Coffeehouse Thread

70 posts

How to enter the Code'n my way to PDC Contest

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • CareBear

Customization of the Shareware Kit:

To what level can we customize the Shareware Kit itself. Mostly interrested in the graphical changes.

It looks a bit weird that the splashscreen says "Shareware Starter Kit" and then my application loads which have a very different UI.

Are all changes allowed except changes to the Web Service/Licensing mechanism?

Regards,
    Sondre

• briant

I believe customizing the look and feel of the SSK should be recommended.  It's designed in such a fashion that the UI layer is abstracted from the helper classes handling all the licensing and web service functionality.  It should be easy to replace the background images in the provided forms to customize the color scheme and layout.

In my opinion, as long as the SSK is used for the base functionality customize away!

• Michael Lehman

The source code license is up to you...however...do not include source code in your submission! 

Binaries only plus a screen shot.
    We'll be posting a sample submission zip shortly.

• Michael Lehman

Customize away! 

Any changes that don't change the existing API to the class library and/or the messages sent/to from the web service are at your discretion. 

You are welcome to add your own API calls as long as you don't ask us to debug them Wink

Note that we will need to test your submission on a out-of-the-box Windows XP and VS2005 B2 configuration.

• Michael Lehman

We must be able to test the app on an out-of-the-box Windows XP (SP2) plus Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 configuration.  If your app can be run (somehow) in that config... go for it. 

We will not be setting up any enhancements, external devices, or installing anything other than your app as part of the testing process.

• Michael Lehman

The issue is not just the "commercial" aspect. 

The existing code licenses for pre-release technology, especially before Beta 2, of developer products restrict "redistribution".  So you could build an app but you won't have a license to distribute it until you're issued either a "go-live" licence, which is provided sometimes at Beta 2, or the product RTMs.

So yes, it's about "latest technologies" but in this case "latest redistributable technologies" which excludes Avalon and Indigo (for now).

Obviously we share your enthusiasm and are looking forward to the day when Avalon and Indigo apps can be built on top of the SSK!

• Robowho?

Can we assume that this test PC will have an internet connection and our applications will be authorized to access the internet through the firewall?

Maybe it would clear things up if some specs were to be determined so we know what resources would be available to the apps. Yes, internet access is probably a no-brainer, but I am sure there are other less obvious resources that some developers might be counting on.

One more good thing to know would also be whether the apps could expect to be run under Admin privileges if needed, or limited user only.

Stuff like that.

• dbates

Can the application be packaged in a MSI, rather than a collection of binaries and assemblies.

The MSI could be zipped up with a screen shot?

• danv303

How complete are you expecting the entries to be?  I think I can get my project into a polished beta state - mostly usable but some rough edges.  I expect to be starting the beta testing phase when around the due date - would it reflect badly on my submission?

• Michael Lehman

Obviously the better it works, the better we'll think it is... however, given that the contest is only about 60 days long I expect we'll be looking at pretty much all beta-level software Smiley... so no worries!

• Michael McCarthy

Any way of getting vs2005 beta without having to be an MSDN subscriber or having it sent to you via some sort of message in a bottle, aka snail-mail?

thankee... Wink

• Eran

Can I assume that the out of the box XP SP2 machine that you will test the application will have an NTFS file system? (its the default for XP)

• jcfiala

Michael McCarthy wrote:

Any way of getting vs2005 beta without having to be an MSDN subscriber or having it sent to you via some sort of message in a bottle, aka snail-mail?

Well, if there's a '2005 Betas Unleashed' event in your area, you can show up and attend that and they'll give you a copy in person.  (and it's not a bad idea in general).

John Fiala

• dahat

UltraGuy wrote:
    We will not be setting up any enhancements, external devices, or installing anything other than your app as part of the testing process.

Nooo! Mine will require a webcam... well... I think I can simulate one of those easily enough.

• Michael Lehman

Can I assume that the out of the box XP SP2 machine that you will test the application will have an NTFS file system? (its the default for XP)

Yes, it will have NTFS

• staceyw

How come this vid does not show up in the "Videos" list any longer?  I order by Last Topic and don't see it.  Did you remove for some reason?

Also, sharewarestarterkit.com does not even have a temp page yet.  You probably should not post a URL that just says:
    Directory Listing DeniedThis Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

• mrlinx

Hi there...
    Well, who would say...

I'm having a small problem, my mistake, ... I can't get the SSK demo working because it cant connect to the service.

I'm new to webservices... And I just cant find the reason.
    I checked the webservice with IE, worked well... The database (SSK.mdf is working well too... (even without SQL Server?))... But I allways get the "Coundn't connect to the server..."

Perhaps, looking in the wrong place?

• Eran

So are we going to have internet access on the test machine or not?

Its not mandatory, but it will make things look a lot cooler Wink

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.