Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Hotmail free account no longer accessible with OLExpress or OL

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    mrservices

Hello All, without notice I received this notice on Outlook Express and on OL 2003 cannot connect to Hotmail.
    Does anyone know if Google GMAIL will setup in OL 2003?

Best regards,

Roger

• User profile image
    Steve411

Oh well. They will loose a lot of customers. Like me, Good bye Hotmail, hello g-mail!

• User profile image
    Manip

..wow, sucks to me you. Oh by the way they just DELETED ALL MSN E-MAIL BOXES COMPLETELY!

So before you start complaining at least you can still read mail.

• User profile image
    manickernel

Still works for me in Outlook just fine.

• User profile image
    mrservices

"Still works for me in Outlook just fine."

Thanks for the posts and I will check again in the office tomorrow.

When I tried to access my hotmail account, setup as HTTP in OL 2003, nothing displayed in any of my hotmail folders.

Roger 

• User profile image
    Buzza

Works for me as well !!!

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Manip wrote:
    ..wow, sucks to me you. Oh by the way they just DELETED ALL MSN E-MAIL BOXES COMPLETELY!

So before you start complaining at least you can still read mail.

No, they didn't.

Mine still works.

• User profile image
    footballism

manickernel wrote:
    Still works for me in Outlook just fine.

but actually OE doesn't support free hotmail account now,that's true.
    goodbye hotmail,and hello gmail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

You can't use Outlook or Outlook Express to open your Hotmail officially anymore.

Unless you subscribe to this "Hotmail via Outlook" plan that's a rip-off (surprise surprise) and requires you to use this "Hotmail Connector for Outlook" that sits in Outlook's toolbar.

Aparently this was because people were spamming via "Hotmail via Outlook ", so they decided to close it down (fair 'nuff)

So anyway, I stopped using Hotmail long before then (the ads were getting too OTT, I'm not even old enough to have a mortgage, so why do I see Halifax ads everywhere?)

...And now I use Exchange and it pwns Smiley

• User profile image
    Sabot

mrservices wrote:

Hello All, without notice I received this notice on Outlook Express and on OL 2003 cannot connect to Hotmail.
    Does anyone know if Google GMAIL will setup in OL 2003?

Best regards,

Roger

Let me explain ...

If you pay the subscription for the extra space, you also get the ability to connect via Outlook as Outlook connectivity has been withdrawn on the free service.

The notice has been on the website for sometime.

• User profile image
    theogray_com

Some older accounts are being allowed to keep accessing via Outlook for free at the moment, but new accounts definately won't be able to use it anymore as part of the free service.

Things were going wierd yesterday, and weren't working all day, but everything seems to be back to normal today.

• User profile image
    jmiller76

As was mentioned existing accounts that have been connecting with outlook will still be allowed to do so.  Or at least that is what the friendly email said.

I also had a problem connecting to Hotmail the other day.  I logged on via the website to check if things were still up.  I was faced with a TOS change form.  After accepting the new EULA Hotmail started working in OE again.

- Josh

• User profile image
    LeighS

To answer the other part of the question, Gmail works great with OL2003.

Leigh

• User profile image
    mrservices

Hello All, thanks for the posts and this is what is on my Outlook 2003.

I can still access my hotmail folders in Outlook but no retrieval.

Any recommendations on other free e-mail services? I was thinking Google gmail.

Best regards,

Roger

Sorry about the poor pasting job here : )

• User profile image
    W3bbo

You just pasted an image with a source attribute pointing to a local folder.

Yo, Upload it, biznitch!

• User profile image
    mrservices

W3bbo wrote:
    You just pasted an image with a source attribute pointing to a local folder.

Yo, Upload it, biznitch!

Thanks W3bbo for the instruction.

Roger

• User profile image
    MurphyB2005

I have some gmail invites if anyone is interested...email me :o)

• User profile image
    ZippyV

And for some reason it's possible again to access Hotmail from Outlook.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.