Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why computers sometime..... crash..

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Steve411

Why Computers Sometimes Crash! by Dr. Seuss.

(Read this to yourself aloud - it's great!)
    If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port, and the
    bus is interrupted at a very last resort, and the access of the
    memory makes your floppy disk abort, then the socket
    packet pocket has an error to report.

If your cursor finds a menu item followed by a dash, and
    the double-clicking icon puts your window in the trash, and
    your data is corrupted cause the index doesn't hash, then your situation's
    hopeless and your system's gonna crash!

If the label on the cable on the table at your house,
    says the network is connected to the button on your mouse, but your
    packets want to tunnel to another protocol, that's
    repeatedly rejected by the printer down the hall.

And your screen is all distorted by the side effects of gauss, so
    your icons in the window are as wavy as a souse; then you
    may as well reboot and go out with a bang, 'cuz sure as I'm a poet,the
    sucker's gonna hang.

When the copy on your floppy's getting sloppy in the
    disk, and the macro code instructions is causing unnecessary risk,
    then you'll have to flash the memory and you'll want to
    RAM your ROM, and then quickly turn off the computer and be sure to tell your Mom!

Well, that certainly clears things up for me. How about
    you? Thank you, Bill Gates, for bringing all this into our lives

• User profile image
    Charles

Complex operating systems like life forms evolve and many hard problems are still left to solve. Sure there were snares in those days that were DOS, but sometimes not everything can be blamed on the boss.

Charles

• User profile image
    JParrish

I second the thanks to Bill Gates, albeit in an earnest sense. I also thank anyone and everyone that has contributed to what we know of today as technology. It has created one of the most diverse fields of work the world has ever seen, and I will spend all of my days trying to be a part of it. </sap>

Thats been around for a long time (internet time).. I remember reading this about 5 years ago.

• User profile image
    Steve411

JParrish wrote:
    I second the thanks to Bill Gates, albeit in an earnest sense. I also thank anyone and everyone that has contributed to what we know of today as technology. It has created one of the most diverse fields of work the world has ever seen, and I will spend all of my days trying to be a part of it. </sap>

Thats been around for a long time (internet time).. I remember reading this about 5 years ago.

I just saw it a while ago and it gave me a pretty good laugh, and no i was not blaming the boss...

• User profile image
    Charles

Steve411,

Boss came to mind first when trying to rhyme DOS. It was not based on interpretation of content. My apologies.

Charles

• User profile image
    eagle

Bad drivers cause most crashes.  Device drivers thrown together by God knows who and third class motherboards used by Dell and other PC mass producers have crippled our productivity.  

• User profile image
    Jaz

/me pats my self built, if not a little old, PC

• User profile image
    Charles

eagle wrote:
    Bad drivers cause most crashes.  Device drivers thrown together by God knows who and third class motherboards used by Dell and other PC mass producers have crippled our productivity.  

Part of the problem with kernel mode driver development is that the developer tools have been sorely lacking. With the WDF, this will change. We are going to make it easier for this class of engineer to build better device drivers.

Further down the road in Longhorn, we will make it much easier to debug crashes allowing for quicker fixes. There's some really good thinking going on in the Windows Reliability team around crash prevention and interpretation. Stand by.

Charles

• User profile image
    Manip

Not to mention the entire system will BSOD for everything and anything.. Personally I prefer some kind of Driver execution break than just shutting down.

• User profile image
    Steve411

Charles wrote:
    Steve411,

Boss came to mind first when trying to rhyme DOS. It was not based on interpretation of content. My apologies.

Charles

No problem, i understood you wrong.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Bad or improperly installed hardware causes crashes.

By the way, regarding reliability, why not make a system diagnostic program that can check file versions of the vital system file to make sure that they are the latest avaliable from Microsoft (make sure that it verfies that they are not corrupted; yes, I know the SFC does that but having an all in one tool would make things easier), check for bad configurations, known registry settings that could cause problems, etc? I'm sure if it were developed well enough, it could find issues with computers and either fix them or say how to fix them.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.