Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Open Source question

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    erik_

I am thinking of starting a small company as a student to make some extra money and get some more experience on that area. But I was wondering if it is allowed to create closed source commercial software with tools like eclipse?

Since I am not making modifications to the source, just use it to make something else. From what I understand I can't modify a open source project and resell it, but what about making something else with it.

I just can't put a lot of money in the company and buying tools like visual studio or macromedia flash isn't that cheap. I don't got that money yet, so need to find some other way to make money first before I can start buying those tools.

Does anyone got any good links about this or maby knows if it is allowed or not allowed?

Thanks in Advance and sorry for my bad english =)

• User profile image
    Steve411

Check the GNU license and contact the owner of the source code if you can use it in your projects. If he says no get a part time job or do some coding projects on http://www.rentacoder.com to make some quick cash. Also, you can re-write the source Wink.

Don't listen to me;
    - Steve

• User profile image
    figuerres

erik_ wrote:
    I am thinking of starting a small company as a student to make some extra money and get some more experience on that area. But I was wondering if it is allowed to create closed source commercial software with tools like eclipse?

Since I am not making modifications to the source, just use it to make something else. From what I understand I can't modify a open source project and resell it, but what about making something else with it.

I just can't put a lot of money in the company and buying tools like visual studio or macromedia flash isn't that cheap. I don't got that money yet, so need to find some other way to make money first before I can start buying those tools.

Does anyone got any good links about this or maby knows if it is allowed or not allowed?

Thanks in Advance and sorry for my bad english =)

depending on what you want to do if you would like to use MSFT tools and such you may want to look at the microsoft partner web site https://partner.microsoft.com/isv/

I don't know how it will translate cost wise but when I joined I got MSDN for about $350.00 USD compared to "retail" that was about $2,400.00 USD
    this includes help in marketing and testing
    you are not "bound" by the program to make a sale --
    it's a "startup" program wher you just agree to "try and make it"

if your interested check out the site and find the local price etc...

• User profile image
    scotartt

erik_ wrote:

The answer to this question is very simple. YES. The tool is meant to be used for such endeavours.  If you look at the GPL, (eclipse is not GPL) it's about derivative, or linked,  software, and a tool like Eclipse, doesn't mean you need Eclipse to run the resultant software you built.

Even if you did many open source licences allow you to do that. Look at Apache stuff like the httpd and Ant. It is embedded in many commercial softwares, like for example  Websphere, which ships with the IBM HTTP service (i.e. Apache HTTPD), and their non-open source Eclipse extension WSAD (Websphere Studio Application Developer), whcih includes Ant as part of the base Eclipse package. I don't see IBM open sourcing Websphere or the non-Eclipse portions of WSAD.

• User profile image
    erik_

Thanks all, for the information. It a lot more clear to me now. Gonna start with creating some flash "applications" with MTASC actionscript compiler so I will be hopefully able to get the money of the company registration at goverment back fast =)

Also gonna read the GPL licence instead of google'n on "create closed source with open source software", the search query gave me all open vs. closed source compare pages.

Figuerres: that looks very interesting, me gonna read all the information on that website. This can be very usefull for my near future.

Again, Thanks All

• User profile image
    SorinD

Hello,

If you have a nice software development project in your mind and want to start up a company and do the work on Microsoft technologies, note that there is a Microsoft program just for you (the start-up companies): Microsoft Empower for ISVs. After registering to this program (being accepted is only a matter of having the company ready to start and pay a fee), you can use any MSDN Universal-available software internally at your company on as many as 5 workstations and 1 server, for the next 1 year. The fee is pretty small (depending on your contry it may vary - its 420 Euro here) and you only need to define your plans for your product so that Microsoft is aware on your company direction. You need to finish the product in the first year. After that you can probably sell the product and make money and then register to the Microsoft Certified Program after you grow.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.