Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Page refresh on C9

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

it seems to just refresh every few minutes or so..
    be cool if it refreshed when there was a new post ...
    ..per section if poss..

* i have it open on my third eye..er - i mean monitor most of the time..

it auto refreshes but theres no new post..
    ( coffee shop is homepg)

does the refresh work with items posted anywhere?
    or is it just random?

( theres no ads - so is there a reason for the refresh..?)

• User profile image
    Charles

Good questions. Currently, the refresh implementation is just a META refresh tag on each page... We are thinking of removing it altogether as in some cases it causes the loss of page state which can be annoying.

It would be nice to refresh when something new and related to your current place happens. One problem with polling, however, is that it necessarily requires a trip from the client to ASP.NET to SQL in order to know. This would negatively impact overall site performance.

Charles

• User profile image
    jamie

actaully i dont mind the refresh..just wish there was more of a point to it...

i can see how it could bug some people as well..

• User profile image
    Charles

Actually, we could get around the trip to SQL, but we would still need to talk to ASP.NET.

Charles

• User profile image
    miies

I think it's annoying too. If I'm reading unread posts on page 2 (3,4,5..) of a forum, I'll open up every post I want to read in a new window. After a while, the main window refreshes, and that would be convenient to refresh the read/unread icons, but... it refreshes back to page 1, and not to the page I'm currently on. Just remove it, please.

• User profile image
    Charles

Removed. You should see this when we ship an update either today or tomorrow. Bryn and I have been busy fixing bugs. Thanks to all for submitting them!

Charles

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.