Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

What Keyboards do you use ?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    hbach

Hi all,
    actually i'm looking for a new keyboard.
    I'm seraching for a keyboard that is programmer friendly.
    It seems that you can't buy the "Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro" anymore and the "Microsoft Natural MultiMedia Keyboard" is not the best for programmers (some problems with the key positions).

So what keyboards do you use ??

Greetings from Germany
    Henning

• User profile image
    Manip

I use the Microsoft MultiMedia Natural Keyboard. What are you refering to? I don't have any issues with key position. But the MMN has two design faults that you should be made aware of, first the back legs are poorly designed and constructed and can break easily... Secondly it has the F Lock issue in which you have to turn it on post-restart in order to use normal F1 though F0.

I already know my next "upgrade", same keyboard again. There is nothing on the market today that can hold its own like this one can. Also I have become addicted to my media keys (you don't even need to install third party software, just plug it in and go).

• User profile image
    RWeigelt

My all-time favorite is the Cherry G80-3000

While the G81 and G83 models are not much different from "cheap" keyboards, the G80 models are really high class in terms of quality.
    Take a look here: http://www.cherry.de/english/business-solutions/office_business_g80-3000.htm

This keyboard is available in various versions, e.g. with three different key characteristics ("Linear action", "soft contact", "keyclick").; the version for PS/2, Win, linear action (which I prefer), German layout is the G80-3000 LPMDE.

Greetings from Bonn,
    Roland

• User profile image
    hbach

The "Microsoft Natural Keyboard pro" has the typical key positions. And it is  my prefered keyboard. But the MultiMedia Natural Keyboard has a big "Del" key and the "INS" Key is not on the normal position. If you look at the "Pro" you can see the difference between then. And i think this can be a problem if you work for years with the "pro" style and than you don't have the INS and DEL Key on their "normal" position.

Henning

• User profile image
    z3ek

Hi

Even though I use Windows XP i'm using the apple keyboard, it looks good and its loverly to type on. it only cost £20 so you can't go wrong with that.

I have also got a happy hacker keyboard.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Logitech Multimedia Keyboard Deluxe (Whilst' it's USB/PS2, I'm running it in PS2 mode)

Although you'll be hard-pressed to find it stand-alone, now you can only get it in wireless form with the "Wireless Desktop MX"

I like the way it works well with WinAMP (and under Windows it automatically works with WMP OOB without needing to install any extrware)

It, like the Microsoft one, has "F-Lock", but it isn't so much of an issue since after a while you turn it on by habit.

• User profile image
    Andrei P

I have the Microsoft MultiMedia Natural Keyboard, the second one in Manip's post (ya, the one with the F Lock issue, which I got used to).

It's not true that this keyboard isn't great for programmers. I am a programmer and after I got used to it (a few days), I'm more productive than on a classic keyboard. The only problem is that after you get used to the Natural layout you may have difficulties when typing on a classic keyboard (like I do).

Also the position of your hands on this Natural keyboard is more... natural Smiley. And the quality is the best you can get.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Andrei P. wrote:
    Also the position of your hands on this Natural keyboard is more... natural . And the quality is the best you can get.

I don't know about you.. but I type on my "regular" keyboard with my hands at the same angle you type on an ergomic one.

Regardless, ergonomic keyboars are poo for gaming, since it's split around "f" how am I supposed to reach "h" with my thumb when I'm using WASD?

Okay, kind of redundant, since I use an n50 and n52 for gaming, but the point still stands.

• User profile image
    Manip

I don't have a problem switching between the natural and classic, I have used both for years and my typing speed is about the same on both. However I do touch type so maybe that is why, and I learnt on a classic (like learning on a manual car and moving up to automatic, you never forget manual).

I just have to know, how often do you use the insert key? I know I have had to use it only a couple of times and in both cases it had nothing to do with coding. There is one on the keyboard but it is hidden under the PrintScreen key as an alternative with F-Lock.

I find a big large delete key a lot more helpful, but I guess that just shows how I use my computer. Wink

W3bbo: If you use your left have to touch H or your right hand to tough G in a game then you need to learn to touch-type correctly, longterm it will do you go.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Manip wrote:
    W3bbo: If you use your left have to touch H or your right hand to tough G in a game then you need to learn to touch-type correctly, longterm it will do you go.

When I'm using WASD, I sometimes need to hit "H" (especilly in games with awkward controls settings)

As for the insert key.. I sometimes use it (Shift+Ins)  instead of Ctrl+V but the rest of the time I forget to press Shift so I end up overwriting work.

Good thing we've still got Ctrl+Z

Btw... who's brilliant idea was it to introduce "Undo" ?

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

I have two sets of Microsoft's Bluetooth Keyboard / Mouse. I *love* the mouse. I never thought I'd use the side buttons, but now, it's second nature.

Overall, I like them, but they have their quirks:

* The Bluetooth tranceiver for the computer will not directly install on XP SP2. It was "no longer supported" or something like that. I had to buy a separate bluetooth dongle.. 50 more bucks.. Sad It *does* work on an SP2 that was upgraded (and previously installed).

* The original Bluetooth Dongle would only work for the keyboard and mouse, no other bluetooth devices (that I could figure out, nor my friends).

* Battery Life of the mouse is about 3-4 weeks..

* Takes a few seconds on boot for the keyboard / mouse to "kick in". Doesn't happen with my Missus' Logitech keyboard / mouse.

It definately has a good feel to it, though. I wouldn't recommend buying them, but now that I have it and know how to work around the quirks, I'm staying with them for a while.

• User profile image
    dnrfan
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

I have a Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop, which is a Wireless Multimedia Keyboard and a Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0, both are great. The keyboard sometimes falters a little, but I suspect this is a loose connection somewhere (shaking tends to fix it).

Battery life is long on this set, very long. I've had the thing since November 2003, and in all that time I've replaced the batteries of the mouse twice, and the keyboard only once.

• User profile image
    JKelley

We had a wireless Microsoft keyboard in our conference room here at work for awhile.  It shared a similar layout with the MultiMedia natural keyboard above.  My biggest gripe about it was the fact that Home / End are no longer in the same spot!  Since I use those two keys constantly while coding or showing off code it was a very big inconvenience.  I never got used to it.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Wow, has nobody seen or used the Logitech DiNovo? Smiley

I use it at home and it's worth the extra money. Laptop-style keys are sweet to type with...

• User profile image
    SvendTofte

Wow, a forum full of programmars, and no followers of the IBM Model M keyboard??

• User profile image
    Manip

I *hate* the model M. The keys require more effort to push down, the thing is ugly as sin and it is just a terrible keyboard. I can't think of a single good thing about it!

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

Harlequin wrote:
    Wow, has nobody seen or used the Logitech DiNovo?

I use it at home and it's worth the extra money. Laptop-style keys are sweet to type with...

This is the keyboard that I want, along with a Logitech MX-1000 laser mouse. I just love laptop keyboards, and this keyboard mimicks it quite well! I also like how the number pad is a separate component, so that you can move it asside if you're not using it. I have got to find one of these!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.