Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

New version of Microsoft Antispyware

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    GurliGebis

I was wandering if anyone know when the next version of Microsoft Antispyware is due?
    The beta from 2/16/2005 is pretty buggy, and I cannot find any info on when another beta/rc/rtm will be out anywhere.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

The Microsoft beta is basically the finished version of GIANT Antispyware, complete with GIANT names for system processes.

I haven't had any problems with this version, personally, though. Works like a charm.

• User profile image
    Manip

The GUI has an unfinished feel to it but the actual application (e.g. scanning, auto-detect etc) works perfectly for me.

• User profile image
    Grumpy

I have a big problem with the beta version and was wondering whether anyone else is experiencing this bizzare problem.  When I receive a popup alert, it flies in at the bottom right of my 1280*1024 screen, the proceeds up to the top and disappears.  This whole process takes about a second or two and it looks like I'm suppose to hit a confirmation button on this flying dialog box.  Now how in the hell are you suppose to hit a button on a moving dialog box?!  Whoever designed a flying dialog box should be seriously flogged.  I have no idea what it says, some of the dialogs are blueish or greenish in color, but they fly by so fast I'm not sure what I can do.  I have looked through the options and don't see anything about animation or turning it off.  Anybody have any suggestions?

Grumpy.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

That's a known bug if you've got your taskbar docked to the left or right of the screen. With the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, the popups stay docked.

• User profile image
    footballism

I've just finished the quick scan,and the spyware scan result dialog freezed,which forced me to close it with taskmgr.exe,dammit!

• User profile image
    GurliGebis

jonathanh wrote:

That's a known bug if you've got your taskbar docked to the left or right of the screen. With the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, the popups stay docked.

Same problem I'm having, the wiki says it's fixed in the next version.
    Thats nice, but if there will be 5-6 months (maybe years, who know) before the next release....

The problem is, that this block a few things, try dobbleclicking a .reg file to import it into the registry, thats not possible the direct way, since you have to click Allow on a popup that off, and stays off the screen.
    These popups spawns as new processes, which means that in a matter of days, there might be 10-20 of them hanging off the top of the screen, each eating about 3-5mb of memory.

Is there a special reason why there hasn't been another beta release in the past 3 months?

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

GurliGebis wrote:

Is there a special reason why there hasn't been another beta release in the past 3 months?

Because they don't think that they're ready for another beta?

This comes up almost daily on the internal "people who are interested in MSAS" email alias.  And the answer keeps coming back "We're not ready yet, give us time".

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Just to give some Kudos, I've been using it since it's beta release and I like it.

My only complaint is that I can't figure out how to tell it to not allow quicktime to add itself to my startup.

Other than that, it works peachy!

Good Job, Guys!

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Looks like I'm the only one who has a problem with AS. For some reason I can't see the main user interface. Only the top menu and the application logo are visible.
    I can still update the definitions, but running a spyware scan is not possible, the only thing I see is that blue background.
    And the error.log file is full of ... errors.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Last I checked, it was also utterly useless in a multi-user account setup, and especially so if one of those is a limited account.

• User profile image
    daSmirnov

On my Tablet when using voice I get an extra icon for it in the system tray with each command I give to the system.

Other then that and the UI needing some work (those menus) I like it.

• User profile image
    GurliGebis

This will indeed be a great product once those few bugs have been sorted out, at least the "flying toast" bug is causing several people I know problems, including myself.

• User profile image
    MurphyB2005

No complaints here, excep for that it detects things that are not spyware such as some useful IE Toolbars i have installed...(ie. Chipmark)

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.