Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Avalon and Indigo beta 1 RC

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Charles

Avalon and Indigo Beta 1 RC is live.

Play hard.

C

• User profile image
    CplCarrot

Yes!! Virtual PC standby for a hammering!

• User profile image
    rhm

I almost completed the download before the news spread and the connection speed dropped to almost zero. Oh well, I can wait a few more days until the download rush dies down.

Unless someone wants to seed a torrent Smiley

• User profile image
    CplCarrot

rhm wrote:
    I almost completed the download before the news spread and the connection speed dropped to almost zero. Oh well, I can wait a few more days until the download rush dies down.

Unless someone wants to seed a torrent

Would if I could but I have no idea how.
    Drop me an email and we can work something out.Or MSN me address in the profile

• User profile image
    dmarsh

I've started documenting some of the changes to the Avalon APIs between the March CTP and the May Beta 1 RC. The list is brief and only includes the major ones for now, but I'll continue to update it as I learn more. The intention of this list is to hold people over until Microsoft posts an official list of their own.

Cheers,
    Drew

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I could set up a torrent, but the EULA forbids me to "publish the software for others to copy".

• User profile image
    Maurits

One problem with torrents is they can also be used to spread hacked versions of applications.

A standard common way to fix this problem is for the publisher (Microsoft, in this case) to list digests of the official version on their site.  This digest could be an MD5 checksum or a detached PGP signature or whatever is most appropriate for the particular publisher and clients.

• User profile image
    staceyw

Cool.  Been waiting for this.  Anyone know what the plan is to allow hosting Indigo inside SQL CLR?  Or, for that matter, if client ref to Indigo lib inside SQL CLR so you can at least talk to other services inside function/sp.  TIA

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Sven Groot wrote:
    I could set up a torrent, but the EULA forbids me to "publish the software for others to copy".

Don't agree to the EULA then Smiley Anyone got a BitTorrent now?

I'd love to test this out, but I'm on dialup...
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    Steve411

"Dont agree to the EULA"?
    DONT LISTEN TO THE EULA! Publish as your heart wishes!

• User profile image
    TomasDeml

Hi!
    The setup is about to download 13 MB from the net, is this size final or not?
    I doubt that Avalon and Indigo are so small...

Thanks.

• User profile image
    TomasDeml

TomasDeml wrote:
    Hi!
    The setup is about to download 13 MB from the net, is this size final or not?
    I doubt that Avalon and Indigo are so small...

Thanks.

No, the size is about 200-300 MB... Smiley

• User profile image
    AQ

I can't keep up with this pace...I'm still not done 'experimenting' with beta2 and april mdx...

Does anyone know of any live Indigo demos?

• User profile image
    jonm

Okay,

I've got the Indigo+Avalon Beta1 RC downloaded and installed on my Windows 2003 x64 box.  Now what? I can't find any documentation on my hard drive or the CD.  I cannot find any examples or any new project types in my Visual Studio 2005 beta 2.  Any ideas here?

• User profile image
    Lazycoder2

Charles wrote:
    Avalon and Indigo Beta 1 RC is live.

C

What is a "Beta 1 RC"? A beta of the Release Candidate? Or a true Release Candidate? Can we expect an Alpha Gold release anytime soon? Maybe a Code Complete RTM?

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

No, it's a release candidate of the beta!

• User profile image
    ezu

Well, i've made the same... and in VS2005B2 nothing, no templates for avalon.

I think that depends on the fact that the link is for the "runtime" only. You must download the SDK ISO file for VS integration, i suppose (i'm doing it right now).

Here's the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?u=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.microsoft.com%2Fdownload%2F5%2F4%2F0%2F5407D6E4-740E-413E-8E91-EF7AC53A478A%2Fen_winfx_sdk_beta1_RC.iso&na=44&p=0&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=b789bc8d-4f25-4823-b6aa-c5edf432d0c1&genscs==

• User profile image
    TheTodd

Charles,
    There have been too many terms thrown around on what this is. I've seen it called a CTP, a Beta, and a Release Candidate. Could you shed some light on what it is?

1) Is it Beta 1 of a Release Candidate? Although I guess the order of terms would be RC Beta 1 in that case...

2) Is it a Release Candidate of Beta 1? Implying that beta 1 is coming sometime probably later this summer.

3) Is it a Beta 1/Release Candidate? Implying that the next release could be gold if no major problems are found, but if there are the next release will be beta 2.

Also, have you finalized the location to be <Windows Directory>\Microsoft.NET\Windows. and are the file names final (e.g. System.Speech will always be found in Speech.dll not System.Speech.dll?)

TIA

Todd

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.