70 posts

How to enter the Code'n my way to PDC Contest

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • jeffsand

WE ARE PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THE WINNERS:

PDC05 Interact for Outlook 2003

and

cameraFlow Labryinth

Thank you to everyone for your very creative entries and best of luck with your applications!

Write some code with Beta 2 of Visual Studio 2005, put the Shareware Starter Kit Beta through its paces and just maybe you’ll win a $1000 airfare voucher, hotel accomodations and tickets to attend PDC05.

The Shareware Starter Kit is a sample application that implements the common features in shareware applications. The Shareware Starter Kit includes sample components that show integrated e-commerce using PayPal, secure product activation, product registration, error reporting, and more using Web services.

In order to enter this contest you will need to build an application using Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 and a beta of the Shareware Starter Kit and submit them to Channel 9.

Don't have beta 2 of Visual Studio 2005?
    Instructions on how to get it are available here

Need the Shareware Starter Kit Beta?
    We have that for you in C# and VB.NET versions.

How do you enter?
    Once you’ve built your killer app, return to Channel 9 and visit the Shareware Contest Forum and select new topic. Just follow the instructions on the form submitting the binaries of your application in the form of a zip file along with a a screenshot of your application.

For an example of a properly packaged submission, you can download a zip file containing the SimpleExplorer sample application that comes with the starter kit, from here.

We will be accepting entries until August 12, 2005 and the winners will be announce on Monday, August 15th, 2005.

For more information please review the official contest rules.

Good luck and happy coding!
    -Jeff

• Ian

Cool!

• dahat

What is the policy on applications that rely on external applications or hardware? Say... a person makes a game that absolutely requires (for whatever reason) a joystick, or another application that requires an mp3 player, webcam or something even more obscure (LCD panel, gps, etc)?

Also, is it safe to assume that any judging will be done on Windows XP machines?

• jeffsand

dahat wrote:
    What is the policy on applications that rely on external applications or hardware? Say... a person makes a game that absolutely requires (for whatever reason) a joystick, or another application that requires an mp3 player, webcam or something even more obscure (LCD panel, gps, etc)?

Also, is it safe to assume that any judging will be done on Windows XP machines?

The judging panel will test the applications on Windows XP. As far as 3rd party applications as long as you are operate within the appropriate terms specified by the 3rd party application and we're not prevented from trying out your application then its fine.

• Vipul

where is my keyboard?

• Steve411

I actually have a finished project in .net 2.0. I could so win this. BUt I wouldn't be able to go.

• Loadsgood

Steve411 wrote:

I actually have a finished project in .net 2.0. I could so win this. BUt I wouldn't be able to go.

Sell your code to the highest bidder! Wink

I might as well whack something up just for fun Smiley

This'll be fun.
    Loadsgood.

• AIM48

Does the SWSK work on the express edditions?

• Michael Lehman

No, the SSK requires any version above Express.

Both the SSK and VS2005 are both freely available for D/L.

Visual Studio is available here
    The SSK is available here for C# and here for VB

• AIM48

As far as I can tell VS2005 is only avialable for DL thru msdn - I am not a msdn member.
    You can also order it - in DVD format ,unfortanatlly I do not have A DVD drive. Sad

Oh well....

• gaelhatchue

Damm it...
    Why is it required that contestants are at least 21 years of age? I am 2 years younger and wanted so bad  to enter the coding contest.
    I guess I will have to wait 2 years and hope that there is another one...

• Tom Servo

Are we required to use that Shareware Starter Kit? Or does freeware work, too?

--edit: Is it possible to use Avalon for UI business?

• Robowho?

So, how about some flair for the coding contest to put up on our websites, product about boxes and splash screens?

• Michael Lehman

The admission requirements for PDC are 21 and up so we were obliged to use the same requirements for the contest.

• Michael Lehman

Yes, the contest requires that you use the starter kit.  The starter kit is a collection of classes (and a web service) that help you manage registration and payment. 

Unfortunately, the Avalon bits are currently in a not-for-commercial-use status so they cannot be distributed as part of a shareware application yet.

• Robowho?

I wonder how much we can stretch the rules.

What if we used the shareware kit, but used it to collect payments for a charity, hence make it donationware, hence non-commercial.

Or something else. Excluding Avalon products from the contest doesn't match with the spirit of the contest, which is to use latest technologies, no?

• amotif

jeffsand wrote:

The judging panel will test the applications on Windows XP.

Does the contest (or starter kit's capabilities) specifically preclude the submission of mobile apps?

• CareBear

What kind of source code licenses are approved in the submissions? There is a description in the rules but it's a bit vague for me to understand completely.

Is the CPL (Common Public License) a good alternative? It is the same as WiX (Windows Installer XML Toolkit) and I've been using it for previous projects.

Regards,
    Sondre

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.