Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Missed opportunity?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    JParrish

Why would Microsoft allow something that would seem so promising to slip past them? Media PC still requires a full computer, with very strict configuration (for user experience) yet these guys seem to have taken an XBox and turned it into a very awesome media center..  http://www6.tomshardware.com/consumer/20040511/xbox-multimedia-01.html

• User profile image
    PaoloM

You're right!

In fact, have you seen how well XBMC lets you access the online guide and record shows and let you pause live TV and...

Oh wait, it doesn't Smiley

• User profile image
    JParrish

I think that would fall into the classification of a DVR.. but I agree.. that should be a part of a media center.. does MS Media center do that now?

• User profile image
    lars

Have you noticed how it costs $900? Oh wait, it doesn't...

/Lars.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

JParrish wrote:
    I think that would fall into the classification of a DVR.. but I agree.. that should be a part of a media center.. does MS Media center do that now?

It always had, I thought it was the whole point of it being a Media Center... Smiley

• User profile image
    JParrish

Looks like it does, and that is certainly a reason I shouldn't have compared it to Media PC.. but XBox is still cheaper than many network capable MP3 streaming devices at now 149.00.. it just seems that the hardware is so much more capable than what MS has done with it thus far.

I realize they are taking a loss on the hardware to sell games, but that seems not to be the only realistic profit model?

• User profile image
    Jaz

Xbox 2 might be more media center orientated, then again probably not

• User profile image
    gmiley

lars wrote:
    Have you noticed how it costs $900? Oh wait, it doesn't...

/Lars.

That brought a smile to my face. Thanks lars =)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.