Coffeehouse Thread

33 posts

Windows Media Player 11: "Early 2006"

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    footballism

neowin.net wrote:

Windows enthusiast and journalist Paul Thurrott has just posted some new information concerning Windows Media Player 11. Microsoft intends to release WMP11 (Codename: Polaris) as an XP compatible version of the Windows Longhorn media player.

Microsoft's original plans for Windows Media Player (WMP) 11-- formerly code-named Aurora--were fairly low-key, with just a few minor new features. That's all changed: Microsoft has canceled Aurora, and the company is moving the Longhorn media player to XP. Now code-named Polaris, WMP 11 will be a major release. There's just one problem: Instead of shipping in November, as per the original plan, WMP 11 will now ship in a public beta during that month, coinciding with Longhorn Beta 2. The final release is roughly scheduled for early 2006.

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

That is sweet. I don't mind it being released later since it's all about the extra features, right? Wink
    I hope it has some features like ad removal (well they aren't much for ads but those litle icons linking to places where I can buy music) I can't think of any good features right now, but I hope they remove the ability of WMAs to be coded to permenatly change the language of WMP.

I vote 10 out of 10 to Microsoft for this.
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    ACT10Npack

Hopfully they will release wma/v 10 or 11 codec with WMP11.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

footballism wrote:
       MPEG-4 namely DVD playback-This is what I expect from the upcoming WMP11.

DVD playback is MPEG2 Smiley

• User profile image
    footballism

MPEG-2 namely DVD playback-This is what I expect from the upcoming WMP11.

• User profile image
    footballism

PaoloM wrote:
    footballism wrote:    MPEG-4 namely DVD playback-This is what I expect from the upcoming WMP11.

DVD playback is MPEG2

I'm an error-prone geek:)

• User profile image
    IanD

'hope they fix the large library problem Windows Media Center uses wmp for its music library and it's very slow on large "bays Ian

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

footballism wrote:
       MPEG-2 namely DVD playback-This is what I expect from the upcoming WMP11.
    Unlikely, because DVD software player companies would go ape(I need to watch my language) over that, and more lawsuits against MS would happen.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I hope we will get a WMP that is completely removable from a Windows Server system.

• User profile image
    Jaz

Tom Servo wrote:
    footballism wrote:    MPEG-2 namely DVD playback-This is what I expect from the upcoming WMP11.
    Unlikely, because DVD software player companies would go ape(I need to watch my language) over that, and more lawsuits against MS would happen.

MS would have to pay a license fee to phillips or panasonic, i forget who, to include native DVD decoding.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Jaz wrote:
    MS would have to pay a license fee to phillips or panasonic, i forget who, to include native DVD decoding.
    So what? They do the same for MP3 encoding.

• User profile image
    Jaz

mp3 encoding probably costs less

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Microsoft isn't going to lose money by including it.

• User profile image
    Jaz

of course it will.

if the market doesn't require it, and it costs microsoft $20 per WMP then they're losing money

• User profile image
    ZippyV

The market does require it.
    I doubt that it's going to cost 20$ per WMP. Don't forget that WMP is included with Windows, is MS losing money on Windows?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Jaz wrote:

mp3 encoding probably costs less

WMP10 already includes an MP3 Ripping codec, but it is horrid. I use the Intervideo system instead, plus I also get DVD playback to boot.

• User profile image
    Jaz

MS own WMP so they're not losing money, they're kinda making money in a sense, but not really.

http://www.dvdreview.com/faq/dvdfaq.shtml#6.1

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Jaz wrote:

Doesn't matter. People will start this antitrust crap again, because Cyberlink, Intervideo and whoever else is left, will make losses because their sales are impacted by this.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.