Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

.NET and ColdFusion MX

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    JParrish

In case there are any ColdFusion MX developers on here, I wanted to throw out the fact that this months ColdFusion Developers Journal has an article on CFMX calling into a .NET assembly by way of COM interop. Full disclosure: I co-authored the article, but after talking to some friends about posting it here, they thought the possible benefit to others would outway the zealous appearance of pointing to my own work!

image of this month's CFDJ cover

(note this link is time sensitive to month of May 2004)

• User profile image
    themaffeo

Hmmm.  Interesting. 

It's almost enough to have me subscribe to the issue.  My current job has me developing almost exclusivly in coldfusion (shudder) and it would be interesting to see how complex the process is to call through the com interop as opposed to accessing the .net component through a cfc and a web service.

Since you obviously use cf, i'd be interested in hearing your thoughts to its continued viability.  From my experience with it It doesn't seem to have many compelling selling points against other web technologies - then again, maybe we're underutilizing it.

• User profile image
    clint_hill

Sweet. I'm not a CF fan, but used it back in the 4.5 days.

Do you get published often?

• User profile image
    JParrish

themaffeo wrote:
    it would be interesting to see how complex the process is to call through the com interop as opposed to accessing the .net component through a cfc and a web service.

We are working now on the next article, this was a two part article on the subject of calling .NET assemblies from ColdFusion MX. The next article will focus on web services, and also a product called Black Knight which allows .NET assemblies to be called from CFML natively.

themaffeo wrote:
    Since you obviously use cf, i'd be interested in hearing your thoughts to its continued viability.  From my experience with it It doesn't seem to have many compelling selling points against other web technologies - then again, maybe we're underutilizing it.

I actually don't use CF much myself. Before .NET my organization used CF almost exclusively. At the time I was working with ASP, and when I moved to .NET I wanted to try and expose the benefits of the components I was building to the ColdFusion developers, and that is how this subject got bridged.

As far as the viability of ColdFusion, it seems to me that Macromedia has a fairly loyal base that will continue using it. I don't know of any other developers that are dropping other technologies in favor of CF, but I may have limited exposure in that regard.

• User profile image
    themaffeo

JParrish wrote:

As far as the viability of ColdFusion, it seems to me that Macromedia has a fairly loyal base that will continue using it. I don't know of any other developers that are dropping other technologies in favor of CF, but I may have limited exposure in that regard.

My feelings too.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.