech thing.

I'm surprised Xbox did so well in Japan, considering Sony is a lifestyle more than just a brand to many people. Sony is (was) a bit of a patriotic symbol in Japan too, since they're credited as one of the big reasons for Japan's rapid post-war development.

And yeah, difficult programming has always been attractive to certain groups of programmers, I think.

• User profile image
    eddwo

I like design number 9 above, but the final design looks OK too.

The cell will certainly be very hard to program for if you want to go right to the metal, but apparently Sony are providing a full OpenGL implementation and lots of developer libraries, so they won't quite be throwing developers in at the deep end as they did with the PS2.

It will be quite tricky making Xbox 360 games that can maximise the use of 6 concurrent threads, but I expect the developers will work up to it over a few years as they need to get closer to the bare hardware to keep improving games on the same platform.

I hope the playing video over a network feature works with "Windows Media Connect" sharing and does not require an actual Media Center Edition PC.

I might actually get one of these and I've never had a console before.

• User profile image
    daSmirnov

The media functions are awesome.  Yeah it looks like you will be able to use Windows Media Connect - I've just brought another copy of XP for my server now (was running 2000) getting geared up for it.  The specs mention say "Ability to stream media from portable music devices, digital cameras and Windows XP-based PCs" from http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/factsheet.htm so that looks pretty solid.

Some trailers of 360 games:

http://www.xbox360degrees.com/2005/05/14/Video/mtvs-quake-4-clip.html
    http://www.xbox360degrees.com/2005/05/14/Video/mtvs-project-gotham-racing-3-clip.html
    http://www.xbox360degrees.com/2005/05/14/Video/ghost-recon-3-clip.html

Quake 4 and Ghost Recon looking pretty good.

• User profile image
    reinux

I like how they had to mute the audio right after the explosion haha.

More screenies!

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/747/747891/imgs_1.html

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

In the video (or maybe the MTV special?) I saw the screenshots of XBox 360 and in the background, there was a place to buy levels... I *thought* I saw Halo 2.. Which, maybe, possibly, hopefully, please-please, let you run XBox 1 games on XBox 2..

• User profile image
    rhm

MisterDonut wrote:
    In the video (or maybe the MTV special?) I saw the screenshots of XBox 360 and in the background, there was a place to buy levels... I *thought* I saw Halo 2.. Which, maybe, possibly, hopefully, please-please, let you run XBox 1 games on XBox 2..

I think they already anounced that it was going to ship with a HD update of Halo2 (dubbed Halo2.5) that might include some new content but will essentially be the same game. So that doesn't really say anything about XBox1 compatability.

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

1. The guy with the fruit (I'll watch my language)er shirt = +10 charisma.

2. I'm sorry, did I hear him suggest a faceplate with hair?

• User profile image
    Bogusrabin

From GameTrailers.com

Comdemned
    Full Auto
    Ghost Recon 3
    Gears Of War

( and S.T.A.L.K.E.R for PC. Most interesting FPS game ever )

• User profile image
    MurphyB2005

I am in love with Pariah myself....it's a must-have!!!

• User profile image
    reinux

MisterDonut wrote:

I wonder if that'd be feasible?

DirectX is backwards compatible, so no problem there (Xbox uses DX right? I'm not sure), but PowerPC isn't compatible with the x86 architecture...

• User profile image
    Cairo

Programous wrote:

well, XBox is based on Direct X 9. I’ve heard (I don’t actually have an XDK) that is very similar to writing windows programs that use Direct X. What I would really like to see is for them is to open up the XDK to everyone, and just provide a security warring when you try and run an unsigned game. (That was MS’s major excuse for not opening it up this time, wasn’t it?). But what would be even cooler is if Xbox 360 supported the .net framework.

XBox 1 = Palladium public beta 1. Cracked.
    XBox 2 = Palladium public beta 2.

• User profile image
    Rossj
  • User profile image
    lars

Rossj wrote:

Big Smile

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

Rossj wrote:

I love Apple hardware.. It's the OS I don't particularly care for (It's just that I am used to the Windows metaphors and have a disliking to Jobs).

I really wish that Microsoft would make the next version of Windows also run on PowerPC chips, and a .NET framework to match.. Smiley But, I know they won't. After all, you'd have to re-compile all the binaries..

• User profile image
    reinux

MisterDonut wrote:

I really wish that Microsoft would make the next version of Windows also run on PowerPC chips, and a .NET framework to match.. But, I know they won't. After all, you'd have to re-compile all the binaries..

They do make their code compatible with Alpha and PowerPC, so it might not be too surpising to see something like that soon. There's been a PowerPC vesion of WinNT before, but that was quite a while ago.

I think the bigger issue would be moving the rest of the world to PowerPC, not just Windows.

• User profile image
    Minh

Rossj wrote:
    Technically, it's IBM's chip. But that's too close for comfort.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.