Coffeehouse Thread

122 posts

XBOX 360 vs PS3

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ian

Just to state the obvious, but I guess its down to the delivery dates, if both are out by XMAS then PS3 looks stronger (at least from the specs), otherwise XBOX 360 has the advantage.

I Really feel for both teams with so much at stake.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Ian wrote:

Give it a few weeks, you'll slowly develop a sense of apathy Smiley

• User profile image
    leighsword

Ian wrote:
    Just to state the obvious, but I guess its down to the delivery dates, if both are out by XMAS then PS3 looks stronger (at least from the specs), otherwise XBOX 360 has the advantage.

cann't believe it, PS3 is more powerful than my PC?

CPU: Cellプロセッサ
    -PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
    -1 VMX vector unit per core
    -512KB L2 cache
    -7 x SPE @3.2GHz
    -7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
    -7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
    -1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
    -浮動小数点演算性能:218 Gフロップ

GPU
    -RSX @550MHz
    -浮動小数点演算性能:1.8 テラフロップ
    -フルHD (最大1080p) x 2 チャネル
    -マルチウェイ・プログラマブル・パラレルパイプライン

サウンド
    -ドルビー5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell- base processing)

メモリ
    -256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
    -256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

システム帯域幅
    -Main RAM: 25.6GB/s
    -VRAM: 22.4GB/s
    -RSX: 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s(read)
    -SB: 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

システム浮動小数点演算性能:2テラフロップ

ストレージ
    -ハードディスク: Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1

入出力
    -USB: Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
    -Memory Stick: standard/Duo, PRO x 1
    -SD: standard/mini x 1
    -CompactFlash: (Type I, II) x 1

通信機能
    -Ethernet: (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
    -Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 b/g
    -Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

コントローラ
    -Bluetooth:(up to 7)
    -USB2.0: (wired)
    -Wi-Fi: (PSP)
    -ネットワーク: (over IP)

AV出力
    -画面サイズ: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
    -HDMI: HDMI out x 2
    -アナログ: AVマルチ出力 x 1
    -デジタルオーディオ: 光デジタル出力 x 1

対応ディスク
    -CD: PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM
    -CD-DA: CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW
    -SACDL: SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD
    -DualDisc: DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
    -DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PLAYSTATION 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video (DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW), Blu-ray Disc (PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE)

quote from http://japan.cnet.com/news/tech/story/0,2000047674,20083574,00.htm

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

leighsword wrote:
    -Bluetoothup to 7)

Yeah I feel unhappy too when I hear my gaming console can have up to seven bluetooth connections at the one time. Wink Can anyone translate the japanese? Or is there an english version of Cnet Japan's article?

Vote one PS3.
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    Sampy

PS3 is confirmed for next year and XBox is slated for November.

• User profile image
    Tensor

It is not always a case of first release wins. Remember Sega - they released Saturn before PS1 and dreamcast before 2, and lost.

If MS wants to win, they need to make XBox 360 cool. And I'm sorry, but having 30 odd year old people do a video saying that the XBOX team are really smart, and that its "gesture is an inhale" just doesn’t cut it. That might make it cool to extreme geeks and some marketers, but that is a fairly marginal amount of cool.

PS goes in to the battle having the dominant brand. This is a position of strength but has some drawbacks. It has got to the stage where the name "playstation" is synonymous with "console" - but then again it got to the stage where the word "hoover" was synonymous with "vacuum cleaner" but these days everybody buys a Dyson.

The way to challenge that level of brand domination is word on the street - be the cool thing - guerrilla cool - the kids have to KNOW that the Xbox is better - they have to sneer at there parents who think all consoles are playstations. That’s how Microsoft win it, but I don’t see that approach been taken.

• User profile image
    rhm

I thought the XBox360 controllers were just unimaginative (just about the only change from XBox appart from the wireless is new shoulder buttons replacing the black and white buttons from before). The proposed PS3 controller is so hillariously bad it must surely be the work of some graphic design intern that was rushed into the presentation at the last minute 9although if it is the real controller it will be equally hillarious to hear the playstation fanboys try and defend it).

Talking of wireless, what's up with that? They cost more to manufacture (Sony and Microsoft's problem not mine admittedly) have to be plugged in to recharge and the batteries have to be replaced periodically. They're a cool idea from the not-having-a-big-long-cable-attached point of view, but in every other respect a pain in the arse. How are the Xbox360 controllers going to charge if there isn't even an option of wired operation? Don't tell me they don't use rechargeable cells as standard because that's going to cost a fortune in batteries with the rumble enabled. Maybe Microsoft did a deal with Rayovac Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Tensor wrote:
    but then again it got to the stage where the word "hoover" was synonymous with "vacuum cleaner" but these days everybody buys a Dyson.

Actually, now I'm getting people say "Dyson" when they mean "vacuum cleaner" so it seems things are shifting already.

• User profile image
    Arran

rhm wrote:
    I thought the XBox360 controllers were just unimaginative (just about the only change from XBox appart from the wireless is new shoulder buttons replacing the black and white buttons from before). The proposed PS3 controller is so hillariously bad it must surely be the work of some graphic design intern that was rushed into the presentation at the last minute 9although if it is the real controller it will be equally hillarious to hear the playstation fanboys try and defend it).

