Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

MS Shared Source CLI

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    darklotus

I just downloaded the Shared Source CLI from Microsoft and compiled it and was messing around with it. Its pretty cool and allows C# on Unix and Mac. BUT... Its version 1.0, here we are close to version 2.0 of the .NET Framework. Will the SS CLI be updated or are people who use it going to be stuck with version 1.0? I was just curious to know if the project is going to last and keep going or if the one thats posted will be the one and only.  

• User profile image
    jonathanh

The CLI was actually used as a test-bed for some of the forthcoming features in v2.0.  For example, generics were first released as a patch to the CLI (search for "Gyro" on research.microsoft.com). 

And yes, I'm pretty sure that it's being updated to match the official v2.0 release - I've seen a (blog? email?) post from one of the guys responsible within the last couple of months.

• User profile image
    darklotus

Thank you for the info, i am so glad to see it will continue to be updated along with the framework.

• User profile image
    BradA

Joel, gives us some hints in his blog...
    http://blogs.msdn.com/joelpob/archive/2004/05/05/126837.aspx 

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.