Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Monad to make first appearance in Windows Server 2003 R2 - says Analyst

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    androidi

Some analyst estimates that Monad would ship in Windows Server 2003 R2.. Does NetCraft confirm?

--

http://www.longhornblogs.com/robert/archive/2005/05/25/14112.aspx

I don't know if this had been talked about yet, but I just found out in an IIS7 webcast that Monad is not currently slated to be shipped in Longhorn. More on this as it becomes available.

I'd certainly like to hear some of the "blocking" reasons behind this decision (if its for certain).

Kinda mixed feelings about this, how will young new future Windows enthuasists/professionals be introduced to power of the prompt if its only as separate download or in the Server version. I was kinda planning to learn this and awe some friends at their LHs of my l33t Monad sk1lz. Guess not.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

androidi wrote:
    http://www.longhornblogs.com/robert/archive/2005/05/25/14112.aspx

I don't know if this had been talked about yet, but I just found out in an IIS7 webcast that Monad is not currently slated to be shipped in Longhorn. More on this as it becomes available.

I'd certainly like to hear some of the "blocking" reasons behind this decision (if its for certain).

Kinda mixed feelings about this, how will young new future Windows enthuasists/professionals be introduced to power of the prompt if its only as separate download or in the Server version. I was kinda planning to learn this and awe some friends at their LHs of my l33t Monad sk1lz. Guess not.

if( story.isTrue() ) {
      me.setSad(true);
    }

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

if( story.isTrue() ) {
      me.setSad(true);
    }

This looks suspiciously Java-like. In C#, I would write it like this:
    if (story.IsTrue) {
       me.Sad = true;
    }

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

TommyCarlier wrote:

This looks suspiciously Java-like. In C#, I would write it like this:
    if (story.IsTrue) {
       me.Sad = true;
    }

Well, since "object.IsTrue" probably is a function it would be:

if (story.IsTrue()) {
       me.Sad = true;
    }

Tongue Out

• User profile image
    geekling

But in .NET, properties can hide the fuglies of a method like that, so the first example - story.IsTrue - is the correct
    C#/Boo/.NET idiom.

I would write it like this in Boo:

me.Sad = true if story.IsTrue

Or, simplier:
    me.Sad = story.IsTrue // =D

Oops. I think we got off topic.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Truly a shame.  The most exciting power user feature is MSH

• User profile image
    Maurits

Why does it have to be part of the OS? Just make it a free download and I'll be happy.

• User profile image
    TimP

Where can you get the Monad beta bits? I signed up on a MS beta site a few months ago and they said they would I would be "receiving an e-mail shortly" but months later it still hasn't arrived. Also, does MS have any sort of SDK or developer info site on MSDN for Monad? I remember seeing a demo on C9 which discussed how Monad command line apps extend from a common .NET base class.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

TimP wrote:
    Where can you get the Monad beta bits? I signed up on a MS beta site a few months ago and they said they would I would be "receiving an e-mail shortly" but months later it still hasn't arrived. Also, does MS have any sort of SDK or developer info site on MSDN for Monad? I remember seeing a demo on C9 which discussed how Monad command line apps extend from a common .NET base class.

Send me your e-mail address and i will put it up for you to download.

• User profile image
    BryanF

Maybe this has something to with it? If that's the case, no complaints here.

Smiley

Otherwise...

Sad

EDIT: The OP's link doesn't seem to be working right now. Perhaps it was retracted?

EDIT: I'm glad the link offers some hope, but I'm still cautious. The information seems to come not from a Microsoft employee, but an "industry analyst", and those people are basically astrologists in pinstripes.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Or just use the "mshPDC" guest ID on Betaplace. It was always a public ID, and should still work.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.