Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Curious about Microsoft's Email Culture?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jeffsand

Ever wonder about Microsoft's Email culture? 

We recently posted an email discussion we had as a team talking about broadening our sites scope, the quality of content and frequency of posting. 

Its interesting to look at the time stamps of the replies as you read the thread

• User profile image
    miies

Reading it now. I'm curious, do any of you guys use (or even know) IRC? My company has used a private IRC channel for years as the main communication medium, and it works pretty fine, even more direct than e-mail.

• User profile image
    Neil

miies wrote:
    Reading it now. I'm curious, do any of you guys use (or even know) IRC? My company has used a private IRC channel for years as the main communication medium, and it works pretty fine, even more direct than e-mail.

Not IRC, but a ton of IM conversations. There's more than 120 people in my IM buddy list and it's used quite a bit to have conversations.

Neil

• User profile image
    jeffsand

Neil wrote:
    Not IRC, but a ton of IM conversations.

We use instant message a lot on our team as well.  It works great.  Often though email discussions like the ones referenced in this thread turn into rapid fire discussions.  (Check out the time stamps on many of the messages in that thread)

• User profile image
    samdruk

IRC does have the advantage of being wide distribution (generally wider than the customary 1-1 of IM). Store and forward is key to bringing folks into the discussion later, however. (yes, I work with a remote team 2 timezones away regularly.)

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.