IMHO microsoft got it right the first time with the XBox controller.  It was by far the best that had ever been done (maybe a little big for some hands).

So i like that the 360 has basically the same controller

• User profile image
    reinux

Here's the raw CPU specs side by side:

Xbox 360 PS3 PC
    Processors 3 1 1
    Core architecture PowerPC PowerPC P4 Prescott EE
    Clock frequency 3.2ghz 3.2ghz 3.2
    Concurrent threads 6 8 2
    Vector units 3 8 0
    Cache 1MB 512kb 1MB
    Overall floating point performance 1 Tflops 218 Gflops 3 Gflops

The overall floating point performance issue is what I'm most confused about -- IGN says "2 teraflops system floating point performance", but also says 218 Gflops on the CPU and 1.8 on the GPU -- I wonder if they mean 2 teraflops as in GPU + CPU?

Meanwhile, the only number we have for Xbox is here, which is 1 teraflops.

Anyone have any idea what this is about?

I think Tensor's right. Microsoft's made a lot of effort to market Xbox 360, but not hype it. As far as high school and college kids are concerned, marketing = trying to make money = bad, and hyping = trying to earn money = good. There's a difference.
  • User profile image
    Tensor

Yeah. And the surest way to make somthing uncool is to have old geeks guys in glasses on the font of a magazine telling you its cool.

I admire BillGs ability, I admire the way he likes to be involved in everything, but really, Bill, this one, take your hands off. Find the ten coolest newest ad agencies you can (they probably consist of no one older than 30), and get them to come up with the best campaign ideas they can. Then show them to a school full of kids. The one the kids think is cool - use that one. Throw as much money at it as is needed. Find the kids who form opinions and give them one early. Put one in every place the kids hang out.

Oh, and dont use the word microsoft on it.

I dont particularly care if Xbox or PS wins in the long run - Sony is no better or worse a company than MS. But it seems MS really needs to get is act together on marketing.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

reinux wrote:

Xbox 360 PS3 PC
    Processors 3 1 1
    Core architecture PowerPC PowerPC P4 Prescott EE
    Clock frequency 3.2ghz 3.2ghz 3.2
    Concurrent threads 6 8 2
    Vector units 3 8 0
    Cache 1MB 512kb 1MB
    Overall floating point performance 1 Tflops 218 Gflops 3 Gflop

That's wrong.

Whilst the PS3 uses an IBM chip, it uses the Cell architecture, not the RISC PowerPC set that the XBox360 uses.

Secondly, the PS3 has multiple cores, as does the XBox 360, not processors. The effect is the same but with less heat and space.

• User profile image
    rhm

W3bbo wrote:

That's wrong.

Whilst the PS3 uses an IBM chip, it uses the Cell architecture, not the RISC PowerPC set that the XBox360 uses.

Secondly, the PS3 has multiple cores, as does the XBox 360, not processors. The effect is the same but with less heat and space.

That's about as wrong as anything else I've read on the subject.

• User profile image
    Ian

"I dont particularly care if Xbox or PS wins in the long run - Sony is no better or worse a company than MS. But it seems MS really needs to get is act together on marketing."

These guys look pretty good:

http://www.huhcorp.com/solutions.htm

Smiley

• User profile image
    themaffeo

W3bbo wrote:

Actually, now I'm getting people say "Dyson" when they mean "vacuum cleaner" so it seems things are shifting already.

Whenever I hear "Dyson", I think "Dyson Sphere" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relics_%28Star_Trek%29

My geekiness is off the charts....

Anyway, I wanted to say I thought the xbox marketing has been brilliant. It's mulit-pronged, well executed and at the same time not too pushy.  They premier the xbox on MTV for all the 25 and under crowd, they release a video with "old geeks" (folks, they arn't  old) for the more mature crowd.  They make sure they pre-empt sony, announce backwards compatibility and Final Fantisy games.  I think releasing the specs first is a huge advantage.  I was so overwhelemed by the power of the xbox 360, when sony announces their platform a week later I get the feeling "Oh, I've already seen that..."  It impresses me, but not that much.  A few of the selling points on the PS3 don't seem all that great to me.  Like the ability to have 7 controllers? I don't think that will ever be used.

And Don't forget Xbox Live.  PS3 is trying to jump on the bandwagon but xbox already has a dedicated community that they have built and invested in over the past few years.  I'm not sure if hte xbox360 will be able to overtake the ps3 this time around, but instead of being a distant second, the Xbox 360 is going to give the ps3 a run for its money.

All I know is taht I'm getting the 360 as soon as it comes out.

• User profile image
    Bogusrabin

PS3 game videos - http://www.gametrailers.com

Just _wow_ /amazing / etc.  !!!

( XBox 360 videos above looks _Really_ crappy )

• User profile image
    Bogusrabin
  • User profile image
    Sampy

Killzone 2 vs. Halo 3

Winner: Halo 3

'nuff said Tongue Out

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.