Coffeehouse Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Wet dream

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    androidi

I was reading around 400 posts of what people think of how space travel works in EVE Exodus Online (Gates "pirates camping", insta-bookmarks "jumpdrive") and then figured I'd write down how (if ever) I'd go doing it.

As coding little games with .NET and MDX or even Avalon gets more feasible I figure I may eventually attempt this unless someone does it better first (SC2/UQM is pretty close to this but its already 15 years old and the multiplayer is only for the battles not the galaxy).

So let me present the design draft v 0.0 which I came up with while taking a shower. - "The wet dream" Smiley

Codename Code Trek wrote:

This is going to be Trek style with a few twists…

Physics & Navigation

Light speed would be very much higher – allowing to travel from edge of a galaxy to the opposite edge in perhaps several hours at the “game light speed” and the faster your ship moves, the further away is this movement seen. Think of your bath tub being the galaxy and fast/stronger movement causes bigger waves that are felt at further distance. These waves of course dissipate – the farther away the enemy ship is, the less frequently your ship is seen on the enemy radar/map and the waves would get more distorted by the stars and anomalies in-between making it harder to tell where the enemy is actually going. edit: No this is not a submarine game in a bath tub. Why did I even think of that.

Of course with high speeds there’s a risk of running into a star or whatever. The navigation computer code must be smart. Perhaps players can code their own sensor/navigation algorithms? You don’t have to pilot your ship by hand if your code is good enough to find to meet the enemy ship by looking at how it’s moving.

State

Your ship is always in the universe and never “quits”. If you quit while moving, the movement will continue of course. However if your ship shut down its engines and other emissions, due to the effects mentioned above no one would find you from the vastness of space. Perhaps the shape of your ship would also affect how well it would be trackable on enemy systems.

Content

Players create content such as the ship being used. Due to long distances in space the graphics/models etc won’t be transferred between peers until close proximity.

Game play

Most of the game would likely happen in some sort of galaxy representation so you can see the opponents movements (remember the faster they move the farther they are seen). When encountering suns, planets, ship, anomalies etc there would be another view with different functionalities. (see sc2.sf.net)

Encounters

Several players could form a fleet by having a code to synch their vectors. One player would be the fleet commander and others could go grab a beer. When battle occurs, the players away from the game would have their ships either get commands from the commander of the fleet or ran by the computer.

Idea: The more details the ship model has the stronger its weapons are relative to the other player with less detailed ship. However when battle occurs the faster you can upload your model and ship data to the opponents computer, the faster you get to the battle. So a less detailed “small” ship will get to pound the opponent’s (bigger ship with stronger weapons) a good while if it happens the enemy ship takes minutes or hours to  be uploaded to your computer.

Idea: Suppose you have coded a good battle/sensor algorithms etc – perhaps the enemy ship computer can send you a piece of code to grab/steal your code during the battle or something to that effect.

... And now off to hope that Will Wrigth's Spore grabs some of these ideas into its universe simulation ...

Besides Spore, E4, X3 there are couple other interesting game developments going on. One of those is "Infinity".

• User profile image
    Dr. Shim

Is this an idea for a game you had? I've been considering something simulare, if that's the case. However, I don't know how appealing it sounds to be travling in space for several hours. Is that "hours" in game time, or hours in actual time?

• User profile image
    jmiller76

Have you seen Vega Strike Cool GPL Wingcommander Privateer Spinoff.  oh, and multi platform.

They handle deep space with a SPEC drive.  It manages speed relative to large gravitational objects.  You travel slow when near a planet or space station and fast in open space.  This allows you to fly right at a sun, at mega speed and still be forced to slow down before hitting it based on in game physics. 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.